New York Legalizes Same Sex Marriage

browndevil

Marriage is between a man & a woman with procreation as the goal.
Civil Union is OK, just call it something else....Fusion, Melding, Linking, Coupling, etc
Try asking the 20-30 year olds what they think about same sex marriage. They overwhelmingly support marriage equality. Your idea is outdated and the tide is changing.
The sun will rise as it always does
Congrats NY

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Yes, as a matter of fact I would have, but that really isn't the question IMO. To me the question is why will same gender couples NOT accept a civil union? What we have been hearing for years is they wanted the same legal rights of married couples, such as tax exemptions, sharing of privacy rights (as in hospital and health information sharing) and many other issues like those. A civil union would provide all that. "Marriage", whether we like it or not, is religion based and very few religions support same gender unions and say that a marriage is the union of a man and a woman. How and why government got involved with marriage in the first place, I'm not sure. One other point that I have heard from gay rights groups is they want to be considered the same as "traditional" couples. Well, I'm sorry but they are not the same and never will be, this is a matter of fact determined by nature. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are less deserving of a loving relationship, just pointing out that it is not the same and there is no law that can be passed that will change that fact. Civil unions will indeed give them the equality that they claim to seek.

We are the same Trip, the only difference is the "fitting" of the parts. Everything else is identical. Love is love man, how come you can love your dog, your job, your favorite meal, love your car but you cant love another human being of the same sex?

Its time to get over the whole gay thing, its been around since Jeebus alledgedly walked the earth.

You dont have to worry Trip, there isnt a "Conversion" conspiracy running around that will capture you at some point and turn you around.

We are what we are when it comes to sexual identity. Look at Karl Rove, a staunch republican operative, a man who comes on FOXED SPEWS and preaches about moral values, and himself, a secret homosexual man.

We need to shed the hypocrisies of sexuality in this country.

Peace.

browndevil

Regardless of opinions on the issue, this will be an economic boom to the state as, unlike other states with similar legislation, there is no residency requirement in the New York law. One of the major sticking points was protecting those clergy members who oppose same sex marriages by not forcing them to convene over them.
Congrats to all the long term and yet to meet same sex couples. You are now equal and not seperate.
Happy Pride Weekend New York

menotyou

bella amicizia
I can't see where heterosexuals have done ANYTHING to prove we have an exclusive right to anything. Would you allow white gays to marry and not black or hispanic? Discrimination is discrimination. Period. What does anyone care what anyone else does in the boudoir as long as no children or animals or abuse is involved? It astounds me how many republicans stand in front of the camera(Karl) and preach how reprehensible it is, yet pleasures his own self in that fashion. How many have cheated on their wives, or had their mistresses have an abortion? Don't quote one biblical verse and ignore the rest.

And, leave Klein's avatar alone. That's for me, not you guys!!!

island1fox

Gay is gay and straight is staight.
Marriage is marriage and gayrariage is gayrariage .
With all legal rights to all.

Now everyone should be happy !!:wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Nobody really cares what anyone does behind closed doors, just call it something besides marriage! You can have all the rights.....just get a different name. Why are the gays so insistant on calling it marriage......you'd think they be happy having all the rights. I think they just want to flaunt it in people's faces myself.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Now, do they realize they would be obligated to follow divorce laws too?? Community property state? One of them can't just walk away. It's like be careful what you wish for, you might get it. Definitely a 'boom' for divorce attorneys because they don't make enough already!!

tourists24

I dont see the problem with this anyways, homosexuality is no longer something to freak out over, its just the way it is for some people just like those in the south who date their sisters.

Peace.
Careful there TOS.... If all is fair in marriage, this frowned upon population of society should be allowed to marry also without being degraded

menotyou

bella amicizia
Don't you think there are enough people procreating for them? Just watch Maury with the guys that have 17 kids and don't pay for them or visit them. Procreation was needed when there were two people on Earth. Not 5-6 billion in one country. If you want to be the taxpayer funding their lazy butts, be my guest.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Careful there TOS.... If all is fair in marriage, this frowned upon population of society should be allowed to marry also without being degraded

Gay's can't produce children who have a 15-20 % chance of having mental issues, at the minimum.
As a matter of fact, they adopt a lot of the unwanted kids that your neighbor's kid is pumping out.

