My son in IE? The horror!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Over...My strict policy is no car until GPA is 3.00 or above.
Credit (Debit) I agree with.

I agree with fxdwg; in fact, there are a lot of schools which do not even allow freshman to have cars.

I would make sure that, if he doesn't already have one, he has a cell phone through the same provider so that you can keep in touch without paying for long distance or collect phone calls.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
He hasn't chosen MSOE yet. Not much of a campus. He is also looking at Wisconsin, Illinois ,Minnesota and Northestern in Boston. It all depends on the money and whatever scholarships he can get. WI and Minn would be the best bet cost wise. He has a car and a Blackberry. Car will probably stay home. Here's the kicker. He has a twin sister but she is looking at state schools. Oh my aching wallet.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
He hasn't chosen MSOE yet. Not much of a campus. He is also looking at Wisconsin, Illinois ,Minnesota and Northestern in Boston. It all depends on the money and whatever scholarships he can get. WI and Minn would be the best bet cost wise. He has a car and a Blackberry. Car will probably stay home. Here's the kicker. He has a twin sister but she is looking at state schools. Oh my aching wallet.
I guess Im mean, I made mine pay for their own. Actually I didnt make them they just did it. They never asked for my help. They knew what was needed in todays world and went and got it. They got good grades, and now both make over 100k per yr, and their loans are paid off. My wallet couldnt afford it, I gave them lump sums as suprises when I could and they appreciate what they earned, and paid for so they didnt screw off while doing it.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I guess Im mean, I made mine pay for their own. Actually I didnt make them they just did it. They never asked for my help. They knew what was needed in todays world and went and got it. They got good grades, and now both make over 100k per yr, and their loans are paid off. My wallet couldnt afford it, I gave them lump sums as suprises when I could and they appreciate what they earned, and paid for so they didnt screw off while doing it.

Cheers Tooner........I'll bet that you are proud.........

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I guess Im mean, I made mine pay for their own. Actually I didnt make them they just did it. They never asked for my help. They knew what was needed in todays world and went and got it. They got good grades, and now both make over 100k per yr, and their loans are paid off.

Just curious, do they like their jobs?

I'm not really a fan of management in general but I think IE would be a respectable job for your son. The least amount of corruption takes place in that department. It's mostly office work. Just expect your son to work long hours without getting paid overtime. Obviously I think he would be better off staying in the union but everyone makes their own choices. The IE people in my building here in Nassau work about 14 hours a day but don't have to deal with the verbal abuse and threats that the operators do. If they try and move him into operations I would say time for a career change or time to find a lawyer.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think IE, or any staff position at UPS is respectable. Any job here is a good one. Whether you would want the same for your child as you are doing is quite another question.
Hoax, I would say yes they like their jobs most of the time. One manages apt complexes in the NE for a large company, and one is a process writer at a nuclear facility. One requires much time away from home which is the part he doesnt like, but other times he can work from home which he does like.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
MSOE is in downtown Milwaukee, so doesn't have the ivy-drenched campus....OTOH it is 3 blocks from the lakefront, and in the middle of a lot of eclectic fun stuff. It is also smaller, which means he won't get lost in the 500+ student lecture classes freshman and sophomore years. Do NOT discount this as an advantage of a smaller school.
REALLY good engineering school: Purdue. Also Georgia Tech.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
He got accepted to MSOE today. Along with the letter came a $48,000 scholarship at $12,000 a year. Sweet! He's still weighing the other options though.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax, I would say yes they like their jobs most of the time. One manages apt complexes in the NE for a large company, and one is a process writer at a nuclear facility. One requires much time away from home which is the part he doesnt like, but other times he can work from home which he does like.

That's good ... it is much more important to like your job than to make big money.