Local 878 Members - Southern Supplement

TIMN

I have no idea the number. We have members in the smaller, rural centers who have read BrownCafe for years. In my old home center in Jonesboro there are at least 10-12 people I know of who frequent this site more often than the IBT’s. We tried a Local 878 website for a few years but had very little traffic and decided it was not a cost effective tool and believe an official Facebook page probably would just be competing with this established venue.

I’d greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks-Tim

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I am actually the principal officer of local 878. Hokey, corny or otherwise, I indeed had some members ask if I would post the meetings because some are on vacation, sleeper teams or check this site more than the bulletin board.

Not sure what benefit “grandstanding” would provide me, just feel an obligation to bring attention to arbitrator addition.

I am pretty new to communicating through social media but have decided to give it a try. If I believe something is of enough importance to address in any forum I will not hide behind anonymity and will use my name.

Can’t speak to the practice in other areas but if you are not appointed to the negotiating committee in the Southern Region you do not attend. Yes I was aware there was a possibility of the sitting arbitrator language being proposed as the new reps started “selling” the idea months ago despite our years long fight against the change for the reasons previously stated.
I'm sticking hoaky (as in a hoax),

....but if you are indeed who you claim to be, I will go with ignorant and irresponsible for using BC as a conduit for local business.

TIMN

I am indeed who I say I am. If I could ask what local you are in I may know your PO or BA and they could confirm. I do agree conducting any private union business here or anywhere else on the internet would be inappropriate but respectfully disagree with the posting of meeting times, locations or the perceived impact of contract language is ignorant or irresponsible as this information is readily available on many other platforms and does not meet the criteria of private union business. The discussion of individual grievances and committee decisions or other sensitive information which could be detrimental to the union or our members would be irresponsible. That said, I will consider this attempt at membership communication as having been unsuccessful and continue to search for other avenues which will not be as offensive to some.

Fraternally -TimN

Thebrownblob

I have no idea the number. We have members in the smaller, rural centers who have read BrownCafe for years. In my old home center in Jonesboro there are at least 10-12 people I know of who frequent this site more often than the IBT’s. We tried a Local 878 website for a few years but had very little traffic and decided it was not a cost effective tool and believe an official Facebook page probably would just be competing with this established venue.

I’d greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks-Tim
I am indeed who I say I am. If I could ask what local you are in I may know your PO or BA and they could confirm. I do agree conducting any private union business here or anywhere else on the internet would be inappropriate but respectfully disagree with the posting of meeting times, locations or the perceived impact of contract language is ignorant or irresponsible as this information is readily available on many other platforms and does not meet the criteria of private union business. The discussion of individual grievances and committee decisions or other sensitive information which could be detrimental to the union or our members would be irresponsible. That said, I will consider this attempt at membership communication as having been unsuccessful and continue to search for other avenues which will not be as offensive to some.

Fraternally -TimN
Probably best to stay anonymous on here.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Fraternally -TimN

Pay close attention to Rule #8.....Tim N, Principal Officer of Local 878, if that's who you are.

(Some people are hard to help)

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Fraternally -TimN
Are you the same Tim N that Sean O'Brien removed as an IBT Southern Region Freight Representative for a drunken altercation with the National Freight Director and the same one that threatened to kick Sean's ass too?

....or are you just someone pretending to be Tim N?

Maybe you are really Markwayne Mullin....

TIMN

I am TIMN and yes sir or ma’am I was removed as a freight rep and that’s not exactly news but the rest of your statement is inaccurate. My intention here has been to communicate with fellow Teamsters and discuss proposed contract language. Sean has done a fine job on this T/A as has the Southern Region Committee. My only criticism is the sitting arbitrator. Per me previous post, I intended to stop using BC as a means to communicate and discuss issues but that weak attempt at bullying required a response.

Thebrownblob

I am TIMN and yes sir or ma’am I was removed as a freight rep and that’s not exactly news but the rest of your statement is inaccurate. My intention here has been to communicate with fellow Teamsters and discuss proposed contract language. Sean has done a fine job on this T/A as has the Southern Region Committee. My only criticism is the sitting arbitrator. Per me previous post, I intended to stop using BC as a means to communicate and discuss issues but that weak attempt at bullying required a response.
We are a raucous group here!

You will never be an RPCD
Sheesh

Could be a good way to get information out ?
Only 339,000 members to go?
Screenshot_20230816-191534-353.png

El Correcto

god is dead
We did not review the Southern Supplement on Monday but I have since received and reviewed Southern T/A. I’m sure I will be “punished” for this but I can not recommend the Southern Supplement because of one change to Article 51 adding a setting arbitrator to hear discipline cases at the Deadlock Committee if the chairpersons reach impasse. In theory, this change speeds up the grievance procedure, which I support. In reality, fewer than 5 disciplinary grievances per year, on average, are deadlocked to arbitration. That number is less than 1% of the total grievances docketed to the SRAPGC annually.

My concern is the proposal to add a setting arbitrator as opposed to traditional arbitration was apparently a company proposal which our union committee was forced to accept. Many of us have fought that proposal for many, many years because although a setting arbitrator may speed the process for approximately 5 grievants per year, it dramatically shifts the balance of power at the SRAPGC in the company’s favor.

At present the company must spend about $15,000.00, give or take, to arbitrate a case. This cost motivates the company to settle the overwhelming number of discipline cases docketed short of traditional arbitration. With a setting arbitrator that cost will be reduced to around $300 eliminating the incentive to settle cases and increasing the number of members ultimately fired. Look out if you are an activist.
I’d like to see a counter point to this specifically.
This seemed like a pretty big change that could save money but at the same time screw the rank and file at panel.
I don’t care how speedy the process is, OJ’s trial took nearly a year and he got away with murder, I care about the quality of the defense and the incentives to reach a good deal for the employee. This seems to make it easier to fire employees. We have a great track record so far of people coming back with back pay if they choose to stay out. I don’t have a problem with the current status quo, it seems UPS does.