My INTEGRAD Driver Training Experience

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I answered an add for seasonal help. It was mid December. I walked in the door. The center manager said you look pretty normal, does this uniform fit? They introduced me to my helper and said see ya later. 400 stops later I punched out and the legend was born. Training, I don't need no stinking training!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Beni correct me if I am wrong. I saw some inside ups articles on integrad I understand integrad has a lot of simulated training sessions. Driving course and even one where they strap you in a harness and teach you how to survive walking on a slick surface?

You may be referring to an article that was in FORTUNE magazine last year.

In that magazine, it was said that UPS began to re-test some of its experienced drivers, and found over 1/2 lacking in skills required. It also metioned that the newer generations (Pull your pants up & spin your hat around) had a hard time learning via classroom, and needed a hands-on, computer based learning system - and Integrad was born.

There was a section that you had to walk on in regular shoes, then carry a package on. Then you put on special shoes, strapped yourself into a harness, and it was impossible to walk on, very slippery.

In my personal opinion, and being from the NorthEast, it was just like walking on ice, and a little gimmicky, good for a laugh or two. To some I'm sure it made an impression on how to walk correctly on slippery surfaces.

There was another section that DID teach well by doing & seeing, and that section had a truck with pressure sensors all over. Get on & off the truck with & without using handrail, see the difference in force exerted & required. It was a real eye-opener, and a cool learning tool.

With regards to did it have to be as militant / regimented? Again, my opinion, it weeded out who was serious & who was not. I thought it was done exceptionally well.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I just went to Integrad last week, the week of Sept. 8th I found it to be a fun experience, perhaps because I sailed through it. Anyone who is already an inside UPSer should have VERY LITTLE problems in the class, but to those from the outside it is a LOT of information shoved down your throat the first day. The 8 keys to lift/lower, Slips/falls 10 Pt commentary and 5 seeing habits, plus the DIAD. In my class 23 went in and by friday morning for the two finals, there were 15 of us. I aced my two finals and therefore did not see who else didn't make it.

For anyone who is preparing to go I will give you some tips:

1. Memorize WORD FOR WORD the 5 seeing habits
2. Know your 10 point commentary, and be comfortable with it
3. Test out of BOTH of these as soon as you feel comfortable with them.
The sooner you test out of those things, the easier it will be for you to relax and focus on the upcoming tests.
4. When you get the paperwork for the "integration station" memorize the "street names" and numbers
5. Be serious, but also have some fun...if you stay TOO serious you will stress yourself out.
6. If you have any downtime, practice with your DIAD to familiarize yourself with it.
7. Don't order the hamburger at the hotel.....Really, don't do it.

Thats all. :)

Dan

PS - But Benefits Are Great!, did you get your picture of your class yet? I laughed at it but now kind of wantit to show up :)

intergrade4u

Yes, I too failed at intergrad . My co pilot scored a 93 driving on the capital beltway . I did much lower and got my walking papers . I did drive the speed limit which was 55 mph in ideal conditions . My co pilot was driving 45 mph most of the time .
What a farce !!! I was thinking we were gonna get rammed by another vehicle or truck . The facilitator with the wild hardo
really needs help . and to wake up ... At least I kept up with traffic even though I didnt blab a bunch of non sense out every second
while driving . I was too busy trying to to drive defensively
Isnt that being a good driver . Oh and the old guy saying " got it" all the time was really funny.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Gee, my driving test was a loop thru downtown. Then 3 days in Charlotte NC watching videos, and another driving test. Then 30 days, of which 5 were ride alongs. My trainer said damn little except, "Parker, get it and go, get it and go..... ". Then the final ride with the center manager. I forgot to blow the horn at one stop, and the SOB let me get all the way to the door, then called me back, along with the package. Asked me what I had forgotten, and as I couldn't answer him, he made me drive around the block, and redo the stop. The second time, I got it right, and when we finally finished the stop, he told me I had forgotten to blow the horn the first time. I wore the (*&^&^%$#$#@$%&*()_)(*&%$$#! horn out the rest of the day.