Your sister may be hot, but, don't do it.

klein

Für Meno :)
Don't you think there are enough people procreating for them? Just watch Maury with the guys that have 17 kids and don't pay for them or visit them. Procreation was needed when there were two people on Earth. Not 5-6 billion in one country. If you want to be the taxpayer funding their lazy butts, be my guest.

That's exactly why I don't understand the republican or tea party. They are totally against abortion by all means, yet want to save on welfare, but rather pay $1000 a month or more for Section A and welfare, food stamps, for single moms with child(ren) for the next 18 years, then a 1 time lumpsum of $1000 to give her the right to decide if she can financially, morally, mentally, and phsycologically be able to afford the "mistake" she made or not.

As in the maury show, 11 and 12 yr olds having babies, yup, keep having fun paying for those kids (kids as in mother and baby) !

tourists24

Gay's can't produce children who have a 15-20 % chance of having mental issues, at the minimum.
As a matter of fact, they adopt a lot of the unwanted kids that your neighbor's kid is pumping out.

Not talking about having kids, strictly marriage. Brother and sister can have kids without being married. Should they not be allowed to marry just like anyone else if they want to? Why discriminate against anyone if you want equality?

I never said I wanted to marry my sister, but I do live in the south so the odds are apparently against me. Plus I am already married so I cant marry my sister. OH WAIT, why shouldnt that be allowed also? Why discriminate against more than one spouse. Im sure people can love more than one person too.... Oh the discrimination

klein

Für Meno :)
I suppose if you are a true Adam and Eve believer, I guess that's how it all started.. all in the family ;) LMAO

browndevil

Good point I never thought of it that way. More says marriage is for procreation. So loving gay couples adopt their unwanted offspring!

tourists24

Good point I never thought of it that way. More says marriage is for procreation. So loving gay couples adopt their unwanted offspring!
I thought we were talking about marriage, not having kids or adopting them. If it is true equality then anyone should be allowed to marry anyone they choose to for any reason right?

wkmac

The real solution to the entire matter is to return the act and concept of marriage back to what it was before the late 19th century. Understanding what marriage is in our world today as opposed to it's history and why it holds such an important place in public policy now is IMO what is really lacking in the entire debate. Understanding what marriage is from a historical POV, what it's now used for in the realm of public policy and how one group of persons benefit while other groups do not is the first step in understanding some possible solutions.

Complete transparency on all fronts is the first real step towards the obvious solution of returning to an old practice where the state held no position one way or the other. And as it should be!

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's not just the Catholic church.........your own queen's church has a position too..

Church of England position.
The Church of England combines strong opposition to abortion with a recognition that there can be - strictly limited - conditions under which it may be morally preferable to any available alternative.
General Synod

wkmac

More is partly correct in that assertion but maybe not for the reasons she thinks. Historically marriage was about procreation in regards to the rights of heirs but it was also about maintaining the rights and control of property within a family linage. Marriage in it's legal sense we see today with property rights, etc. was a by-product of the aristocratic classes and was about protecting heirarchy as well as maintaining power too a certain family progeny as well as protecting the purity of bloodlines.

The exchanging of rings in the wedding rite goes back to ancient Rome if not further and came into western christian tradition via 1st century BCE forward by Talmudic traditions of Judaism and christianity's obvious Roman influences. My guess is Judaism was influenced by it's own Roman occupation as well. The ring was a betrothal act (not a marriage rite act) which marked the conclusion of a marriage negotiation between 2 families in marking the agreed to marriage contract. The ring was worn by the bride only and not til the 20th century did men wearing wedding rings become common practice. My guess is, smart jewelers marketed the men's wedding ring idea and the rest is history as they say.

Cha Ching!
:happy-very: