New sick days policy?

screamin chicken

sounds just like my center, screw them thats why we have 5 sick days, you do not have to be ill, you could just be sick of them....... thats what I also ways tell them. Best thing to do is get all the phone numbers you can find, ours are posted on the stairway to upstairs, these are the LAbor law, Corp. numbers keep them handy and use them.....

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
sounds just like my center, screw them thats why we have 5 sick days, you do not have to be ill, you could just be sick of them....... thats what I also ways tell them. Best thing to do is get all the phone numbers you can find, ours are posted on the stairway to upstairs, these are the LAbor law, Corp. numbers keep them handy and use them.....

Stick to the contract.

In the US you are considered an "At Will" employee. Unless it's a violation of law or a specific employment contract you can be terminated at any time without cause. You have some protection under FMLA, but you have to follow the guidelines. I am not aware of any other state or federal law that allows unlimited use of sick days, even if you really are sick. Disability is insurance to protect against lost wages, but doesn't necessarily give one the legal right to be absent without discipline.

A. At-Will Defined
At-will means that an employer can terminate an employee at any time for any reason, except an illegal one, or for no reason without incurring legal liability. Likewise, an employee is free to leave a job at any time for any or no reason with no adverse legal consequences.
At-will also means that an employer can change the terms of the employment relationship with no notice and no consequences. For example, an employer can alter wages, terminate benefits, or reduce paid time off. In its unadulterated form, the U.S. at-will rule leaves employees vulnerable to arbitrary and sudden dismissal, a limited or on-call work schedule depending on the employer’s needs, and unannounced cuts in pay and benefits.

hypocrisy

Banned
Bargaining unit employees, such as most of us here at UPS, are not considered "at will" employees.

UPS likes to start these draconian policies from time to time instead of actually managing their employees and addressing the problem. Sure, there are always a few employees who just don't want to come to work. Most absences are for legitimate sickness related reasons: either for themselves or a family member. When there is a rash of absences, absent some epidemic, it's more likely a response to abuse or harassment at work. So instead of removing that bad manager or supervisor (or reducing the workload during high-heat times as we are experiencing now and every document you can find including UPS ones say to reduce your activity during midday hours), UPS decides to issue discipline.

When this happens I encourage employees to get on FMLA if they , or a family member, have a legitimate issue and almost everyone does. FMLA will protect your job even better than the Union can and as a bonus it will wreak havoc with managements planning. Management hates FMLA, but they only bring it on themselves.

UPS would be better served by ending these draconian discipline policies and teaching and encouraging their managers and supervisors to actually build a rapport with their employees the way they used to. When you have a management team you enjoy working for, know that they actually care about what is going on in your lives ,and will not add to those problems in life that crop up from time to time; you are much more likely to come to work every day and be more productive.

Of course, doing the above would solve a lot of the problems we have at UPS.

mech1

No paid sick days here. Ours were combined into an "option" week of vacation years ago. We still follow the 3/6/9 rule here and even then you have to abuse absences to get attention.
Not here we get 6 sick days per contract year and 5 optional days per contract year

Johney

Hello!Thanks for posting!In connection,it isn't precisely a secret that fewer people are earning a great living nowadays, as wages have been trending downward for simply the past decade. It's bad news for not only the wallet, but for health as well, as a variety of low wage health effects are being noted in studies.
Huh? Spam?

Last edited by a moderator: