Looking to change shifts: is preloading worse than loading?

door10

When I worked preload start time was 3:30 to 3:45. Of course driver start time was 8:00 AM and we would be wrapped and walking out the door most days. Average 22.5 hours a week compared to 15 hours working in the Hub. 3 hour guarantee back then.
Our driver start time is 9am so even though hey bring us in early at 250 or 3am they still is his to be done at 815/830 but we never get done on time.

Box Ox

I've seen plenty of people move from preload to local sort. 0 people from local sort to preload. If you can avoid preload, do it.

door10

I've seen plenty of people move from preload to local sort. 0 people from local sort to preload. If you can avoid preload, do it.

I wouldn't avoid preload completely. Some people like it, a lot of people hate it but it's good money and you do have some good times on boxline or the belt.

km3

So what aspect (or aspects) about it do people hate? The stress of trying to finish 4 or 5 package cars on time, supervisors, drivers, or something else?

I'm curious to know what it is that makes it a less appealing job than loading feeder trailers, which is what I do now.

I wouldn't avoid preload completely. Some people like it, a lot of people hate it but it's good money and you do have some good times on boxline or the belt.
Define "good times". Had more fun in the sort aisle chatting with the guys next to you. Loading package cars is just so intense now.

So what aspect (or aspects) about it do people hate? The stress of trying to finish 4 or 5 package cars on time, supervisors, drivers, or something else?

I'm curious to know what it is that makes it a less appealing job than loading feeder trailers, which is what I do now.
Biggest headache is all the accountability you have. 3 or 4 drivers wanting the cars loaded just so. PT sups wanting you to just throw the boxes in the car and get of the clock. FT sups getting beat up over misloads at the same time they want you to go faster. Bad PAL's and off SPA's at the same time sups tell you not to look at the address label just load by the PAL. And now you do not even get the extra Dollar preload pay. Loading trailers is hard work, but brainless work and as long as you don't misload and keep a good pace you are good. How many times have you had a Feeder driver complain about your load quality?

door10

Define "good times". Had more fun in the sort aisle chatting with the guys next to you. Loading package cars is just so intense now.

I agree it's intense but talking to sups while you do kinda makes it less worse. And joking around with everyone takes your mind off how brutal it gets

Pooter

If you put some "effort" then preload is the way to go. I much rather handle 1k to 1200 packages than whatever it is for
Un/loading.

It becomes even easier once you get your own set of trucks instead of bouncing around.

door10

If you put some "effort" then preload is the way to go. I much rather handle 1k to 1200 packages than whatever it is for
Un/loading.

It becomes even easier once you get your own set of trucks instead of bouncing around.

Eh, if you unload you just throw boxes without any placement, just pull and throw on the belt. Loading you actually have to think about what you're doing. Preloading is great if you can do that

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Eh, if you unload you just throw boxes without any placement, just pull and throw on the belt. Loading you actually have to think about what you're doing. Preloading is great if you can do that

You are supposed to make sure that the boxes land labels up so that all the SPA person has to do is scan, print and apply.

door10

You are supposed to make sure that the boxes land labels up so that all the SPA person has to do is scan, print and apply.

Not in my center, we go into the trailer and just pull the wall of boxes down and throw on the belt. We have people further down the belt flip them face up. That's why unloading is easy and mindless.