NO REFERENCES

k78333

Retired recently and found a bus driver job part-time. They need 3 professional references w/ e mail info. Found out along the way that UPS doesn't give references anymore ( never mind e-mail addresses)! You work there for 25,30 years and they can't say anything about me? Frustrating! So if you are keeping your nose clean to look good on a reference from these bums, DON'T BOTHER!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS will only confirm your work history. Very few major corporations give references as they fear the legal recourse a negative reference may bring.

Sent using BrownCafe App

stealth8

Make sure you clear that job with your pension office. My pension has restrictions on doing certain driving jobs that compete with union work. If the union finds out that you are performing a job on the restricted list they have the right to stop paying your pension. Read the fine print when you go in to sign your retirement papers. It varies fro m local to local, some have no restrictions at all.

Sent using BrownCafe App

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Make sure you clear that job with your pension office. My pension has restrictions on doing certain driving jobs that compete with union work. If the union finds out that you are performing a job on the restricted list they have the right to stop paying your pension. Read the fine print when you go in to sign your retirement papers. It varies fro m local to local, some have no restrictions at all.

Sent using BrownCafe App

This.

One of our former on-cars, who drove for 15 years, is doing the same, so it must be OK with our pension fund.

Lucky him.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
One of our former on-cars, who drove for 15 years, is doing the same, so it must be OK with our pension fund.
UPS Management Pension has no restrictions where you work after you retire.
When one retires from management, the Teamster's have no say on pension.
Teamster union does.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
He had a dual pension hence my reference to the years he spent driving.
If he worked in a Teamster job someplace other than UPS that make senses.
Any Teamster time worked at UPS is credited towards the time of service for UPS Management pension.
I have known several UPS management who worked as a Teamster for several years and then went into management and when they retired, they drove for another trucking company or busline.

rod

Retired 22 years

Sent using BrownCafe App

Very good advise. There is no one size fits all rule when it come to retiring. Driving a school bus was allowed where I am but that was about the only "driving" job that was when I retired. I know the guys retiring now around here have a much larger choice of jobs they can do if the want to. The Union has relaxed the rules------here.

upschuck

Don't know for sure, but I've heard since UPS took the pension over, all restrictions have been removed. UPS covers anything the union does not pay.

Panin

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Where I am, there are no longer work restrictions on the pension. I get a UPS pension, to a point. I think this changes local to local. Ask fist, act second.

I was a long time driver and have both UPS and Teamster pensions. It's complicated, but, in my case, if you have the new UPS pension, there are no work restrictions, unlike the guys I worked beside for decades, who have Teamster work restrictions.

Ask and verify. In writing.

Why would you want to work a job that pays less than what you were doing in the first place? I'm thinking retirement is a good thing with a decent income.

oldngray

nowhere special
Where I am, there are no longer work restrictions on the pension. I get a UPS pension, to a point. I think this changes local to local. Ask fist, act second.

I was a long time driver and have both UPS and Teamster pensions. It's complicated, but, in my case, if you have the new UPS pension, there are no work restrictions, unlike the guys I worked beside for decades, who have Teamster work restrictions.

Ask and verify. In writing.

Why would you want to work a job that pays less than what you were doing in the first place? I'm thinking retirement is a good thing with a decent income.

Usually you can't work in same industry but any other job is allowed. You can be a Walmart greeter but you can't drive for FedEx. And I agree, why work after you retire? Not for big money but just part time and something you like to do, so it won't feel like you are really working. Almost any job would be less stressful than UPS. My local did used to have restrictions where retirees couldn't work ANY job but that was changed several years ago so that only trucking industry was not allowed.

Panin

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Usually you can't work in same industry but any other job is allowed. You can be a Walmart greeter but you can't drive for FedEx. And I agree, why work after you retire? Not for big money but just part time and something you like to do, so it won't feel like you are really working. Almost any job would be less stressful than UPS.

Not true where I am, I could work for FDX, hence the importance of verifying with your local and UPS as to any work restrictions. Those rules do apply to the guys I worked along side of, but who retired before I did. In my jurisdiction, there are no restrictions.

I certainly wouldn't give up vacation and benefits to turn purple at my age, though. If I felt the need to work instead of spending time with grand kids and working on my saggy tan, I'd still be working.

Honestly, a trained monkey could do the job now. I started on paper.

Shadow999

Retired recently and found a bus driver job part-time. They need 3 professional references w/ e mail info. Found out along the way that UPS doesn't give references anymore ( never mind e-mail addresses)! You work there for 25,30 years and they can't say anything about me? Frustrating! So if you are keeping your nose clean to look good on a reference from these bums, DON'T BOTHER!!!![/quo
Retired recently and found a bus driver job part-time. They need 3 professional references w/ e mail info. Found out along the way that UPS doesn't give references anymore ( never mind e-mail addresses)! You work there for 25,30 years and they can't say anything about me? Frustrating! So if you are keeping your nose clean to look good on a reference from these bums, DON'T BOTHER!!!!
If you have a sup. you got along with, call him or her.