Mayors

moreluck

golden ticket member
Ban the Big Gulps but celebrate the donuts........he's nuts!!

Fresh Off His Sneak Attack On Big Gulps, NYC Mayor Bloomberg To Proclaim Friday … National Donut Day… Even better, his proclamation will share the stage with “the largest box of Entenmann’s Donuts ever created.”

From the Entenmann’s press release:
A sweet celebration, 75 years in the making! Entenmann’s Bakery, the famous maker of more than 100 sweet baked goods, and The Salvation Army have partnered to celebrate the 75th National Donut Day, June 1st, 2012 with a sweet celebration at Madison Square Park in New York City.

The National Donut Day holiday, held annually on the first Friday of June, was established by The Salvation Army in 1938 in Chicago to honor the “Donut Lassies” who served these treats to soldiers during World War I and to help raise needed funds during the Great Depression. This significant occasion established the donut as a long-standing symbol of the services The Salvation Army continues to provide.

To celebrate the historical milestone, Entenmann’s will present a donation check for $25,000 to The Salvation Army, unveil the largest box of Entenmann’s Donuts ever created along with custom-made donuts 1-foot in diameter, and share a Proclamation Letter from Mayor Bloomberg. Entenmann’s will also be providing free donuts and The Salvation Army’s Canteen truck will be providing free coffee from 7 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the southwest corner of Madison Square Park, 23rd Street & Broadway.
So apparently it’s acceptable to eat fat-laden donuts but whatever you do, don’t wash it down with a soda.
HT: JJ

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The Mayor was on the Today show and this hypocrisy was discussed. He gave a very simple answer--all things in moderation. One donut is fine---a dozen is not. As far as the super size sodas, you would still be able to get 32 oz of soda--it would just be served in two glasses, not one.

There was the same type of resistance when he instituted smoking bans in public places---the majority of people now are in favor of this rule.

This applies just to regular soda---diet soda, water, coffee, dairy products or fruit juices with 70% or more juice content would not be affected.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You can't even begin to compare this to smoking bans second hand smoke causes real damage. If someone spills a soda on u do u suddenly get fat? No!!! This won't change the fact that these people have no will power. Don't get me started on how bad diet soda is for you. First what artificial sweetners break down to in your body is pretty disgusting stuff and really strains your liver kidneys and such. Second there have been many studies that show people that drink diet only actually weigh more than people that drink regular soda.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I wasn't comparing the impact of the two---I agree with you on this--I was only commenting on the initial resistance to the smoking ban and how it is being played out again with the ban on soda.

While soda may not impact you or I directly it will impact our wallets when those who are impacted by soda begin to have health problems.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Boy, talk about occupying the police with petty pot busts........now they'll be busy busting soda drinkers who text while walking and humming Last Dance wearing no shoes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

NYC is already looking in to reducing the burden on their court system in regard to pot cases by starting a ticket system with a set fine structure. If you are caught, you are issued a ticket and must pay the applicable fine. No court time, no record. Kind of like the way UPS and FedEx handle parking tickets in major cities--they negotiate a set amount to be paid each year.

P

pickup

First they came for the cigarettes
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a smoker.
Then they came for the sodas,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a soda drinker.
Then they came for the Booze,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a drinker.
Then they came for my Steak
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

By the way, in case you haven't heard, Mike Bloomberg's beard, I mean girlfriend, the FIRST GIRLFRIEND suffered an ankle injury the other day. http://awalkintheparknyc.blogspot.com/2012/05/bloombergs-girlfriend-breaks-ankle-in.html

She is now representing the fine city of New York on crutches. Not surprisingly, Mayor Bloomberg went a little nuts with his soda legislation , now that his girlfriend was not there to counter balance him.

TOS is right, we can't have a first lady(girlfriend) that can't walk on her own. When is Bloomberg going to be recalled?​

moreluck

golden ticket member
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Friday defended his controversial proposal to limit the soda size in restaurants, quipping that extra large drinks aren’t what “the Founding Fathers fought for.”

Gee, who manned the 7-11's back then? Did saddles have cup holders? I can't picture Washington using a straw.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They fought for freedom and the right to choose so uh yeah they kind of did fight for my right to buy a big gulp if I want it.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Friday defended his controversial proposal to limit the soda size in restaurants, quipping that extra large drinks aren’t what “the Founding Fathers fought for.”

Gee, who manned the 7-11's back then? Did saddles have cup holders? I can't picture Washington using a straw.

Why is this an issue for you?? Its about peoples health and choices. Its also about reducing the size of garbage on both city streets and landfills.

The larger the cups the larger the trash.

That much drink is ridiculous anyways. Who is stupid enough to buy a drink that size and finish it?

Peace

TOS

texan

True he did not use a straw, but he had a Blackberry.
George-Washington-on-his-Blackberry--53548.jpg

texan

Is Bloomberg’s proposed ban on big sodas the carbonated camel’s nose under the tent?

NEW YORK — Just how far would a government go to protect us from ourselves?In New York City — which
already bans smoking in public parks in the name of public health and bars artificial trans fats from food
served in restaurants — Mayor Michael Bloomberg now wants to stop sales of large sodas and other sugary
drinks, in a bid to battle obesity.

But in a country where fries have been equated with freedom, Bloomberg’s proposal raises super-sized
questions about governm nt’s role in shaping and restricting individual choices.

What’s next, a Twinkie purge?

Is Bloomberg's proposed ban on big sodas the carbonated camel’s nose under the tent? - The Washington Post

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why is this an issue for you?? Its about peoples health and choices. Its also about reducing the size of garbage on both city streets and landfills.

The larger the cups the larger the trash.

That much drink is ridiculous anyways. Who is stupid enough to buy a drink that size and finish it?

Peace

TOS

Liberty, Freedom and Individual choice and Responsibility.

I assumed you did not understand the concepts and here's the proof.

Tease

POS

moreluck

golden ticket member
I fill my 32 oz. mug that I've carried for over 10 years now....same mug......how is that filling up the trash, all knowing one.
It gets washed out and reused the next day.........!

It could be ice water, it could be Diet Coke......but none of anyone's business what's in my black mug!!!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Liberty, Freedom and Individual choice and Responsibility.

I assumed you did not understand the concepts and here's the proof.

Tease

POS

Liberty??? Freedom???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

How about kidney disease? Liver damage? Being too Stupid for your OWN good isnt freedom, its a burden on society. If youre dumb enough to drink 32 oz of soda without realizing what it can do to your body, then its going to take the elimination of that size to help YOU.

Secondly, our landfills are filling up faster than you might think. Excess trash is piling up everywhere.. IN New York, trash is everywhere.

1f6ed8f660487c7ef49ebc7347eee435.jpg

Heres your liberty and freedom in action HOAX.

Peace

TOS