Newish driver needing explanations of how/when raises happen.

Hey, for background I started as a casual driver november 2021, and then was hired full time/joined the union as a 22.4 march 1 2022. As I understand under the contract, that would make march 1 my seniority date, and all yearly raises should happen then.

However this year I actually received my one year raise to 21.25 starting from january 10. While I have no problem with being paid more earlier, even my shop steward has not been able to give me an answer as to why my raise happened then, or if that is the date I should expect future annual raises. For reference my local is 177, and looking at the time off viewer, my next vacation earn date is 1/11/24, which suggests for some reason that is my seniority date

I know 1/10 is the end of the yearly “free period”, but I’m not sure why I would get my raise that day.

nWo

It sounds like your seniority date is January 11th 2022. If you think it should be later then keep that to yourself.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
School? If you mean training, I did the week training before starting as a casual driver. Nothing specifix was said, it was just “package car driver training”
I mean driving school. Because depending on what your regional supplement entails you may have language in there that entitles you to a hire wage. For example My region if you cover drive 30 days non consecutive in a 120 period you will keep a cover driver pay rate when going full time. What you were coded for going to driving school can mean a lot. It’s important to know this because the pay is different for each class.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
E9A3F96F-0BA4-4516-AB6F-FF6CAC79292F.jpeg

DriverNerd

Did you continue driving after peak or did you come back to work in March? If you worked the whole time you didn't make seniority until your 30 days were over, but your anniversary and seniority date are the day you started (after the free period).

Did you continue driving after peak or did you come back to work in March? If you worked the whole time you didn't make seniority until your 30 days were over, but your anniversary and seniority date are the day you started (after the free period).
Thank you, this makes sense now, as I continued driving after peak.

To answer another question I saw, seasonal drivers are always referred to as casuals here. No idea why.

Honestly I get the feeling neither management nor the union reps here know wtf is up most of the time in my building. Like everyone is a chicken with their head cut off running around. Other examples of weird stuff from that time include being told I was working on my 30 days in december, then being told that wasn’t true due to the free period I later learned of. Or how I was told that to get hired on permanently you had to “make book”, which they said was coming in without being over allowed 5 days in a row. However I was never told I did this and it was never mentioned after I became permanent.

Also, since people keep mentioning it here, wtf is a cover driver? Is it literally just someone who covers routes for others? Didn’t know that was a seperate job, they mostly just have us 22.4 guys cover routes in my building.

My building is a bit of a :censored2:show though. We have a revolving door of supervisors, the center manager just walked out and didn’t come back, a supe got busted drinking in the office, and we don’t even have security on the way out like other buildings

Last edited:

ManInBrown

Seniority dates are adjusted all the time for new employees. Once you are brought back, or made a permanent employee the union gets involved and double checks and makes sure the dates are correct. Yours got pushed backed to january. It was a benefit to you. Don’t ask questions. That’s what it is.

Commercial Inside Release

Your seniority date usually will not be during the seasonal hiring period. During peak (generally Oct 15th to Jan 15th, give or take a few days,) you won't get a seniority date.

There are some exceptions, though.