New Social Security bill

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Had an argument with a man years ago who was angry that anyone, disabled included, who were getting anything from SS but not retired. Said SS was created for and was only supposed to be for retirees. Not so. Look into it. Obama abused the program. There are people gaming the system. But SSI is a legit program for people who with a little extra are managing to survive. If a person is 35, legally blind, can't get a job, and his SS disability is $650 a month, what do we do? Tell them to go die? They aren't getting rich. Not even getting more than a few hundred dollars extra with SSI. But with that, Section 8 housing, food stamps, they can get by. We should be focused on getting the abusers and fraudsters out of the program, but we can be a decent society by taking care of those in true need.
“It was Title II that was the new social insurance program we now think of as Social Security. In the original Act benefits were to be paid only to the primary worker when he/she retired at age 65. Benefits were to be based on payroll tax contributions that the worker made during his/her working life.” Social Security History.

rickyb

That very high percentage rate only kicked in at very high income amounts. Adjusted for inflation a person could earn millions a year before the highest bracket would kick in and take what was it, 90%, above that amount.
great! lets bring it back!

vantexan

“It was Title II that was the new social insurance program we now think of as Social Security. In the original Act benefits were to be paid only to the primary worker when he/she retired at age 65. Benefits were to be based on payroll tax contributions that the worker made during his/her working life.” Social Security History.
Way back when. By the time I had that argument with that fellow SS Disability and SSI were long ago established programs. And when SS was originally established it was nowhere near the program it is now. And I mean that in the best way.

Box Ox

"Polls always show that many people, especially young people, don’t expect to see their Social Security benefits. I have been writing on this stuff long enough that many of the same young people who told me 30 years ago that they would never see their benefits, are now collecting Social Security."

Public debt U.S. 2023 | Statista

tpds.png

rickyb

"Polls always show that many people, especially young people, don’t expect to see their Social Security benefits. I have been writing on this stuff long enough that many of the same young people who told me 30 years ago that they would never see their benefits, are now collecting Social Security."

Public debt U.S. 2023 | Statista

View attachment 483415
turn this graph upside down and you will get taxes on the rich.

defense spending went from 500 b in 1980 to 850 now adjust for inflation.