Local 25 Contract Proposal Meetings This Weekend!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Makes since. I would think we are small too. I guess I will find out. It's my first time attending any meeting.

I suggest that you organize your thoughts before hand (write them down if you have to) and don't be afraid to speak up. Contract proposal meetings are unlike regular monthly meetings, which are usually a waste of time, in that they tend to be more productive. FTers will try to dominate but everyone has the right to be heard and to have their proposals taken seriously.

Overpaid Union Thug

I suggest that you organize your thoughts before hand (write them down if you have to) and don't be afraid to speak up. Contract proposal meetings are unlike regular monthly meetings, which are usually a waste of time, in that they tend to be more productive. FTers will try to dominate but everyone has the right to be heard and to have their proposals taken seriously.

I am going through the book tonight to take notes on what I will propose. But I am mainly going because I've been paying dues too long to have not been yet.

over9five

Staff member
Our meeting is Sunday too but I didn't hear anything about times being allocated for specific jobs.
This is the first time they've split up the meetings here. P/Ters can be intimidated by Feeder drivers and others who have a lot of seniority. This will hopefully give them a better venue (among their peers) to speak out and be heard.

Great idea, I think. Hopefully, they'll turn out.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Well, Over9five, how did your meeting go today? I have not heard when my Local 728 is having theirs yet, I missed a parking lot meeting before work the other morning.

over9five

Staff member
Good meeting, but the turnout (IMO) sucked. About 30 Feeder drivers out of 82 in CHEMA.

Package had 116 drivers show at their meeting. I would guess that's out of about 200 in CHEMA.

Geez, it's only about your job and livelihood....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good question.
I started to answer this in-depth, but now I'm not sure I should. Would I be giving away strategy? I'm not sure right now...

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.:wink2:

We had our contract proposal earlier this year. Among the proposals were bumping the starting PT wage to $10/hr with the option of $14-15/hr if the employee declines health insurance coverage. Another proposal was receiving pension contributions for all hours worked and raising the minimum hours needed for a year of pension credit from 1000 to 1500 or even higher. (The latter part of this proposal was for our pension plan only) The goal behind the last proposal was to reduce or eliminate the number of dead days taken. We proposed allowing casuals to be on the 9.5 list and scrapping the current penalty pay for 3 9.5's to automatic time and a half for all hours worked past 8 and double time for all hours worked past 9.5 regardless if you are on the list or not. We also proposed allowing pkg car and feeder drivers to have facial hair, continued free health care and no discipline based on Telematics alone.

It was also a productive meeting which also had less than expected turnout.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Good question.
I started to answer this in-depth, but now I'm not sure I should. Would I be giving away strategy? I'm not sure right now...
8am for 22.3s- that imo is shockingly bad and asking for low turnout. From what I have gathered from stewards and BAs over the years, they want low turnout on issues , as then there are less hands in the pot.

over9five

Staff member
8am for 22.3s- that imo is shockingly bad and asking for low turnout. From what I have gathered from stewards and BAs over the years, they want low turnout on issues , as then there are less hands in the pot.
Show them they're wrong. Be an adult, and get there with your coworkers at 8.
You really gonna use an 8 oclock start time once in 6 years as an excuse not to go???

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Show them they're wrong. Be an adult, and get there with your coworkers at 8.
You really gonna use an 8 oclock start time once in 6 years as an excuse not to go???
Instead, I was tending to family matters.

I spent over an hour writing down a list of ideas proposed after work last Wednesday, but the "lead steward" more or less said he wasn't interested ( although the Teamster mailing said to return any proposals to "a steward"

Ovah, if you only knew what I knew ( and only one other person I privy'd and I believe they did not say anything), you would not be so happy with your local union and leadership. I'm ashamed.

Overpaid Union Thug

We had maybe 30 show up. I expected more but then again it was my first time ever so can't really say much about that. The topics that kept coming up were adding monetary penaltys to articles that are frequently violated to cut down on the seemingly endless stream of "will comply" letters that are sent out after grievances but aren't taken seriously by the very same sups that just agreed to comply. Part time wage increases were mentioned (only by full timers surprisingly) several times. Another hot topic was the inability for employees to bid on local feeder openings other than those in their current building. Many want that changed but some want that to apply to fulltime package as well. The fact that pensions are better in some areas was brought up too.

Last edited:

govols019

You smell that?
Congratulations on attending your first monthly membership meeting. It wouldn't hurt to make it a habit to attend them regularly. Regardless of what Upstate says, they are not a waste of time. An hour or so a month is not too much time to spend to keep up to date on what's going on in your Local and the International.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Congratulations on attending your first monthly membership meeting. It wouldn't hurt to make it a habit to attend them regularly. Regardless of what Upstate says, they are not a waste of time. An hour or so a month is not too much time to spend to keep up to date on what's going on in your Local and the International.

Ours are productive for the first hour or so but invariably turn in to a pissing contest and a waste of time.

Overpaid Union Thug

Ours are productive for the first hour or so but invariably turn in to a pissing contest and a waste of time.

Ours lasted about two hours but there wasn't much of a pissing contest. Just a few disagreements here and there. Mainly between those of us in extended centers and the hub guys concerning bidding rights for feeders. The only thing that will make any of it a pissing contest is if the local and/or national doesn't consider any of our proposals.