Miraculous Healings

Packmule

Sitting here with tendinitis in my shoulder, bum knees that feel so much better on the weekends, and high blood pressure that is only high when trying to pass a DOT physical.
Would like to work till 2017 just to get raises to pension, but not sure it's worth it.
So how many of you retires have experienced miraculous healing after leaving UPS?

oldngray

nowhere special
Sitting here with tendinitis in my shoulder, bum knees that feel so much better on the weekends, and high blood pressure that is only high when trying to pass a DOT physical.
Would like to work till 2017 just to get raises to pension, but not sure it's worth it.
So how many of you retires have experienced miraculous healing after leaving UPS?

I am much healthier and pain free after retiring. After gaining weight like a feeder driver at first I lost that and weigh less now than I did when I first retired. Blood pressure was borderline high and it has dropped to comfortably within normal range. I sleep better and don't have to pop ibuprophin in the morning like I did before going to work.Knees and back don't hurt now but I still have damage from the years of wear and tear. If you have the option of retiring and are in a financial position to be able to do it, then go for it. A couple of more years of working and I would have been a cripple I think.

Packmule

With 36 years in, 31 full time, I could leave now at today's cost of living. But I'm only 54 and gotta think long term on a fixed income. Sure am getting tired of hurting all the time though. 2 month ago I fell on ice an bruised a knee. Now I strained a shoulder wrestling my snowblower around. Nothing ever gets adequate time to heal when working.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
With 36 years in, 31 full time, I could leave now at today's cost of living. But I'm only 54 and gotta think long term on a fixed income. Sure am getting tired of hurting all the time though. 2 month ago I fell on ice an bruised a knee. Now I strained a shoulder wrestling my snowblower around. Nothing ever gets adequate time to heal when working.
Your getting old!
Everything hurts when you exert yourself.
Don't wrestle with snowblowers!

oldupsman

I had the same numbers you have. I retired at 55 with 32 fulltime years. My knees no longer hurt. My back
no longer hurts. I used to go to the chrio every 3 months. Haven't been there for over 4 years.
I'm in the best shape of my life. I run 6 miles and lift weights 4 days a week. I don't know your financial
situation. But I can promise you this. If you leave things will work out. You'll be amazed how much
money you save not going to work. And you will never regret leaving at 55. NEVER.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You'll be amazed how much
money you save not going to work.

I am very frugal and 4 days out of 5 I don't spend a dime while on the clock as I bring my lunch and drink and take my break at home. On the days when I am unable to take my break at home I will take it at Dunkin' Donuts ($4).

I was off on Monday and came back to a trash can full of empty soda/energy drink cans and scratch-off lottery tickets. There had to be at least $10-15 worth of stuff in that bin.

I have another co-worker who told us he spends $14/day while on road. He was shocked when we did the math and told him what he was spending each month was basically a car payment.

My worry is that if I don't find something to do to occupy my time during retirement that I will spend out of boredom.

oldupsman

I am very frugal and 4 days out of 5 I don't spend a dime while on the clock as I bring my lunch and drink and take my break at home. On the days when I am unable to take my break at home I will take it at Dunkin' Donuts ($4).

I was off on Monday and came back to a trash can full of empty soda/energy drink cans and scratch-off lottery tickets. There had to be at least $10-15 worth of stuff in that bin.

I have another co-worker who told us he spends $14/day while on road. He was shocked when we did the math and told him what he was spending each month was basically a car payment.

My worry is that if I don't find something to do to occupy my time during retirement that I will spend out of boredom.

Sounds like you live close to your building. I had a 45 minute commute one way. I saved thousands just in gas money.

Packmule

You and me both on the spending. Can't believe how much garbage cover drivers leave in the truck and why they would want to buy that stuff in the first place.

Packmule

Well I talk to my BA this weekend about retirement issues. Possibly spring next year. No promises. Scary as hell! Brown has been a part of my life since I was 18 years old! And now that my latest aches and pains are feeling better--and spring is here--I'm having second thoughts!