Local 728 Hoffa/Hall rally this morning with a packed house

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My sups and managers openly tell me their hopes for better 9.5 language and other things. In hopes they don't need to work 16 hours a day. Don't be fooled, they are on our side with the working condition aspect. They just don't want us to make more $$$ than them.

I'm not sure about that last sentence.
If drivers make more than their supervisors, the supervisors will most likely get a raise.

I always hoped the drivers got good raises because that meant I got one too ... well, maybe not in the last 10 years.

stink219

My sups and managers openly tell me their hopes for better 9.5 language and other things. In hopes they don't need to work 16 hours a day. Don't be fooled, they are on our side with the working condition aspect. They just don't want us to make more $$$ than them.

I'm not sure about that last sentence.
If drivers make more than their supervisors, the supervisors will most likely get a raise.

I always hoped the drivers got good raises because that meant I got one too ... well, maybe not in the last 10 years.
I pulled in 90k for driving, tack on 36,220 for the money into my health and pension. How does that compare to an 18 year on car?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I pulled in 90k for driving, tack on 36,220 for the money into my health and pension. How does that compare to an 18 year on car?

Probably close although I have seen "total rewards" figures for a sup at $140k but he was around 25 years.

I think the discrepancy comes into play with a 10 years or less on-car that never drove.

Non-0perational sups with less than 20 years probably have a Total Rewards package less than your $126,220.

Let's see if some other sups chime in.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Does it vary that much with a manager or division manager? Obviously it would be higher.

Manager will be in the $140 - 165k range.

Division Manager will be in the $160 - 185k range.

It varies by location ... a management person in Podunk, Arkansas will not make as much as one in NYC, NY.

I was always amazed at how the hourly wages are the same across the US.
A driver in rural America is one of the highest paid people in their town.
In NYC or Chicago, a garbageman may make more.

I remember interviewing applicants for a driver position in Waycross, GA and the President of the bank was applying because the UPS drivers made more than he did.

stink219

I wondered that myself. If I lived in NY I'd more to Florida, Arizona or Vegas. Hot as balls but you clean up with housing costs and taxes.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Isn't it true that new supervisors do not get a pension, just a 401k match....so these figures will go down for new mgt...right???

moreluck

golden ticket member
I am already looking at more "pension friendly" states to move to when I retire.
Don't go blindly.......rent in the state for one year (maybe 4 seasons) so there are no surprises.
I have seen couples pull up and move to Palm Springs having never experienced a summer there. They move back real quick.......had they rented for a full year, they would've learned it's too damn hot there in the Summer.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Also,when deciding to move for tax purpose.....check the entire tax spectrum.
Some states will have no income tax, but the total of sales, property, and whatever else may total more than your present home state.

Check it out COMPLETELY !!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Isn't it true that new supervisors do not get a pension, just a 401k match....so these figures will go down for new mgt...right???

Newly hired sups - yes.
They get a higher percentage in company match for 401k.

I do feel compelled to point out that I have more in my 401k than my pension is worth (based on UPS Total Rewards).

My personal feelings is that a person is better off with a 401k than a pension but only if they are disciplined.
If anyone is not putting away money in 401k or the like, they are going to be in trouble when they want to retire.