Need help with my Grievence

dirtnut67

ok I was trying to make this quick and easy but I need to get more specific.

1. The company has on file a Feeder bid on file that I signed in 1998. This bid went to a higher seniority drive. I agree that is what should have happend.

2. I didn't really ask to stop running feeders in 1996. Ups just stopped asking me to cover Vacations and they were using a higher senority driver to cover vacations. I figured that was fine. It would allow me to work days and spend more time with my children.

3. Maybe I am wrong here but I was under the understanding that I was a qualified Feeder driver and when the time came that I would want to run feeders again I would just ask or bid on a Feeder route. If my senority was high enough I would be granted the bid.

4. This is where it gets grey. There is nothing in the contract that covers this senario.

5. Now this is what I have heard. (Again hearsay) The feeder department is the one that is fighting me on this. Because if I win this grievance all of the drivers that have driven feeders at any time throughout there career will be able to bid any feeder job. So this means that a 30 yr delivery driver that drove Feeder 20 years ago will be able to bid a feeder run and get the bid over say a 29 yr Feeder driver. I hope that I am making sense.

6. I don't believe this is a case of I pissed someone off and they are out for revenge. Allthough I am one of those divers that if I feel my contratual right have been violated I will and have filed grievences. There are some Mngmt people out there that probably don't like me but I don't like some of them much either. enough rambling I think I have answered all the ?'s if not ask me. I have until Sept something when my state pannel is.

over9five

Staff member
Your #3 is how it works here.

And #5. Seniority is all we have. I don't see why it would matter how long you are out of feeders. You still have your cdl, right?

Seniority will rule.

pretender

Dirtnut-

"....but they have several policies that the contract doesn't cover.".

I'm sure you've been around long enough to know/see that sometimes "policies" are spontaneously created to appease the moment and then when the moment passes the policy disappears.

You haven't mentioned what your business agent and/or union steward has said about this.

In another post you mentioned that you lost the bid to a lower seniority person who "...is currently covering feeders". Why weren't you "....currently covering feeders."?

I hope you win your grievence.

These are 2 good points: I could not tell you what our policy is now, because it has changed so much over the years--usually to appease the moment. When you have deliveries involved, you enter a giant gray area...Secondly, the BIG question in my mind is why was a lower seniority driver covering feeders?

Nevertheless, since the policy changes so much, there is no reason not to pursue your grievance. Could you please clarify 2 things--Is this a bid in your center or in feeders--In other words, what seniority list would you be on, should you be awarded the bid? Also, do you still have your CDL?

Last edited:

pretender

The bid is a center bid and yes I have kept my CDL current.
Based on these 2 facts, I would say that it should be an open and shut case in your favor.

About 10 years ago, we had similar job come up for bid in one of the centers in our building. The senior bidding package car driver was awarded the bid--and he had NO feeder experience or CDL. He was trained after the fact. I was in feeders at the time; and we filed a grievance and lost.

amclain

I will try to make this short. I use to be a Feeder vacation coverage driver. I have not driven Feeders since 1996. A center bid for a half Feeder and half Delivery came up in my Center. I bid it and lost the bid to a lower senority driver that is currently covering feeders. I have filled a Grievence and I am now going to the State panel. UPS is taking the stand that I haven't driven feeders within the last 2 years. Therefore I am know long feeder qualified. The contract says nothing about haveing to run feeders every 2 years to stay qualified.

I need help from some of you. Has any of you had a 2 year or longer time spand between driving feeders. I really need name and center and a brief discription of your senario. I would like to go to the state panel with some proof that we don't loose qualifications after a 2 years of inactivity. If you don't feel comfortable posting on this
discussion board you can email me directly.

In the Georgia District there were five PDale package car drivers transfer to Roswell Building with a package route in 1996. But while at Pdale Hub they were also Back-up Feeder Drivers. Two years
[A federal appeals court has upheld a judge’s ruling in favor of United Parcel Service and Teamsters Local 41, both of which were sued by two former employees contending they were illegally fired.

ago Pdale Feeder was short of Feeder Drivers, and Feeder Management were Sub-Contracting and using the lack of Qualified feeder drivers. There was a proposal to utilize the previously feeder qualify drivers who had transferred to Roswell Building in 1996 (note: these two drivers had not driven feeder since 1994 until they were recertified 2004. Pdale Feeder Managment agreed and perform a safety ride with the only two feeder qualified drivers at the Roswell Building and they began covering extra at the Pdale Hub. Also another previously qualified feeder driver was found in the Fayette/Peachtree Center Building, and that package car driver was recertified/safety ride, and begin covering feeder work at Atlanta and Pdale Hubs (note: this employee has not driven feeder since 1995 until 2005 when he was recertified/saftey ride.)
Also the N. Fla Feeder Div Mgr. MIke knows these details that is listed above when he was in the Ga. Feeder District.

There is a problem with being recertified to feeder qualification list as that would appy in your situation. In The above list of description, those recertified feeder qualified drivers never were allowed to bid on any runs in Pdale or Atlanta, and there was no feeder operation at the Roswell/Fayette Buildings.

Thank you all for your help

dirtnut67

amclain

Thank you this is exactly what I am looking for. I want to thank all of you that replied.

