Let's talk turkey..

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Does anyone have tips on how to keep a turkey moist? My sister (hope she's not reading this) has always had a problem with the meat being too dry. I end up drowning my turkey in gravy. Still I think she's doing something wrong.

P.S.,

I never complain because I don't want her to think she can't cook. She try's hard and her other dishes are great.....except for the turkey.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm not the "Dr. Phil" of turkey roasting but.......it sounds like over cooking.

Rub turkey with Olive oil and season as you like. Roast at 325 Degrees . Tent with foil 45 mins. prior to finish time.

Interior temp at thickest part should be 170 degrees. Let it rest for a little bit before carving.

8-12 lb - 3 hours
12-14 lb. - 3-4 hours

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was going to suggest taking some of the drippings and injecting them in to the turkey to help keep it moist.

It does sound like she is overcooking the bird.

Just have a lot of everything else and sneak your turkey to the dog.

moreluck

golden ticket member
MORE THAN A DAY (Karl Fuchs)

As Thanksgiving Day rolls around,

It brings up some facts, quite profound.

We may think that we're poor,

Feel like bums, insecure,

But in truth, our riches astound.

We have friends and family we love;

We have guidance from heaven above.

We have so much more

Than they sell in a store,

We're wealthy, when push comes to shove.

So add up your blessings, I say;

Make Thanksgiving last more than a day.

Enjoy what you've got;

Realize it's a lot,

And you'll make all your cares go away.

moreluck

golden ticket member
You know it's a Redneck Thanksgiving........

if you've ever had Thanksgiving dinner on a ping pong table.

Thanksgiving dinner is squirrel & dumplings.

You've ever re-used a paper plate.

You have a complete set of salad bowls and they all say "Cool Whip" on the side.

You've ever used your ironing board as a buffet table.

On Thanksgiving Day you have to decide which pet to eat.

Your turkey platter is an old hub cap.

Your best dishes have Dixie printed on them.

Your stuffing secret ingredient comes from the bait shop.

Your only condiment on the table is ketchup.

Side dishes include beef jerky and Moon Pies.

You have to go outside to get something out of the fridge.

The directions to your house include "turn off the paved road".

You consider pork & beans to be gourmet food.

You have an Elvis jello mold.

Your secret family recipe is illegal.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I'm not the "Dr. Phil" of turkey roasting but.......it sounds like over cooking.

Rub turkey with Olive oil and season as you like. Roast at 325 Degrees . Tent with foil 45 mins. prior to finish time.

Interior temp at thickest part should be 170 degrees. Let it rest for a little bit before carving.

8-12 lb - 3 hours
12-14 lb. - 3-4 hours

Thank you..I don't care about dry turkey....I just want to eat!! Esp..homemade turkey dressing. She might be cooking at too high temp, will try your suggestion..esp the rub with olive oil part.

moreluck

golden ticket member
85985_600.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
THE TWELVE DAYS OF THANKSGIVING........

On the First Day..... We give thanks for the fresh turkey feast and its hot trimmings.

On the Second Day..... We bless the cold turkey sandwiches, sloshy cranberry sauce, and hard rolls.

On the Third Day..... We praise the turkey pie and vintage mixed veggies.

On the Fourth Day..... We thank the pilgrims for not serving bison that first time, or we'd be celebrating Thanksgiving until April.

On the Fifth Day..... We gobble up cubed bird casserole and pray for a glimpse of a naked turkey carcass.

On the Sixth Day..... We show gratitude (sort of) to the creative cook who slings cashews at the turkey and calls it Oriental.

On the Seventh Day..... We forgive our forefathers and pass the turkey-nugget pizza.

On the Eighth Day..... The word "vegetarian" keeps popping into our heads.

On the Ninth Day..... We check our hair to make sure we're not beginning to sprout feathers.

On the Tenth Day..... We hope that the wing meat kabobs catch fire under the broiler.

On the Eleventh Day..... We smile over the creamed gizzard because the thigh bones are in sight.

On the Twelfth Day..... We apologize for running out of turkey leftovers.

And everybody says AMEN!