Night deliveries and a good flashlight

WyoBrown

The days are getting shorter and the no. of stops are increasing. I need a good beam of light to see addresses, any recommendations? Does anyone use one of those pricey lumen ones? How do they compare with the LED? Missing summer already!

dillweed

Best flashlight we've ever had is a maglite. We have the 3 cell D model which gives good light and is heavy enough to knock a bad dog into next week.

Cementups

Box Monkey
i recommend staying away from LED. They save energy but aren't near as bright as a regular bulb for distance applications. Up close, awesome. More than 5 feet, not as good. I'm with Dillweed, stic with the old fashioned Maglite

Overpaid Union Thug

I've tried plenty of flashlights and nothing works better for me than a SureFire.

I have the cheapest model but it works like a charm. Its light, compact, and bright. A combination that is hard to find with most other brands. The military uses them on their rifles. I used to get replacement batteries for them from an in-law that is in the army. Mine has a holster much like my cell phone. I used a Maglite for a year. They are too big and heavy and not bright enough. My SureFire can light up an address number on a mailbox or a house from a greater distance than any Maglite I ever had. There are a couple of other good brands similar to Surefire but I have yet to try them out. I have no reason to switch yet.

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't carry a flashlight. Been on the area 15 years.

You would be if you worked in my area. As fast as this area is growing it's hard to keep up with all the new housing areas being built. Add that to the fact that add/cuts in EDD have drivers going all over the map. I saw drivers like you using flashlights for the first time in years after we got PAS/EDD. At the very least I use one to avoid stepping in one of the steaming piles of dog surprise.

Mike Hawk

You people that discount LED's have only used Wal-Mart quality LEDs, my bike light is bright enough to make cars flash their high beams at me on the road and bright enough on the trail to see 100 yards ahead. It runs off 4 AA size lithium-ion batteries, and the light head is small enough that I can almost close my hand around it. The LEDs in this one cost maybe $60 alone, but they will last 50,000 hours, I will upgrade them to something more efficient before they burn out(or break). Maglites are cheaper and easier to use, and also serve as a baseball bat.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I've tried plenty of flashlights and nothing works better for me than a SureFire.

they should be a damn good light sicne I vcould fill my gas tank with Premium twice just to pay for one.

I too have vbeen on my area long enough I can tell you exactly where every house is. I carry a flashlilght in my EDC box but never have to use it. My area is also in a growth pattern but I can still keep up on new builds

haydendavid380

is property of UPS
Hands down the best flashlight I've ever used. Mine has been dropped in water, fell out of the truck on the highway, and forgotten in the driveway, stuck in a frozen puddle. It has been the only led I've used that works well from a distance.

barnyard

KTM rider
I went to a cop supply store and bought an LED flashlight. Uses 3-AA's and works perfectly for shining house numbers. I also bought the leather belt holster thing, so it is easy to carry (actually bought 2, one of them is zip tied to my diad holder so that I know where the light is during the day, without having to carry it.)

I have also found that since I have aged, I need an extra light to read my mileage.

TB

Bryishre

ktm atv racer
What i do is the neighborhoods. Where the numbers are harder to see i run them in the daytime. Save the ones that are easier to see with headlights in the evening. Another thing to do is look how the numbers run and learn them. So when you get a house or two without numbers you wont pass a stop. i use a mag lite when i pretrip the tractor.

WyoBrown

The grasshopper thanks you for your suggestions. Sorry, should have thought of the search before this...duh. The surefire looks great, cabelas has a whole line of them but knowing me, I would lose it after a week or two. And pricey! Whoa! But, the size and the belt clip fit my needs perfectly. Hmmm...we'll see how much overtime I get this week, then I'll invest :)