MT3 Confirms Hiring Freeze and Cutbacks

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Last week I posted that a source had tipped-me that FedEx was going to start holding part-timers to 30 hours. While he (MT3) didn't mention PT directly, the 30 hour "rule" would seem to go hand in hand with a hiring freeze and other cut-back measures due to soft volumes. Wonder what sacrifices MT3 and the rest are going to make? None...Zero...Business as usual for the Memphis Elite. More hypocrisy.

Myort

The Exprees truck by me recently went to a van. I'm guessing because of lower volume.

It probably could've went to a van for a while. Lots of rentals have been used in Express lately and they are now finally getting new vehicles......vans.

FedEx2000

It probably could've went to a van for a while. Lots of rentals have been used in Express lately and they are now finally getting new vehicles......vans.

How often do you see a bulked out 700 these days? Not nearly as often as you used to. No sense buying a $60/k W700 when a $20/k panel van will get the job done, while using less gas. Some routes still actually need a 700/900, but not all.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How often do you see a bulked out 700 these days? Not nearly as often as you used to. No sense buying a $60/k W700 when a $20/k panel van will get the job done, while using less gas. Some routes still actually need a 700/900, but not all.

I don't see the move to smaller vehicles happening...at least in my district. There are plenty of W700 and W900 routes that are very full. We use Sprinters and rentals for the primarily residential routes and have a few old Econolines that usually get used on FO routes. A more likely scenario is an eventual shift of E2 and SOS over to Ground, largely eliminating the need for larger walk-ins. Once Fred gets the legal issues settled, watch those services go away. Just ask bbsam.