New into feeders, on call with a question?

rootbeerman

Its been about six years since I've posted a question here. Do any new feeder drivers work hub sorts while on call or do you sit at home waiting on work?

PT Car Washer

Actually I have seen Feeder drivers work the sort after losing their license for drunk driving. One did rewraps but the other, a young guy, loaded and unloaded.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
That would defeat the purpose of having an 'on call' feeder driver in many cases. The daily hours of service clock would start running.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Don't have that problem in Boston,but I would work any job they offered till I was called back !!
You need to pay the bills and keep hours up for pension and health and welfare ,and more importantly to feed the family !!

raceanoncr

Did that several times years ago just to stay outta package car. Back then, here, I said, HERE, feeders trumped everything. I figgered if I was in building, close, doing SOMETHING, if ANYTHING feeders came up, I was there.

Yes, your on-duty hours do count, so watch it.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You CAN work the sort, or delivery, or whatever you choose. Let's say you were a delivery driver who went into feeders. If you call dispatch in the morning and they don't guarantee you feeder work for the day you could bump into delivery. So theoretically, you could do the same for the sort, BUT if you want to work feeders all the time, it's best to stay available for feeders.

MoarTape

Your either in a truck, a shifter, or at your home. No sorts.

Not the case everywhere. Here, we call in around 3PM to see if we have guaranteed work. If they can't guarantee the work, we can go into the building and work the twilight and midnight sorts to get our eight hours.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Its been about six years since I've posted a question here. Do any new feeder drivers work hub sorts while on call or do you sit at home waiting on work?
I started in feeders back in April. I am usually on the 6 to 12 call block, and they never send you into the hub. I have 21 guys under me and they have never been sent them back into the hub either. Just wait until 2 hours before your start time answer the phone when they call and go to work, it's that easy. The lower down you are the later you will probably be called. I haven't seen them send drivers to do other work for about 4 years now.

UPS4Life

Back when I started in feeders 3 years ago I got sent back in the hub for awhile after peak season only for a couple days during the week. It had it's perks as a driver I was only making 17.25 and since I had my 30 days in when I went inside I was making red circle which was like 29$ an hour so I didn't care one bit. Don't know if this is everywhere but being a full timer they has to offer you work everyday so if there wasn't feeder work to do you would generally work twi/night or night/preload depending on how many people weren't going driving

Sent using BrownCafe App

Nockahate9

Instead of starting a new thread, figured this would be the best place to ask. I've completed my productive training and passed my CDL exam and got my license. Now, I'm #16 on the call list and am still PT until I get the call. When I signed the feeder bid sheet, I also signed the TCD list mainly because I would do anything to get off the sort, but took the feeder bid. The question I wanted to ask is if it was possible for me to request to train for TCD since it will be a while before getting called for feeders. Keep in mind that I already drive Saturday Air and would have won the TCD bid as well considering people with less seniority than me have started training and that bid sheets are still being posted. I just would rather be driving, working more hours and getting paid more, than working the sort while waiting.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Instead of starting a new thread, figured this would be the best place to ask. I've completed my productive training and passed my CDL exam and got my license. Now, I'm #16 on the call list and am still PT until I get the call. When I signed the feeder bid sheet, I also signed the TCD list mainly because I would do anything to get off the sort, but took the feeder bid. The question I wanted to ask is if it was possible for me to request to train for TCD since it will be a while before getting called for feeders. Keep in mind that I already drive Saturday Air and would have won the TCD bid as well considering people with less seniority than me have started training and that bid sheets are still being posted. I just would rather be driving, working more hours and getting paid more, than working the sort while waiting.

From what I believe (and I have been wrong a time or two), if you were PT and then you won a feeder bid, when feeders has no need for you, you would report to your PT job.

Now, since you are going from PT to FT, you might have a 30 day period where they would be able to DQ you if you suck. If that isn't the case, then you should be able to displace 2 part time workers to get your 8 hours, since feeder positions are FT.

Check with your shop steward to be sure, though

Nockahate9

They said if we're not guaranteed any work we could opt out of work, work the sort, or go to package. If your not qualified for package, then I don't see how that's possible. I just figured since I'm feeder qualified that they will make a big fuss for me trying to get my 30 days in while I got the chance. I've worked the sort for 8 years and trying to find a way to never return.