Newest driving method:::: Be Aggressive

tourists24

The newest flavor in our center has been a methods and safety push..... All the usual stuff is still there (seeing habits, keys to prevents slips and falls... etc). Everything is now posted on a HUGE bulletin board that has to be 30 feet long and 8 feet high.

A new one has just been brought to my attention. We are now being instructed to "drive aggressively". Just wondering if this is being stressed where you are.... For over 20 years I have been told to drive defensively; just wondering why the change with so much safety ramble. The two seem to be polar opposites.... I have mentioned this to my on car and center manager only to be told they can both be done.... hmmmm

From Miriam Webster: aggressive- a disposition to dominate often in disregard of others' rights or in determined and energetic pursuit of one's ends.... Also: tending toward or exhibiting aggression..... and .... marked by combatitive readiness

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Aggressive driving

In New York state aggressive driving is defined as "operating a motor vehicle in a selfish, bold or pushy manner, without regard for the rights and safety of other users of the streets and highways.".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I was first hired and being trained my center manager at the time told me that I needed to be "safely aggressive". He laughed at my puzzled look but I have come to figure out what he meant.

I have also come to realize that time cannot be made up behind the wheel.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have always heard "Drive safe, but aggressively". Thats an oxymoron, right? We are expected to be perfect by people who aren't.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There is nothing safe about aggressive driving. I haven't heard this particular line of BS, but if someone told me to drive more aggressively I guess I would ask them to define exactly what that means. Maybe give me a helpful acronym to memorize.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
5 keys to Agreesive Driving

Keep no space cushion between you and vehicle in front of you.

Roll half way into intersection waiting for light to turn green.

Exceed all speed limits.

Roll thru stop signs. No cop, no stop.

Communicate in traffic with middle finger.

ikoi62

In New York state aggressive driving is defined as "operating a motor vehicle in a selfish, bold or pushy manner, without regard for the rights and safety of other users of the streets and highways.".

Isn't that how most New Yorkers drive anyhow?except when the come to Jersey..lol:happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Isn't that how most New Yorkers drive anyhow?except when the come to Jersey..lol:happy2:

I am a seasoned driver yet I still avoid the NJ Turnpike. Bumper to bumper at 75mph. You guys are idiots.

BTW, that funny little handle on the left hand side of the steering wheel is the blinker. Push up to put the right blinker on, pull down for the left.

bluehdmc

I am a seasoned driver yet I still avoid the NJ Turnpike. Bumper to bumper at 75mph. You guys are idiots.

BTW, that funny little handle on the left hand side of the steering wheel is the blinker. Push up to put the right blinker on, pull down for the left.

In the New York Metropolitan area turn signals are not required (and considered wasting energy) if there is room to move into the next lane. Turn signals are only used to alert the driver in the next lane when you are going to cut them off, especially when riding in the far left lane and one has to exit immediately, cutting across 3 lanes. :happy2:

Try the NJ Turnpike at 7 am coming back from the airport in a feeder, speed limit 55, that may be what the sign says, but you'll get run over at anything less than 60.

To aviod the negative connotations should it be referred to as "assertive" driving rather than "aggressive" ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of our drivers was coming back to NY on the NJ Tpke and ended up in the Exact Change Only lane and, you guessed it, did not have exact change. He didn't make too many friends that day.

Thank God for EZ Pass.

ikoi62

75 mph is for the slower right lanes..lol

you mean that one that controls the wipers does something else too? what will they think of next!:funny:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Californians don't use blinkers very much either.....I was shocked when we drove over the state line to Oregon, everybody uses the blinkers. It was so nice.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Aggressive-defensive disorder is closely related to bipolar disorder and manic-depressive disorder. I think there's medication and treatment for all three...