layoffs

jennie

I have seen that too, as I am only there a year. I just think some of the permanent employess that I see, should be told "GOOD JOB" once in a while.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Wow, hijacked is right! Anyway, no not seasonal employee, regular p/t. But him and I now know of several others too with less than 2 years layed off.
While some on here that i wont mention talk about things that they have no idea, i will explain what should happen.

It appears that your friend is a twilight employee. It appears that the twilight shift is laying off. Now that the twilight shift has laid off, your buddy now has the right to bump any junior than him ptimer within your district. He has the option of working on the preload or perhaps within another building, depending on your lay off language.

When we are laid off here we will sit home for the first week, and than bump a junior employee the next week.

Has your friend been giving this option? If not have him call the union and start the grievance procedure, if his lay off is greivable due to seniority.

705red

Browncafe Steward
So your answer is (again, trying to avoid the hi-jacking any further) - the local doesn't give a rats ass, other than if the person laid-off questions it, the local *Should* attempt to make accomodations if there are less seniority workers still working while your friend is laid off.
Ok mr iq of 148 who is not a stupid truck driver like the rest of us! That was part of your pm to me was it not?

When you get your paycheck who is it from? United Parcel Service, correct?

This means that you work for ups and not the teamsters, correct?

When the contract is violated its up to the member who is being violated to bring it to the teamsters attention in a grievance!

Than the union gets involved! the union is only as strong as its weakest link and i can say i am glad that I'm not in your neck of the woods. You little company kiss ass!

You have a contract in place good or bad its up to you as an employee to use this to protect yourself, if you don't that's your fault! So quit your crying!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Ok mr iq of 148 who is not a stupid truck driver like the rest of us! That was part of your pm to me was it not?

When the contract is violated its up to the member who is being violated to bring it to the teamsters attention in a grievance!

Than the union gets involved! the union is only as strong as its weakest link and i can say i am glad that I'm not in your neck of the woods. You little company kiss ass!

You have a contract in place good or bad its up to you as an employee to use this to protect yourself, if you don't that's your fault! So quit your crying!

Again, direct this to the PM. I have no agenda here. UPS management can do as they wish. It is up to the members to uphold the contract. There is danger at every corner with this company, especially at this time.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well I am preload, have no idea who is twilight. I just see that some workers should be told to go.

Yeah! Preload usually has the least slackers, in my experience. As a preloader in the past, you have to hustle to make it! Twi is usually inbound and outbound, and preload for boxline/setup-but not loading cars. There's more slackers on the twi and mid for sure!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I have had 3 of my helpers get hired. It didn't happen right after Peak but within 6 months. It's not BS--if they work hard, show up ready to rock and roll, they greatly improve their chances. Of course, a strong recommendation from the driver doesn't hurt!

I wish I was that successful in getting my helpers through the door. I had a few good ones and gave them my info to use a reference. It never happened.

Maybe it was they took so long to rehire they ended up getting a different job. Or HR just doesn't go that extra mile for the driver helpers. At least, you showed that it can be done.

Yeah! Preload usually has the least slackers, in my experience. As a preloader in the past, you have to hustle to make it! Twi is usually inbound and outbound, and preload for boxline/setup-but not loading cars. There's more slackers on the twi and mid for sure!

If you can't average loading 3.5 pkgs per bin I wouldn't keep you. Maybe the unload has use for you.

I'mTheMan

While some on here that i wont mention talk about things that they have no idea, i will explain what should happen.

It appears that your friend is a twilight employee. It appears that the twilight shift is laying off. Now that the twilight shift has laid off, your buddy now has the right to bump any junior than him ptimer within your district. He has the option of working on the preload or perhaps within another building, depending on your lay off language.

When we are laid off here we will sit home for the first week, and than bump a junior employee the next week.

Has your friend been giving this option? If not have him call the union and start the grievance procedure, if his lay off is greivable due to seniority.

Well this may be in a difficult situation now since I know that UPS kept the rehires after peak when it passed 30 days. At this time, UPS is not going to keep them, they just terminated it when peak is done when seniority or pre-seniority of 30 days is passed. I know they usually keep them but not this year, I think UPS still in complaining right now due to low volume and the volume had not rises yet after peak. We're less normal volume but we're trying to win volumes back to put back in business. We may have seen a little bit but we're still waiting to see if we can get a big different in volumes when we get DHL by end of this month. If gets volume bigger, then UPS will recall or rehires the seasonal employees to make them a real part time job for them.

We don`t know where it came from but on Monday we had over 400k pieces more than forecast show up at the Cach. Everyone worked almost 12,brokers were called in,dogs and cats living together. I could see 4k pieces getting by,maybe 40k,but 400k is a third of our average daily volume.

evilleace

I our volume was way up from where it usually is almost at the levels we saw during peak this year, add that to us having a new ft sup on the preload and this was his second day at it he was freaking out. Made me laugh just watching him run around.

Reno Zepher

Wow 705red. Try and be nice. But your right. He should use the contract to his advantage. For some reason These hour lees get the impression that Some one else should look after them. Knowledge is power. The Contract is your shield. Use it. Read your contract under LAYOFFS!!!! It will show you the way Grass Hopper.

Overpaid Union Thug

We don`t know where it came from but on Monday we had over 400k pieces more than forecast show up at the Cach. Everyone worked almost 12,brokers were called in,dogs and cats living together. I could see 4k pieces getting by,maybe 40k,but 400k is a third of our average daily volume.

Been like like three days in a row for us. Tomorrow looks heavy as well. We were supposed to have helpers this week but that hasn't happened yet.

I'mTheMan

Could it be the DHL to UPS volumes maybe? Correct me if I'm wrong?