New feeder driver

I GOT ONE MORE

I'm at that point where I have the opportunity for feeder.
I've had much trepidation about the hours, vehicle size, vacation selection, etc.....but I'm past all that. Hands down, this will be far better than package, IMO.

The last concern that hovers, is getting lost.......due to road construction, detours, accidents, or just a bad decision. Dragging a 53' box or a set into an unknown metropolitan area (So Cal) gives me pause.

Now, I'm aware many before, have overcome. And so will I.
And, Garmin makes a trucker GPS.
Nevertheless, the fear is present.....for now.

I guess I'm looking for stories on what happened to you and how it turned out.
And how long it took for this fear to settle down.

Thanks.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
They will have a map for almost every place you are going to. You won't be the first guy to go somewhere.
You can look at the satellite view on google maps to see where the docks are and plan it out.

jaker

trolling
I've had much trepidation about the hours, vehicle size, vacation selection, etc.....but I'm past all that. Hands down, this will be far better than package, IMO.

The last concern that hovers, is getting lost.......due to road construction, detours, accidents, or just a bad decision. Dragging a 53' box or a set into an unknown metropolitan area (So Cal) gives me pause.

Thanks.
Where are you in socal , I am waiting also

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Thanks.
I enjoy going into the loves truck stops and looking at all of the trucker gear like the jumbo 2 liter mugs and the wooden canes with skull for a handle...but seriously I have enjoyed it and learning something new has been rewarding. Most of the building I have been to have been right off of major roads and hwys, and you will most likely be going there at night so if you swing a little wide more than likely you won't take out a car

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Something else is Once you get a taste of feeder you will hate going back to pkg... Even more than you do now. There will be many times where you won't see your on road feeder sup for weeks...you will be dealing with dispatch. It's not like in pkg where the clowns are constantly in your face about absolutely ridiculous things.

rod

Retired 22 years
A friend zigged when he should have zagged and ended up on a dead end street when he was running feeders one night. All he said was that it made for an interesting trip. A local friendly cop helped him get out.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i learned the hard way going down a dead end with a set of doubles. had to break up the set to get out. so i learned to be more careful looking at all signs when lost etc. even will get out and ask someone or call before committing. it only happened a couple times getting lost going to a new hub or being detoured.

it's frustrating but remember you are getting paid by the hour. it may happen to most feeder drivers but usually only a couple times , if that.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Thanks.
It's not that big of a deal. You don't need a GPS, just trust your fellow drivers to help you with directions. It's going to be very rare to be put into situations where you may get stuck. Even if you do get lost you will always find a way out of it. If you have to detour call a fellow driver and ask him, he will guide you. If there is an accident ya just sit in traffic turn on the radio and relax. It took a few months for the fear to settle, and it took about a year and half before I was pretty comfortable. Now it's second nature and I don't even think about it. Just stay away from everyone else, don't ride in clusters and you will do just fine.

P

pickup

If you're in SoCal, fear not. A long time member of the Browncafe , TOS , is also a feeder driver there and will definitely give you all the answers you never even knew you needed to questions you never even knew you had.

The only fear that TOS ever had in regards to Feeders is if his "b" driver in sleepers would be able to keep up with his own ever escalating perfection.

Sadly that fear was realized as his "B" driver was afraid to drive from Louisville, KY to New Jersey.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
20150154b74efd4156f.png

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
It's not that big of a deal. You don't need a GPS, just trust your fellow drivers to help you with directions. It's going to be very rare to be put into situations where you may get stuck. Even if you do get lost you will always find a way out of it. If you have to detour call a fellow driver and ask him, he will guide you. If there is an accident ya just sit in traffic turn on the radio and relax. It took a few months for the fear to settle, and it took about a year and half before I was pretty comfortable. Now it's second nature and I don't even think about it. Just stay away from everyone else, don't ride in clusters and you will do just fine.
@greengrenades ---- good advice