NPR story on UPS and technology

Quigley

This whole debate is based on you stating

"Only because they can't vote. I voted NO on 7contracts"
Now you say you only voted no once.
I dont get it.

AKupser

Ice Queen (Elsa)
Yes but this is what quigley doesn't understand.

I can like my job and how I'm compensated but still feel a contract is not fair to the brotherhood as a whole.
Hello, the right to vote any way you want should not be judged by others! BS 688 you vote how you want and &$@+ what anyone else thinks!

Quigley

Yes but this is what quigley doesn't understand.

I can like my job and how I'm compensated but still feel a contract is not fair to the brotherhood as a whole.
My post was based on your statement of voting no on 7 contracts. What I dont understand is why you would make that statement if it isnt true.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This whole debate is based on you stating

"Only because they can't vote. I voted NO on 7contracts"
Now you say you only voted no once.
I dont get it.
Here's where those brain cells come in.

You're arguing with me about something someone else posted.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Seems to me if you hated enough to vote no verytime you would find a better job.

Not true, sir. I've got 30 years on the scorecard, and the only contract I voted for was the one we struck for. And only after they improved on their, Last, Best offer.

Do you suggest I find another job, or continue to vote the way I feel?

browniehound

Earle is a runner-gunner.
He is, and an embarrassment to the rest of the hard working, rules following, method using drivers. First, he says "I get frustrated but I can't take it personal." Really, Earle? How are you supposed to take it? They are attacking and questioning YOU about bulk-head, time to stop, time at stop, etc.. How is that not personal?

Secondly, he says " I used to do 90 stops but now I do 120" and the article says same driver, same truck. Earle, my friend, are you crazy? How can you do an extra 30 stops in the same amount of time as before?

Fifteen years ago I could do about 21-24 house calls per hour and today I can do about 21-24 house calls per hour. The only way this could change would be if the UPS trucks were made like the recycle trucks. You know, they have a steering wheel on both sides and he drives the wheel that is on the side he's doing and he has a brake that secures the truck but its still running and his bins are open to deposit the bottles and cans.

Maybe UPS should take a page out of the trash guys book. I could do 30-35 an hour if I could work like that, lol.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
But your the best paid in the industry. Lol

Not that we aren't paid well but does that excuse really hold water when your competition still qualifies for food stamps after a 50 hour week?

Plus we all know part timers aren't paid :censored2: but they still work them like dogs.

Yeah, I love how this thinking always applies to us hourlies. OK, fine.

But it never applies to the corporate boardrooms. Using that line of thinking, shouldn't our board taken a little hit after our last peak?

How about this maroon COO who got pushed out at Yahoo. Pushed out with a $58 million payday for 15 months of incompetence. That happens a lot in boardrooms. Funny, but you never hear about "best paid in the industry" when board members evaluate other board members.

Funny.

browniehound

Do you think maybe we are the highest paid in the industry because we are the most productive, efficient, hardest workers IN the industry? Do they ever mention that? No, they have to say we need technology to be the most productive.

Somebody has to be the highest paid and it should be UPS because they do the most work in the least amount of time. What else is there to say about that?

browniehound

Do you think maybe we are the highest paid in the industry because we are the most productive, efficient, hardest workers IN the industry? Do they ever mention that? No, they have to say we need technology to be the most productive.

Somebody has to be the highest paid and it should be UPS because they do the most work in the least amount of time. What else is there to say about that?

Think about it. Everyday my truck is busting out the sides with packages. I have a heavy industrial route and 35 pick-ups on top of the 55-65 commercial stops and 400+ pieces, which should be enough to turn a healthy profit if we pretended my route was a small business. But UPS throws another 65-80 residential stops on top of that.

Do you ever see any of our competitors with loads or dispatches like ours? I'll help you out, the answer is no. Don't be fooled when a division or district manager gives a PCM crying that we are at a competitive disadvantage because UPS has to pay a union wage.

The reality is we are in an incredible competitive advantage starting with the simple fact of our stop density and 1 driver doing it in 1/6th the area Fed-Ex ground does it in. Plus, it takes Fed-Ex Ground, Fed-Ex Express, and Fed-Ex Home Delivery to do the job of 1(one) UPS driver.

If that's not a huge competitive advantage then I don't know what one is...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

We are the highest paid because of the union. No other reason

If we made half wouldn't matter. They would push just as much.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
688 is the man.

Eight, eight, eight. That is the philosophy unions fought for. Eight hours work, 8 for sleep, and 8 for yourself.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
You are right. I apologise, my mistake. It was somebody else.

Yes I voted No 7 times quigley. I have 4 1/2 for my 30. It is enough for me. My point was I can vote every contract. Why can't the part timer? They could own all the contracts. Then the full timers would be out side looking in. I say shame on them for not voting. I do feel they deserve much more. But, if you don't vote. Shut up!