My Station, A Representative Example This Week?

hypo hanna

I figure that the ones who are first to pick everything apart and complain about it are the ones with the answers and wouldn't have any problem sharing them here.
My guess is they will handle it like they have handled the rest of this peak. Wait until you have the pkgs in your station and scramble to paste together enough personnel, hours and equipment to get it delivered. That has been the overriding theme this year. ZERO PLANNING!

MAKAVELI

I figure that the ones who are first to pick everything apart and complain about it are the ones with the answers and wouldn't have any problem sharing them here.
My guess is they will handle it like they have handled the rest of this peak. Wait until you have the pkgs in your station and scramble to paste together enough personnel, hours and equipment to get it delivered. That has been the overriding theme this year. ZERO PLANNING!

It won't happen because Dano lives in fantasy land.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Hire runners, temp handlers, and use cartage agents, if necessary, to handle the volume

2. Have enough vehicles

3. Have enough PowerPads

4. Communicate with the ramp to get accurate CTV arrival times.

5. Allow 30 minute breaks

6. Start volunteers early to deliver residentials

7. Shuttle freight out to couriers instead of making EVERYONE return to building. That way, most people can be delivering packages.

8. Cut-off pickups early.

9. Have management actually communicate with the ramp and dispatch to have a cohesive, comprehensive plan.

10. Give local management the power to make decisions that make sense, rather than depending on a bunch of cloistered morons in Memphis who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Want More?

Speedy Cerviche

You can't let in building people manage what happens in building. That would be like letting couriers with their specific area knowledge help figure out what should happen in their specific area.

MAKAVELI

1. Hire runners, temp handlers, and use cartage agents, if necessary, to handle the volume

2. Have enough vehicles

3. Have enough PowerPads

7. Shuttle freight out to couriers instead of making EVERYONE return to building. That way, most people can be delivering packages.

9. Have management actually communicate with the ramp and dispatch to have a cohesive, comprehensive plan.

10. Give local management the power to make decisions that make sense, rather than depending on a bunch of cloistered morons in Memphis who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Want More?

You mean what UPS does? No, we can't have that now.

hypo hanna

2. Have enough vehicles

3. Have enough PowerPads

Want More?

so dano, now the he has answered your question, how about you enlighten us at to why mgmt has so miserably failed to plan for this peak? After 35 years, you would think they would a little better at it then this.

Rhoderunner

I might add, let's not be package whores. Who the hell delivered a Hanna Anderson package before this week??? Or any of the other A-holes who never use Express thru out the year. Do we have to take EVERYBODYS package because no one else will do it.:angry:

SmithBarney

2. Have enough vehicles

3. Have enough PowerPads

Want More?

Exactly what we did.. worked like a charm, we even had full size cargo van rentals this year instead of minivans...

mitchel

i worked 8 hours today delivering late christmas packages, it was actually a very nice day to work, (obiviously i dont have kids) but people were beyond happy to get thier presents, i think they forgot that they were actually late. In return, i got a bag of backyard oranges, a cup of milk chocolate..with marshmellows, two brownies and a cupcake. and a 20$ tip..thats ok...right? if not i swear i didnt take it. But working on xmas was actually kinda fun

Goldilocks

i worked 8 hours today delivering late christmas packages, it was actually a very nice day to work, (obiviously i dont have kids) but people were beyond happy to get thier presents, i think they forgot that they were actually late. In return, i got a bag of backyard oranges, a cup of milk chocolate..with marshmellows, two brownies and a cupcake. and a 20$ tip..thats ok...right? if not i swear i didnt take it. But working on xmas was actually kinda fun

We had about 20 drivers working yesterday, all with 20 plus years. In our area they were making 61 dollars per hour. Most with grown children. They enjoyed it too....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had about 20 drivers working yesterday, all with 20 plus years. In our area they were making 61 dollars per hour. Most with grown children. They enjoyed it too....

If asked I would have worked Christmas Day as well. My family got together on the 22nd to celebrate the holiday. Our center had very few undeliverable Christmas packages. Most of these were P.O. boxes with cell phone numbers, which makes it hard to look them up in the phone book if they don't answer their phone.

Day off today to rest before an expected major snowstorm tomorrow.