Loyalty is Laid to Rest; Grave is Next to Partnership’s; RIP My Old Friends

Lemvil

I realize the show is "fluff" but "Undercover Boss" has so many episodes where the CEO states "I had no idea my (or the board's) decision would have this impact." Is our CEO/Board so out of touch they no longer realize what it means when an employee receives little or no raise? Do they really believe that these pay bands will accurately reflect the value of every employee? I know of many 20, 25 year employees that did not receive a raise or received a raise that will not cover the cost of inflation. Yet, every year we raise our rates in excess of inflation. How does our board and our executives believe this is in the best interest of the company? If our stock price were at a 52-week high, then they could use this as justification. But even this is not the case. Anyone up for a trip to Atlanta to let those on the plaza level know we are not happy?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The Employer of Choice Index is going to be very interesting this year. There was seemingly a lot of hand wringing about the low score this year. I know personally, I will no longer recommend UPS as a good place to work. It's sad really...

I still recommend UPS as a good place to work. It is still better than many corporations.

It's just doesn't seem like a great place to work for people who have been here for 15 years or more because it is compared to the UPS of the past.

New UPSers coming in don't have the past to compare to. To them, UPS is just another ABC corporation to work at and get a paycheck and a checkoff for their resume. They will put in a couple of years and if they have ambition, they will go to another company at a higher salary. They will leave that company in another couple of years for a job at a higher salary and so on. That is the nature of corporations.

OK, it's a little sad ...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I still recommend UPS as a good place to work. It is still better than many corporations.

It's just doesn't seem like a great place to work for people who have been here for 15 years or more because it is compared to the UPS of the past.

New UPSers coming in don't have the past to compare to. To them, UPS is just another ABC corporation to work at and get a paycheck and a checkoff for their resume. They will put in a couple of years and if they have ambition, they will go to another company at a higher salary. They will leave that company in another couple of years for a job at a higher salary and so on. That is the nature of corporations.

OK, it's a little sad ...

like you have said in the past, you miss your old friend. Come here big guy let me wipe that tear from your eye....ok....ummm that sounded a little freaky..lol

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You speak as from behind a desk somewhere in Atlanta.
There are far too many variables that you have failed to include.
Load quality,misloads,and overdispatching,make the methods next to useless.
How can you explain 1.50 over with a sup with me all day saying I had great methods?
Hmmm maybe it's reality.

Im being a smart a$s here..hopefully you caught that, maybe not. If someone is 1.5 hours over on an average 10+hour day that is only 10 minutes an hour over which seems to me could be the time study, hell one pissed off customer could eat that and more in an hour. They dont want to pay bonus, and want you to go faster and they will use ANY means to get that no mater if your working safe or not thus tightening up everthing. Sorry but id rather get talked to than slipping a disk in my back and never work again because I was trying to mandhandle that 100 lb box onto a dock because I didnt want to back the truck for one pkg per ups methods..

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Im just saying that if an outside company went out and timed us and everything we did we would probably gain time..not like that would EVER happen in 100 years since ups has a world class IE department that has won numerous awards and are top in their field...ok im starting to sound like the upstate guy.

I am from IE, I am here to help you....

Tough place to work lately. Ask a management person to do something - responses include comments about the task vs the persons qpr. Stealth resistance while the "partnership smile and head nod continue."

2nd quarter will be an absolute ball buster. Year over year comps will get tough now that we are out of the weather issues from q1 2011. Increased fuel cost will put cost pressure on the results. Safety is flat to last year.
Corp response is to bring 20 to 30% of the districts in to explain how they will turn their safety results around. They now have distributed a YouTube clip from some movie for motivation. (search: motivational football coach teaches how to overcome our limits or facing the giants).

Too bad the real message in the video is that this is your life at ups!
a). Get identified as a leader. B). State the obvious to upper management - get singled out to be made an example for others c). Put Blindfold on and be asked to perform a difficult task. D). Have someone scream directions to you as you craw through the assignment, blindfolded, and only allowed to use 50% of the resources available. E) Carry other co workers on your back as you labor to exhaustion. friend). Perform the task to the most excellent level possible - while many other team members stand with their arms folded while they watch. G) have your superior scream "motivational" messages in your ear while you set new standards for excellence. H) have your superior "coach" you one inch over the finish line - then say one or two nice things, and then walk off - leaving you totally spent, and near death on the other side of the proverbial goal line.

Motivational video - give me everything you got, or life at ups? You'll have to decide! "give me all you got - and you have all you're going to get!"

And I thought it was just our division manager that sent this to only our division....guess I was wrong. This would be great if I had to have someone get on my back and do a bear crawl, I could make it. But our job isn't a football game and in my experience, anytime we get close to the goal line, the goal line gets moved. That's why every year we have to get better. I can't wait to see the next Usain Bolt run the hundred meters in less than 8 seconds, but every year we have to improve. It is amazing the true lack of motivation I have after just seeing my increase. Right about 2.25% and the other sups that I work closely with got just about the same, but no more. How fricking exciting!! It continues to baffle me how div mgr level and above expect any sup to be (and stay) motivated. The thing that baffles me even more is their ability to convince themselves that our stock will one day pay off for a young supervisor. I sat through reportback not long ago and had to listen as a few mgrs told us to just hold on to it, it will pay off. I am not a math major, but simple math tells me that at a rate of approximately 50-100 shares a year, I ain't getting too rich anytime in the future!!! I could be wrong, but I see no way to acquire shares like people did years before me. Anyhow, I will show up to work Monday and count down the days until the next Friday and get excited for the weekend. Tough way to go through ones working career, but that is how it is for me and my fellow full time sups in my building. I truly wish I felt differently, but I think my feelings are becoming the rule, not the exception.

