New dispatcher problems

We recently got a new dispatcher at my center, and he seems to be doing an UNBELIEVABLY terrible job. For example, I have about a 1-square-mile (urban/suburban) delivery area normally, and on Friday, he split NINE stops onto my route from another neighborhood 7 miles away! And he split another 13 stops from that neighborhood onto the driver whose delivery area is right next to mine, and another TWO stops onto that driver from a fourth neighborhood miles away from all other areas in question!

TWO :censored2:ING STOPS!

We would be better off if we just froze the routes as they were the day the last dispatcher retired, and didn't let our new dispatcher touch anything. It's sad when someone who literally never showed up to work would do a better job than the person we have now.

When I ask if we're doing anything to try to improve the problem, the only thing anyone can say is, "It's a learning process." But to me, "it's a learning process" sounds a lot like "let's just wait and hope the problem fixes itself". I haven't seen any indication that our new dispatcher has learned anything, or has been trying to learn anything, or that anyone has tried to help him learn anything. I can't be sure because I'm not in the office when dispatch is happening, but it's really starting to seem like "it's a learning process" is just code for ":censored2: it. We're just going to sit back and let this guy do a terrible job for the time being."

Have you guys ever experienced problems transitioning between dispatchers? How long does it take for the new dispatcher to figure out what he's doing? And, if the previous dispatcher announces his retirement in advance, is it normal for the new dispatcher to be completely untrained and unprepared on day 1?

Ouch

Hummmmm let's see. Paid by the hour, and more miles. Makes sence to me lol lol lol. Good luck but sounds like you got the generic go to answer.

He's new now isn't the time to worry. It's in two years when he's still doing the same stuff like ours is.

5 years and still waiting

That's what I'm afraid of. You're right that it's still early, but I'm worried that we're headed down the road where we'll spend years dealing with this :censored2:, and I don't know how long I can handle it. I guess it's possible that he really will improve, but I hate hearing "it's a learning process" because it's such a meaningless answer and inspires no confidence that he's actually learning anything.

jaker

trolling
You got to love ups , they put a person in charge of dispatch who knows nothing about a area or even how to deliver a area

With that logic I should be able to run a center with out ever going into management

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I dont even question it anymore. When they send question on diad what is your eta, i put in the town where i started to France,Africa,Russia or wherever lol. The women in the office know what im saying and just crack up lol. They know how idiotic the dispatches are.

brostalss

Usually you get better results when talking to one of the local support beams or the nearest water fountain. They are management, they know what they're doing. You're a Driver and no NOTHING!

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
On Mondays our dispatcher likes to take 20 stops off me and give them to my neighbor then take 20 stops off my neighbor and give them to me.

Z

ZQXC

Reply to the OP: Sometimes they will send me on a 15 mile round trip to catch 3 stops. Two of those stops are pickup accounts for another driver. Question nothing; cash the check.

I'm not sure I understand the SPC idea. Shouldn't stops per car be higher if we all delivered to a reasonably tight area?

On the day when he tried to send two of us 7 miles away in a neighborhood neither of us knew, I spent 15 minutes swapping stops with the other driver, then another 20-30 minutes driving between all these neighborhoods, and I don't know how long looking at maps and wandering around trying to find the one odd-numbered apartment complex that was inexplicably on the west (even-numbered) side of the road. It was a snow day, too, and I wound up rolling in at 8 pm after completing the same number of stops I'd done the day before and gotten in at 5:30.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This is UPS, so expect this person to remain in this position for quite some while. But don't worry my friend, ORION will solve all!

Indecisi0n

This is UPS, so expect this person to remain in this position for quite some while. But don't worry my friend, ORION will solve all!

Sad part is this is true. Even though he cannot do his job he will remain in that position for years. All you can do is keep records to protect you when you get pulled in the office for their numbers. With good records its like shooting fish in a barrel. They don't even call me in anymore because they are tired of me making them look like idiots in front of my rep.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Stop thinking about thier problems and do your job. Worrying about this kind of stuff is what makes guys cut corners and get themselves into trouble in order to make up for incompetence. Just deliver where it says and be done with it, you get paid by the hour, not by the stop.

upschuck

No one wants to be the dispatch guy, so they either put the person that the DM doesn't like in the job, or they put the lowest guys in there. We've had 3 or 4 people that that was their last job at UPS, either retiring or quit.