I am currently waiting for my panel date. I was told that I am on the Sept schedule at the state panel. I haven't been given a date yet. I will keep all of you informed as to the outcome of my grievence.

Teamster251

PSST Drvr Local 251 PRORI
The bid is a center bid and yes I have kept my CDL current.

Dirt, All feeder langauge, besides pay and Premium Service, are in supplements. And are their any local agreements between BA and management. (many exist, few know about them)

Did the company ever carry you on the Seniority list as TTQ?
On most lists this accornym follows your name or date of hire and means Tractor Trailer Qualified.

Does the company have a feeder training file on you or does your employee file have any of this info?

Is the same feeder ops manger or div manger still there? If so maybe they can shed more light on situation.

Is the junior man you are trying to replace temp or seniority?

If your were, and they removed the TTQ at a certain point there may have been a reason. See if you can find out from old seniority lists. They will and should be on file

What about accidents?

What about local practices moving between seniority lists?

Back when you were working feeders were you a temp or employee?

The langauge in my supplement (New England) isn't very helpful and doesn't cover your situation.

If you BA says go for it.....go for it.

Good Luck T251

tieguy

Banned
This issue is actually pretty cut and dried. Did the company carry you on its seniority list as feeder qualified. If they did and you meet all other local bidding language then you should have been allowed to bid.

If you were not carried on the feeder qualified seniority list then you had no rights to bid. The language on these seniority lists and the length of time you have to challenge their validity is very clear.

tieguy

Banned
Tie,

I want to bid this job, but I haven't done feeders in 10 years.
I come to you, and ask what I have to do.

Would you not say, "Fine, I'll send you out with a sup today and requalify you".?

To me (based on what we know), this would be so EASY!

I KNOW that here, if I'm out of feeders a few years, and want to get back in, they'd help me. I KNOW they'd let me hook-up and drive around the property to get used to shifting again, and I'm SURE they'd jump in and go on the road to help me requalify.

What would you do? (again, based on what we know)

In my world we send a sup out and requalify you. Then add you to the feeder qualified seniority list.

dirtnut67

Results of my State panel

Well you won't beleive this: I lost my grievance. The company said that I did not bring documentation to prove that I was a Feeder coverage driver at any time during my career. I covered feeder Vacations from 1989 to 1998. Ups never denied or disputed my being feeder qualified untill today. The only way that I could have proved I was a feeder diver at one time is with a pay stub. I don't have my paystubs from 8 yrs ago.

ups said that they don't have my name on any feeder list nor have they ever had my name on any feeder qualified list. This is a complete lie. Who holds all of the records of what we do? UPS They claimed that they couldn't find any records that showed me as a feeder driver.

Here is the worst part I had several people including Managment that remember me running feeders and Ups denied to even ask them.

This is a true meaning of getting the shaft.

I will no longer respect any ups managment.

I now work at ups for me and the $

Im done

trickpony1

dirtnut-
just an afterthought........

why would a pkg driver need a class "A" driver's license with a "T" endorsement (for doubles and triples)?

I would have brought that to their attention.

It's good that you got this shafting out in the open. More people that frequent this message board need to know what the company is truly capable of.

NEWS FLASH: the "good ship lollipop" is slowly sinking! The yellow brick road got paved with asphalt and Dorthy and Toto are dead.

over9five

Staff member
Wow. That is a slap in the face. So basicly, they perjured themselves at a panel. Should be illegal. What has happened to ethics at UPS?

Casey is surely rolling in his grave.

Sorry, Dirtnut, I was sure you'd win. But I was not aware that UPS would act in such an unethical manner.

LKLND3380

Read you contract and know your contract. You would be amazed at how much UPS management does not know about the contract... OR if they do know, they do not expect YOU to know what is in the contract.

true_1_ace

unless at one point you refused to drive feeders you are technically a cover feeder driver and can bump anyone with less senority ,once ups trains you for a job they cant remove you for no reason unless it becomes obsoleit

twnjrspc

I will try to make this short. I use to be a Feeder vacation coverage driver. I have not driven Feeders since 1996. A center bid for a half Feeder and half Delivery came up in my Center. I bid it and lost the bid to a lower senority driver that is currently covering feeders. I have filled a Grievence and I am now going to the State panel. UPS is taking the stand that I haven't driven feeders within the last 2 years. Therefore I am know long feeder qualified. The contract says nothing about haveing to run feeders every 2 years to stay qualified.

I need help from some of you. Has any of you had a 2 year or longer time spand between driving feeders. I really need name and center and a brief discription of your senario. I would like to go to the state panel with some proof that we don't loose qualifications after a 2 years of inactivity. If you don't feel comfortable posting on this discussion board you can email me directly.

Thank you all for your help

dirtnut67,

In our building we have a seperate senority list for feeders, that includes cover drivers. I'm not at all familiar with yours, or the agreement your local has with the company regarding this, which could infringe upon your senority. However, senority should prevail. Provided you still have a current CDL, the company certification is nothing more than a ride along with a supervisor, which is standard company proceedure. I'm sure that if they needed you in a pinch, and it would work to their favor, they would use you. UPS has no national standards for many facets of it's operations. Hell, proceedures change from one building to the next. Lack of national proceedures allows the company to exercise favortism, and discipline. It's time for change!

VOTE Tom L SLATE!