Need A New TV . Suggestions?

A

anonymous6

our 10 year old Sony 50 inch finally went out. went to Costco and looked at the Vizio, Samsung and LG brand 50 inchers. we kinda like Costco for the no hassles and can get a 5 year warranty for a little more.

vizio is USA made so kinda leaning towards that brand.

suggestions ?

gingerkat

our 10 year old Sony 50 inch finally went out. went to Costco and looked at the Vizio, Samsung and LG brand 50 inchers. we kinda like Costco for the no hassles and can get a 5 year warranty for a little more.

vizio is USA made so kinda leaning towards that brand.

suggestions ?
I bought the 55" Samsung and I love it. Mine is maybe year old, so I'm not quite sure about what this year has to offer. When I bought mine, I did some comparison's on a site (can't remember which one right now) and Samsung was neck and neck with Sony for quality, with the exception of Sony being more expensive. I think most HD TV's nowadays are really good quality, so it's a matter of name etc.

You can still buy the warranty at Costco for any TV purchased there. You can even purchase that same warranty for a TV purchased elsewhere. Happy hunting!

rod

Retired 22 years
I never buy those extra warrantees. They are just the stores way of getting you to spend another 10% over the cost of what you are buying. They aren't a manufactures warrenty---they are a store warrenty. When it comes to electronics- if it works good coming out of the box your chances of it lasting a long time are really good. My problem with tvs nowdays is that you can't just buy a basic tv. Everyone of them have two dozen features on them that the average guy will never use which calls for a remote that has 10 times more buttons on it than necessary.

gingerkat

Very true Rod. These warranties are by other companies. I really wish I didn't have this huge TV, but it really wasn't my idea, so now it just sorta sits here in my living room, with very little usage. Too many functions, too many things... Oh well, I guess I'm just too old for new things - lol

oldngray

nowhere special
I just got a reconditioned 60" Vizio at a very good price and am very satisfied with it. I didn't mess with any extra warranty on it. It does have a super complicated remote with buttons on both sides but its easy to learn what few things you normally use.

A

anonymous6

I never buy those extra warrantees. They are just the stores way of getting you to spend another 10% over the cost of what you are buying. They aren't a manufactures warrenty---they are a store warrenty. When it comes to electronics- if it works good coming out of the box your chances of it lasting a long time are really good. My problem with tvs nowdays is that you can't just buy a basic tv. Everyone of them have two dozen features on them that the average guy will never use which calls for a remote that has 10 times more buttons on it than necessary.

I never buy the warranties either but for 20 bucks a year for 3 extra years, that sounds good for piece of mind. Costco has never given us a hassle in 20 years for returns and we return a lot of stuff.

smart tv sounds good for hulu, you-tube and other apps. and the price is down about 300-400 from 2 years ago. I was just wondering about what brands people have had the best luck with.

I have a house full of Sharp TVs. No problems with them. We get deals, or did , through ups. I think the next ones will be the Samsung Smart screens. They have been well reviewd.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have a wall-mounted Sylvania in the bedroom......6 years and no problem.......I'ts turned on every night and sometimes not turned off 'til morning.
I have a 42" LG in the rec. room. No trouble with it so far.........only 2 years old.
Hubby has a Sanyo in his office.......no troubles.
Insignia in the spare bedroom (wall-mounted) no troubles.
We gotten a couple tvs from Office Depot..........deeply discounted.