Non-Management workers doing management work!!!

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by bleujade, Jul 15, 2010.

1. bleujade

bleujade New Member

Is it possible for a non-management worker to be paid for management hours and do mangement work?
  2. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

I remember when I was a preload supervisor and I was not feeling well, I would get a couple of hourly employees to load my trucks ... my numbers sucked but some days you don't feel like loading 6 cars in addition to all your management responsibilities.
  3. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

That was pretty much every day wasn't it?
  4. FracusBrown

FracusBrown Ponies and Planes

If your on the clock, you get paid whether you do management work, hourly work or no work at all.
  5. 22.34life

22.34life Active Member

this may vary by supplement,but in se texas hourly employees are not supposed to perform management duties.I dont know exactly what your question is but if your having a problem with some hourly telling you what to do,or some hourly doing managment work instead of breaking his back like you are,talk to a steward and see what he says.
  6. whiskey

whiskey New Member

Yes. But the non-management worker is not paid with money. This occurs more often than you think.
  7. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

8. PT Stewie

PT Stewie "Big Fella"

I see it every day in my hub
  9. hypocrisy

hypocrisy Banned

It was called "driver trainers" and it didn't last very long.
  10. slantnosechevy

slantnosechevy Active Member

Oh yes it did last and will be coming to a theatre near you very soon.
  11. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

Mgmt had me doing non-union work for quite a while. The union busted the ploy, after about 3 months.
  12. Mandrake

Mandrake New Member

Training by union employees is allowed in the contract. A union trainer is given a 50-cent premium for time spent training. It used to be done in my building years ago, but we have training supervisors now. Thats good to hear that union driver trainers may be spreading around. I've always considered the management training program to be a waste of money. Most of the training supervisors in my building are often doing nothing. It's obviously cheaper to occasionally pay a 50 cent premium than it is to add dedicated management trainers, whom often have nothing to do.
    The original poster is speaking of actually running areas as a union employee, I think. Well, you work as directed. If you're asked to do it, then you do so. On days when we've had no supervisor, I've been told to do it, while management told the rest of the area, "Do what this guy says today." You can't be paid in any special kind of way.