Non-Management workers doing management work!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Is it possible for a non-management worker to be paid for management hours and do mangement work?

I remember when I was a preload supervisor and I was not feeling well, I would get a couple of hourly employees to load my trucks ... my numbers sucked but some days you don't feel like loading 6 cars in addition to all your management responsibilities.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I remember when I was a preload supervisor and I was not feeling well, I would get a couple of hourly employees to load my trucks ... my numbers sucked but some days you don't feel like loading 6 cars in addition to all your management responsibilities.
That was pretty much every day wasn't it?

22.34life

this may vary by supplement,but in se texas hourly employees are not supposed to perform management duties.I dont know exactly what your question is but if your having a problem with some hourly telling you what to do,or some hourly doing managment work instead of breaking his back like you are,talk to a steward and see what he says.

Mandrake

Training by union employees is allowed in the contract. A union trainer is given a 50-cent premium for time spent training. It used to be done in my building years ago, but we have training supervisors now. Thats good to hear that union driver trainers may be spreading around. I've always considered the management training program to be a waste of money. Most of the training supervisors in my building are often doing nothing. It's obviously cheaper to occasionally pay a 50 cent premium than it is to add dedicated management trainers, whom often have nothing to do.
The original poster is speaking of actually running areas as a union employee, I think. Well, you work as directed. If you're asked to do it, then you do so. On days when we've had no supervisor, I've been told to do it, while management told the rest of the area, "Do what this guy says today." You can't be paid in any special kind of way.