Missed origin

Grey

Had a PU at Macy's this past Monday and they had over 500 pieces. About 250 were boxes and rest in about 7-8 fully packed bags and a NDA was in one of them that I obviously didn't know about. The end of day said there were 9 NDA's and I had them scanned and accounted for so thought I was clear.

Do they really expect us to empty 8 full bags and go thru 250 of those small pieces? That would take freaking forever to put them back in the bags or tote. Anyway the warning letter is coming and it's completely unreasonable IMO.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Had a PU at Macy's this past Monday and they had over 500 pieces. About 250 were boxes and rest in about 7-8 fully packed bags and a NDA was in one of them that I obviously didn't know about. The end of day said there were 9 NDA's and I had them scanned and accounted for so thought I was clear.

Do they really expect us to empty 8 full bags and go thru 250 of those small pieces? That would take freaking forever to put them back in the bags or tote. Anyway the warning letter is coming and it's completely unreasonable IMO.

I understand your situation, but from now on if the EOD says 9 NDA's, then when you get back to the hub open the bags and find all the airs and separate them as per your local practice. ALWAYS CYA

The NDA was in the bag?

You need to ask the folks at Macy's not to do that.

I would not be ASKING them anything. I would tell them that the air packages NEED to be segregated, or I'd "forget" to pick them up one day. Oops, accidents happen

Grey

I understand your situation, but from now on if the EOD says 9 NDA's, then when you get back to the hub open the bags and find all the airs and separate them as per your local practice. ALWAYS CYA

I would not be ASKING them anything. I would tell them that the air packages NEED to be segregated, or I'd "forget" to pick them up one day. Oops, accidents happen

I had the same amount of NDA's accounted for that the EOD was showing. That's why I didn't think anything of it at the time. So not only was there more NDA's than the EOD was showing but they also didn't put the one in the bag with the other ones. We also don't throw our PU's on the belt. We leave them in the truck after dropping the NDA's at the air dock.

By The Book

I had the same amount of NDA's accounted for that the EOD was showing. That's why I didn't think anything of it at the time. So not only was there more NDA's than the EOD was showing but they also didn't put the one in the bag with the other ones. We also don't throw our PU's on the belt. We leave them in the truck after dropping the NDA's at the air dock.
The only thing I would add is to verify the counts on the EOD.,All airs/internationals, things you would offload. I would also scan each air/international and put these under special count a., and intl. sounds like they processed 1 more next day air and didn't print out an end of day for it. I would have your on car pay them a visit, or call the shipping manager so this doesn't happen again. I think the 1 air found in the bag was on the EOD. One of the 9 airs you verified was not on the EOD., if that makes sense.

Yozh69

That happened at the Macys I picked-up from. I pulled up just after and they asked if I could wait a minute while they relabeled the UPS stuff left that day so I could take them on my regular FedEx pickup.

Sure. I had a few extra minutes :)

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Did it miss the plane? I only ask because it sounds a little extreme to get a warning letter for a missed pickup scan. We got a new directive last week on left in buildings and they're starting to come down hard on it. If it didn't make service I could see them issuing one.

BrownChoice

If you find an air after making the air drop or you miss the plane. Do not hide it. Turn it in to the oms or clerk and they may be able to make it an exception, just don't try to lie about it. Mistakes happen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you find an air after making the air drop or you miss the plane. Do not hide it. Turn it in to the oms or clerk and they may be able to make it an exception, just don't try to lie about it. Mistakes happen.

It used to be that they would do all that they could to ensure that the package made service. I recall one time our center manager actually drove to Albany to make sure air that had not made our plane would make theirs. I can also recall several "line flights".

Now they make it an exception.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The total was 9 airs, and you had 9 airs, right? Or, were you missing one?

When I'm missing one, I tell the sup. Usually, they have the unloader rip through it to find.

