New Video! Attention all Lunch Skippers! 2024 Edition!

Brownwind

Don’t tell me a stud like you skipped lunch. I was told earlier this formula
Figure out what you make an hour then times it by what time you give. Definitely not worth it even for charity work.

I think the only time I ever skipped lunch was in 2007 when I couldn’t get the day off and I wanted to be home for a friends wedding. Looking back I should have just gone. (Those sups are long gone and I don’t remember their names. Thin guy who spelt funny and the kid who drank a lot.)

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Don’t tell me a stud like you skipped lunch. I was told earlier this formula
Figure out what you make an hour then times it by what time you give. Definitely not worth it even for charity work.

I think the only time I ever skipped lunch was in 2007 when I couldn’t get the day off and I wanted to be home for a friends wedding. Looking back I should have just gone. (Those sups are long gone and I don’t remember their names. Thin guy who spelt funny and the kid who drank a lot.)
When I was a casual I ran and worked thru my lunch. I was desperate for a job like UPS. Once I made the list and was schooled by senior drivers and my own uncle, a retired Teamster, who told me to never embarrass a driver whose route I covered, I knew better. My uncle would have kicked my ass! He had friends in my local that watched out for me.

Brownwind

When I was a casual I ran and worked thru my lunch. I was desperate for a job like UPS. Once I made the list and was schooled by senior drivers and my own uncle, a retired Teamster, who told me to never embarrass a driver whose route I covered, I knew better. My uncle would have kicked my ass! He had friends in my local that watched out for me.
I got trained from the senior guys myself. Always followed the rules and benefited from being a little slower but always putting the customer first. Seriously why would anyone with any common sense bid a route in town just to run all day long. I always had routes in the countryside.
Made bank in tips for following this advice.

UnionStrong

I got trained from the senior guys myself. Always followed the rules and benefited from being a little slower but always putting the customer first. Seriously why would anyone with any common sense bid a route in town just to run all day long. I always had routes in the countryside.
Made bank in tips for following this advice.
Dude, I went out of my way for commercial accounts, tip or no tip. I also made sure UPS wasn’t getting screwed, I caught a few unscrupulous shippers. That’s the way I was wired, most didn’t care.

UnionStrong

I still do that.
Thanks
IMG_5491.gif

textat3

I take my lunch but if I did not it would not be docked off my time card
I don’t believe that is the case anywhere.…for legal reasons. You are required by federal law to take a break after so many hours. The company was sued about 10 years ago for this in California. You also have been instructed to take a lunch. You have to input the time into your diad.

542thruNthru

That's a positive step for both parties.

It cuts down on an excessive expense for the Local Unions (paying for grievance forms) and time spent

on scheduling hearings for issues that the company won't drop anyway.

UPS used to send those warning letters to your house, as a form of intimidation....
We still get ours certified mail.

Thebrownblob

That's a positive step for both parties.

It cuts down on an excessive expense for the Local Unions (paying for grievance forms) and time spent

on scheduling hearings for issues that the company won't drop anyway.

UPS used to send those warning letters to your house, as a form of intimidation....
Yep, wish we had automatic protest here.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
We still get ours certified mail.

Refuse it. Return to sender. Or just don’t answer the door for the mailman. Let ‘em send it back.

Years ago we got ours certified mail. One time no one was home when USPS tried to deliver it to me and I never went to pick it up. Don’t remember hearing anything else about it.

542thruNthru

Refuse it. Return to sender. Or just don’t answer the door for the mailman. Let ‘em send it back.

Years ago we got ours certified mail. One time no one was home when USPS tried to deliver it to me and I never went to pick it up. Don’t remember hearing anything else about it.
Refuse it or not, doesn't really mean anything.

hyena

Question: if I’m taking my lunch, clocked out, and get shot/ assaulted, will I be covered for workman’s comp?

Some guys hate lunch because they want to get home earlier but some hate it because they are not getting paid. Is there not even the possibility of this being open for debate in future contract/supplemental discussions?
Yes. You’re still at work.