New Driver Gets Fired For Positive Drug Sample!

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Stratocaster, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Stratocaster

Stratocaster Member

A new driver in my center got fired this morning for testing positive on his DOT physical he took about a month ago. Last week he got into a little argument with his supervisor and today he was fired. Sounds a little bit fishy to me. 1 whole month to figure out he tested positive for marijuana???? Has anyone heard of a similar case?

2. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

If the person was in their probation period, it does not matter.

Sucks to be him/her.

3. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Maybe it took a month for your sample to be retested?

4. Just Lurking

Just Lurking Member

Quick question - When did UPS start drug screening for DOT physical?

Quick answer. They don't.

Another question? Are you concerned about taking a piss test for a DOT physical?

Another answer. Really don't bother. If you are already a driver you should know who, when and why you can be drug tested. If you or your friend has already been terminated for drug test failure you would know the who, when and why.

5. barnyard

Actually, they do.

DOT requires a certain number of random drug tests be done every year. I went in for 1 on Tuesday.

6. Stratocaster

Stratocaster Member

I know that the DOT physical doesn't require a drug test. Thats only for CDL motorists. I was implying that the sup he got into the argument with last week, had his urine from the DOT physical, tested for drugs.

7. barnyard

If the company suspects drug use, it is within their right to test. If the driver has seniority, they have to be offered treatment before firing. If the driver is on probation, tough darts.

8. Stratocaster

Stratocaster Member

This wasn't random. The only urine sample he ever gave to the company, was for the DOT physical he took last month. Which is why im confused to how he came back positive for a test that doesn't test for drugs...

9. barnyard

It is possible that you do not know the entire story.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Stratocaster

Stratocaster Member

That could be possible.

11. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

UPS has nothing to do with your DOT physical. You go you pee in a cup and the dip a stick in it in front of you to test your sugar level then they through it away. There is no secret test. If they are testing for drugs you know it you have to sign a form and they would put your sample in a sealed container and make you Initial a seal they put on the container.

That isn't possible read above. They don't secret test for drugs that is against the law you know when they are testing you for drugs you have to sign forms. They do however do unannounced random testing for people with a CDL or for people that have tested positive in the passed and have gone to rehab these people know that they can be tested at any time as they signed a paper to that effect.

We had a drive get canned 2 years ago for that...

If your getting a drug tested they take the sample and then in front of you seal the container put a seal on the container that you initial then they send it out to a lab to be tested.

If the driver got fired for a failed drug test it wasn't from his DOT physical it was from a unannounced test either because they have a CDL or because they have tested positive before...

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  12. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

Your confused because you don't know all the facts your spreading rumors.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. barnyard

Correct. The nurse made a pretty big deal of me initialing the container.

14. Justaname

Justaname Member

Tell your friend getting high isn't worth a career. Stick to beer it's tasty and legal.

15. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Can drug test for a fitness for duty evalauation.

16. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Amazing how people will go through all the trouble to obtain illegal substances and if only they took the same motivation and applied it actually doing something productive and legal, imagine the possibilities.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  17. BrownArmy

BrownArmy Well-Known Member

Oh, the irony.

18. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

This is not true. I just went through the most stringent one, I think they have ever given, and no pee left my body in the name of UPS.

19. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Many years ago I discovered the secret to never getting caught with marijuana in my system.

20. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Uhmmmm, don't smoke it?