PrimeUPS

Macy's has a habit of mixing things together, to them it's just a bulk shipment. They don't understand the ins and outs of how we process things in the evening.
If I were you, I'd get real chummy with the metro unloaders and their supervisor. Have them on the lookout for the air. Or it may sit there for a while and miss the plane. In turn, you might want to consider helping them out and working with them to empty the car.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If I were you, I'd get real chummy with the metro unloaders and their supervisor. Have them on the lookout for the air.
The driver who does our Macy's pickup warned me when I first started as supervisor and I make sure his car is unloaded immediately and the smalls sorted so we don't miss air. It happens quite a bit actually.

oldngray

nowhere special
Some shippers do that but if they are big enough they can get away with it. If there are any mistakes they blame UPS and of course then it is all on the PU driver.

PrimeUPS

Some shippers do that but if they are big enough they can get away with it. If there are any mistakes they blame UPS and of course then it is all on the PU driver.

How are they getting away with anything? They are paying for you to come by and pickup packages that they are paying for us to process within the commitment times we've promised. It's not rocket science. They don't care any more about how we go about doing that as long as we deliver on those commitments as we care about how they plan their Thanksgiving Day parade. That's their business, logistics is ours. It's pretty simple. They aren't getting away with anything, we're not doing our job.

It is the responsibility of the driver to process their air in most locations. I've never seen a large hub with gateway departure times not require drivers (you're paid do it) process the air, even if it's just getting it on the air belt before the cutoff time. In the event that Twilight needs to do it for you (especially if you're coming up on the pull times) you can bet a twilight sup is writing your car number down and is charging time to your center. Yes, in the event the piece is MO, YOU WILL tagged for it. What everyone needs to understand is that air is big business, people pay a lot for that air depending on the size and destination; a driver that is flippant about it won't be driving long.

oldngray

nowhere special
How are they getting away with anything? They are paying for you to come by and pickup packages that they are paying for us to process within the commitment times we've promised. It's not rocket science. They don't care any more about how we go about doing that as long as we deliver on those commitments as we care about how they plan their Thanksgiving Day parade. That's their business, logistics is ours. It's pretty simple. They aren't getting away with anything, we're not doing our job.

It is the responsibility of the driver to process their air in most locations. I've never seen a large hub with gateway departure times not require drivers (you're paid do it) process the air, even if it's just getting it on the air belt before the cutoff time. In the event that Twilight needs to do it for you (especially if you're coming up on the pull times) you can bet a twilight sup is writing your car number down and is charging time to your center. Yes, in the event the piece is MO, YOU WILL tagged for it. What everyone needs to understand is that air is big business, people pay a lot for that air depending on the size and destination; a driver that is flippant about it won't be driving long.

They are supposed to segregate air packages from ground instead of containerizing them together. It is definitely not the job of the driver to process air - just pick it up and unload at air recovery if necessary.

PrimeUPS

They are supposed to segregate air packages from ground instead of containerizing them together. It is definitely not the job of the driver to process air - just pick it up and unload at air recovery if necessary.

Unloading it at air recovery is for the intents and purposes of this discussion, processing it.
Is there some rule in our terms of service for pickups that customers do that? I've never seen it. Drivers may ask of it as a courtesy, but it is by no means a 'supposed to'. I deal with pickups in the thousands on bulk vans that are loaded on pallets with forklifts, you think those guys took the time during the day to segregate service? Nonsense. That's our job as UPSers.

oldngray

nowhere special
Unloading it at air recovery is for the intents and purposes of this discussion, processing it.
Is there some rule in our terms of service for pickups that customers do that? I've never seen it. Drivers may ask of it as a courtesy, but it is by no means a 'supposed to'. I deal with pickups in the thousands on bulk vans that are loaded on pallets with forklifts, you think those guys took the time during the day to segregate service? Nonsense. That's our job as UPSers.

Most bulk pickups using a trailer will have a separate package car pick up the air that has been separated for pickup. If a shipper constantly screws up and keeps putting with ground packages I am sure eventually UPS would threaten to stop paying refunds for service failures. My point was that not shippers are created equal and some get special treatment and would get away with it. It is not the driver who sets up those pickups by the way.

By The Book

One thing I would add is in my 30 years I have never heard a customer say (in your terms of service). Prime, your sounding like a supervisor. What you are saying is technically true, but we do request the air to be separated at most if not all p/ups.