Lunches..taken before work or on route?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
What is the posted start time? All time on the clock before a posted start time is paid as overtime.
We are, technically, not allowed to be at the building more than 15 minutes prior to start time. It's called loitering. This generally isn't enforced until drivers start abusing being on the truck before start time.

klein

Für Meno :)
I wish ours would do the same.

Now, why is that ?
If the center manager is really nice, why can't he just ask drivers if they want to work thru their lunchbreak, and get paid straight time !
Wouldn't that make more sense ? Besides the drivers will be better rested (1 hr more sleep), and therfore more alert and less likely to have screw-ups or accidents.

Sounds kinda screwey to me, to be there an hr early - then get paid straight time, anyways, afterwards.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Now, why is that ?
If the center manager is really nice, why can't he just ask drivers if they want to work thru their lunchbreak, and get paid straight time !
Wouldn't that make more sense ? Besides the drivers will be better rested (1 hr more sleep), and therfore more alert and less likely to have screw-ups or accidents.

Sounds kinda screwey to me, to be there an hr early - then get paid straight time, anyways, afterwards.
Go back and follow the progression of the conversation before you stick your nose into it. Contrary to your own personal belief you DO NOT know everything.

Last edited:
Now, why is that ?

How `d that work for you to take your lunch at the end of the workday there Kleinekin?

sendagain

I used to get to work a half hour early because the traffic sometimes delayed me half an hour, but I would check out my load and see how it looked. Sometimes preload was total chaos and I needed to get on the clock to help load. Other times I had so many nda, that I straightened it out before my start time. How many times I came down to the last minute to get the air off, I can't tell you, but trying to line up 60 nda after the morning meeting was stupidity. The drive to the route usually left me with less than an hour to get the air off.

I also would save my lunch till the end of the day when things got heavy, taking it after my deliveries were all done in the evening. I made sure my customers got all their deliveries and pickups, and I took my breaks when it made sense to take them, not by some preset hour that put my customers in jeopardy and cranked up my stress level. Giving the drivers flexibility on the route just makes good sense.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I used to get to work a half hour early because the traffic sometimes delayed me half an hour, but I would check out my load and see how it looked. Sometimes preload was total chaos and I needed to get on the clock to help load. Other times I had so many nda, that I straightened it out before my start time. How many times I came down to the last minute to get the air off, I can't tell you, but trying to line up 60 nda after the morning meeting was stupidity. The drive to the route usually left me with less than an hour to get the air off.

I also would save my lunch till the end of the day when things got heavy, taking it after my deliveries were all done in the evening. I made sure my customers got all their deliveries and pickups, and I took my breaks when it made sense to take them, not by some preset hour that put my customers in jeopardy and cranked up my stress level. Giving the drivers flexibility on the route just makes good sense.

UPS made a business decision to enter into a contract that requires you to be paid for all hours worked.

They also made a business decision to dispatch you with a certain number of NDA packages with a certain commit time.

If those two decisions are not compatible, why should you then have to work off of the clock in order to solve their problem?

I faced a similar situation once when the company made a business decision to change the commit time in my area from noon to 10:30 while at the same time refusing to dispatch any additional drivers or make any adjustments to my delivery area or stop count.

Rather than "solving" their problem by coming in early and working off of the clock, I warned my management team ahead of time about their problem and then simply delivered as many as I safely could by 10:30 and allowed the rest to be service failures.

It took a week and about 30 or 40 late air before the consequences of their stupidity became so painful that they could no longer ignore the problem and were instead forced to actually solve it by dispatching the additional drivers that were required in the first place.

Sometimes you have to allow things to fail rather than enabling them to continue.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Sometimes you have to allow things to fail rather than enabling them to continue.

That's it in a nutshell!!!
Come on drivers, stop taking the path of least managerial resistance and work toward a solution.
Treating the symptoms does not solve the problems.
It just perpetuates them.

CVG

our center manager lets drivers take their lunches before start time (ie. start time 8:30 punch in at 7:30 and take hour lunch). my question is this benefiting the driver or ups? give your opinion...

If the center manager "lets" them do it...benefits employee. "Makes" them do it would be a problem.

brett636

Technically that is against our local supplement. We are supposed to take our lunch between the 3rd and 6th hour of work. Although in feeders when 12-14 hour days are common we wait a little longer. ;)

leastbest

LeastBest
Another thing not mentioned. Say a driver comes in early, takes his lunch before start time. Then I come to work and don't. I want to work like a normal human being and eat lunch in the middle of the day. I'm the bad guy and will be treated accordingly because I'm not a team player. I've been there and it's not a good place to be.

Randy
www.leastbest.com

Crumb

Truth Seeker
My start time is 8:40 a.m. I deliver me nda's, take a 10 minute break at 10:30, followed by my 50 minute lunch, which starts at 10:40, at exactly the beginning of my 3rd hour. Whenever I am asked (which is asked or offered by seniority to all drivers present and available)to help out with preload, and start before my posted start time, I am paid overtime. If I have too much nda's as was previously posted, I notify my sup that I need nda help. If no help is given, and I'm not able to get all nda off in time, then they're late. It doesn't stress me out. Sometimes we create our own stress, and believe me, that's what they want. Don't fall into traps.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
UPS made a business decision to enter into a contract that requires you to be paid for all hours worked.

They also made a business decision to dispatch you with a certain number of NDA packages with a certain commit time.

If those two decisions are not compatible, why should you then have to work off of the clock in order to solve their problem?

I faced a similar situation once when the company made a business decision to change the commit time in my area from noon to 10:30 while at the same time refusing to dispatch any additional drivers or make any adjustments to my delivery area or stop count.

Rather than "solving" their problem by coming in early and working off of the clock, I warned my management team ahead of time about their problem and then simply delivered as many as I safely could by 10:30 and allowed the rest to be service failures.

It took a week and about 30 or 40 late air before the consequences of their stupidity became so painful that they could no longer ignore the problem and were instead forced to actually solve it by dispatching the additional drivers that were required in the first place.

don't be an enabler