Karma...

And I thought it was just our division manager that sent this to only our division....guess I was wrong. This would be great if I had to have someone get on my back and do a bear crawl, I could make it. But our job isn't a football game and in my experience, anytime we get close to the goal line, the goal line gets moved. That's why every year we have to get better. I can't wait to see the next Usain Bolt run the hundred meters in less than 8 seconds, but every year we have to improve. It is amazing the true lack of motivation I have after just seeing my increase. Right about 2.25% and the other sups that I work closely with got just about the same, but no more. How fricking exciting!! It continues to baffle me how div mgr level and above expect any sup to be (and stay) motivated. The thing that baffles me even more is their ability to convince themselves that our stock will one day pay off for a young supervisor. I sat through reportback not long ago and had to listen as a few mgrs told us to just hold on to it, it will pay off. I am not a math major, but simple math tells me that at a rate of approximately 50-100 shares a year, I ain't getting too rich anytime in the future!!! I could be wrong, but I see no way to acquire shares like people did years before me. Anyhow, I will show up to work Monday and count down the days until the next Friday and get excited for the weekend. Tough way to go through ones working career, but that is how it is for me and my fellow full time sups in my building. I truly wish I felt differently, but I think my feelings are becoming the rule, not the exception.
True enough except for the "raise" comment....Davis and the rest got a raise while you matched inflation. and stayed flat. I suggest people consider the time value of money and go to an inflation calculator. The sad fact is that most management will be taking a yearly pay cut. While you are at the inflation calculator and plugging in your pay do the same with the stock price, house prices, college costs etc....You will easily see why the old time ups management loved ups. There is an incredible negetive difference between the two companies of United Parcel Service and ups. At what pay grade are you a partner ? It will be interesting to see what the union people at ups will negotiate in their next contracts, The money will be coming from the no "raises" of certain levels of management. Thats a weird partnership.

upscorpis

There are more things on the way that will continue the erosion. As the company continues its descent of becoming just one of the many, what is left to recommend; the paychecks don't bounce, it looks good on a resume? That's just not enough to gain my endorsement.

Karma...

There are more things on the way that will continue the erosion. As the company continues its descent of becoming just one of the many, what is left to recommend; the paychecks don't bounce, it looks good on a resume? That's just not enough to gain my endorsement.
Whats next? End or modified MIP? Increased monthly health costs? Another buy out to get rid of the over 55 people and clear the way for some movement? Management on hourly compensation ? Any good news on the horizon? The teamsters are missing a golden oppurtunity for organizing the pt and ft supers, especially the pt because they are pretty much on the clock.

hangin455

The "outside" board members are attempting to treat this company like any other transportation company. The compensation committee wants to compensate everyone at the industry average. The problem lies in that this is not an average company in this industry. The sacrifices made here would never happen in any other company. In the past the board was better represented by those who had an understanding of what it takes to work here.
If they insist on paying us on an industry average then the least they could do is give us "Industry Average" working conditions and hours.

sosocal

The "outside" board members are attempting to treat this company like any other transportation company. The compensation committee wants to compensate everyone at the industry average. The problem lies in that this is not an average company in this industry. The sacrifices made here would never happen in any other company. In the past the board was better represented by those who had an understanding of what it takes to work here.
If they insist on paying us on an industry average then the least they could do is give us "Industry Average" working conditions and hours.

unfortunately - I am seeing previously dedicated and bright management people - doing their best to balance their time and effort with the new compensation proposition. Essentially taking matters into their own hands. I don't blame them...But I do see a problematic future because of it. An old boss of mine who I greatly admired told me last week "I am too old under the new compensation band to get a raise-- so whats the point-- I'm going home"...It was 2:30...same time he leaves everyday now after his 9 hours are up.

beentheredonethat

unfortunately - I am seeing previously dedicated and bright management people - doing their best to balance their time and effort with the new compensation proposition. Essentially taking matters into their own hands. I don't blame them...But I do see a problematic future because of it. An old boss of mine who I greatly admired told me last week "I am too old under the new compensation band to get a raise-- so whats the point-- I'm going home"...It was 2:30...same time he leaves everyday now after his 9 hours are up.

That's exactly the same attitude I see from many mgmt people.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Be prepared to see more of it if upper executive compensation keeps increasing while the front line loses ground. The message is that front line work is far less valuable than their work. We get the message loud and clear.

That is the way it always has been ... it's just that the culture of United Parcel Service was one based on humbleness.

UPS has yet to develop a culture that I can tell. Maybe that will come.

The expression I've heard in the last couple of years that may express this fairly well is. "Your job may be important but you are not."

This is most applicable to those in level 20 and above but that attitude flows down to the lower levels as well.

beentheredonethat

I think you'll see slow changes for a little while. There's a lot of mid 40's Mgrs around that even though they are disgruntled a bit and are capped. It will be hard for them to stop working the 50 - 60 hr work weeks. However, I see most of the 20 and 30 year old supvs\mgrs putting in 8-9 hours and are out the door.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
I doubt that the board has thought through the implications of 2013 being a contract year, which means they need the front line management to help sell the contract. Which is NOT going to happen under these circumstances.

Time to sell more stock.