Obama campaign workers angry over unpaid wages

chev

Nightcrawler
http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=9299280

A sign of what's to come of an Obama administration?

Indianapolis - Lines were long and tempers flared Wednesday not to vote but to get paid for canvassing for Barack Obama. Several hundred people are still waiting to get their pay for last-minute campaigning. Police were called to the Obama campaign office on North Meridian Street downtown to control the crowd.
The line was long and the crowd was angry at times.
"I want my money today! It's my money. I want it right now!" yelled one former campaign worker.
A former spokesman for the Obama campaign said 375 people were hired as part of the Vote Corps program and said people signed up to work three-hour shifts at a time. Three hours of canvassing got workers a $30 pre-paid Visa card.
The workers showed up to get their cards Wednesday morning at 10:00 am.
"There was a note on the door saying 1:00 pm and then at 1:20 pm everybody was like why is nobody here. They just got here and they're trying to get it organized," said Heather Richards, a former campaign worker.
The large gathering of around 375 people prompted police to call in extra officers and set up temporary barricades. The barricades helped keep the crowd from spilling out onto Meridian Street. Police say the several hundred people in line were for the most part orderly.
"No arrests. Some of the people were upset at first because the line wasn't moving as fast as they thought it should. But we really haven't had any problems," said Major Darryl Pierce, Metro Police.
Eventually people did start getting paid, but some said they were missing hours and told to fill in paperwork making their claim and that eventually they would get a check in the mail.
"Still that's not right. I'm disappointed. I'm glad for the president, but I'm disappointed in this system," said Diane Jefferson, temporary campaign worker.
"It should have been $480. It's $230," said Imani Sankofa.
"They gave us $10 an hour. So we added it. I added up all the hours so it was supposed to be at least $120. All I get is $90," said Charles Martin.
"I worked nine hours a day for 4 days and got paid half of what I should have earned," said Randall Waldon.

Some people weren't satisfied with filling out a claim form for money they felt was still due to them.
"They say that they gonna call you or they going to mail it to you, but I don't know. We'll see what happens," said Antron Grose.
"Talking about they'll mail it to us. I ain't worried about that, man. They're not going to mail nothin'," said Martin.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
That's funny. I imagine Obama's tax plan was was already implemented on the gift cards. Welcome to 39% percent land! I imagine there was a clause in reaaaaaallly small print that said there is an automatic 20 dollar donation to the Obama '12 campaign fund.

Leftinbuilding

I think people are in for a LOT of surprises from Hussein. Just wish they were not dragging me down with them. Nov 4 2008, a date that will live in infamy.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
"It should have been $480. It's $230," said Imani Sankofa.
"They gave us $10 an hour. So we added it. I added up all the hours so it was supposed to be at least $120. All I get is $90," said Charles Martin.
"I worked nine hours a day for 4 days and got paid half of what I should have earned," said Randall Waldon.

Ya mean they had to pay taxes like the rest of us? Probably for the first time in their life. Welcome to the real world.

passerby

Ya mean they had to pay taxes like the rest of us? Probably for the first time in their life. Welcome to the real world.
Yep, taxes are due. Shame on Hussein for playing by the rules.

Didya hear the Repubs sent a lawyer to Alaska to retrieve the goods Sarah 'forgot' to return?

paidslave

(Nice Try CHEV) Here is what you left out.....WAGES RESOLVED!

Chev you are very creative, copy and paste. Very close to libel, defamation of character on your soon to be president! Hope the feds aren't knocking at your door soon!

Obama campaign: Unpaid wages resolved

Posted: Nov 5, 2008 12:38 PM PST
Updated: Nov 6, 2008 01:40 PM PST

Indianapolis - The Obama campaign says most of the payment issues that brought hundreds of upset campaign workers to the Indianapolis office Wednesday have been resolved.
Campaign spokesman Jonathan Swain says a few people showed up Thursday and made arrangements for payment by mail.
A few hundred people stood in line for several hours Wednesday waiting to get paid for working in the final days of the campaign. Many of those people said they were underpaid for the number of hours they worked.

brett636

Re: (Nice Try CHEV) Here is what you left out.....WAGES RESOLVED!

Chev you are very creative, copy and paste. Very close to libel, defamation of character on your soon to be president! Hope the feds aren't knocking at your door soon!

Obama campaign: Unpaid wages resolved

Posted: Nov 5, 2008 12:38 PM PST
Updated: Nov 6, 2008 01:40 PM PST

Indianapolis - The Obama campaign says most of the payment issues that brought hundreds of upset campaign workers to the Indianapolis office Wednesday have been resolved.
Campaign spokesman Jonathan Swain says a few people showed up Thursday and made arrangements for payment by mail.
A few hundred people stood in line for several hours Wednesday waiting to get paid for working in the final days of the campaign. Many of those people said they were underpaid for the number of hours they worked.

I live in Indianapolis and watched this story on our local news, its hardly libel to post a local news story. That being said its not like the Obama campaign had a choice. Just like all the businesses they look forward to taxing more they have to pay people for time worked. Regardless of how many hours they thought those people were supposed to work.

passerby

I live in Indianapolis and watched this story on our local news, its hardly libel to post a local news story. That being said its not like the Obama campaign had a choice. Just like all the businesses they look forward to taxing more they have to pay people for time worked. Regardless of how many hours they thought those people were supposed to work.
Proof? Or just trash talkin'?

passerby

proof for what? WTHR is our local NBC affiliate and there just so happens to be a WTHR link at the top of this thread.

freaking idiots...
So, If taxes are taken out of a paycheck, that constitutes fraud?

And what exactly did Barack Obama have to do with this, personally?

Has Sarah returned the personal items yet? Or has the RNC sent someone to retrieve them?

brett636

So, If taxes are taken out of a paycheck, that constitutes fraud?

And what exactly did Barack Obama have to do with this, personally?

Has Sarah returned the personal items yet? Or has the RNC sent someone to retrieve them?

I know this may hurt a little, but perhaps you should try reading the article first before responding? The issue was not taxes being taken out on their pay, it was them receiving no pay at all for time worked. One person was expecting about $400 and recieved $90, that has very little to do with the taxes they owed on that money.

passerby

I know this may hurt a little, but perhaps you should try reading the article first before responding? The issue was not taxes being taken out on their pay, it was them receiving no pay at all for time worked. One person was expecting about $400 and recieved $90, that has very little to do with the taxes they owed on that money.
Perhaps you should RTF article, and the follow ups.

Because one person 'thought' he was owed $400 doesn't make it so. On top of this, what does this have to do with Barack Obama?

Has Sarah returned the personal items yet?

Why has the RNC dispatched a lawyer to retrieve them?

Stay classy!

brett636

Perhaps you should RTF article, and the follow ups.

Because one person 'thought' he was owed $400 doesn't make it so. On top of this, what does this have to do with Barack Obama?

Has Sarah returned the personal items yet?

Why has the RNC dispatched a lawyer to retrieve them?

Stay classy!

Its called simple math, they were promised $10/hr. and I am guessing that person worked some 40 hours for the Obama campaign. The campaign did the right thing and ponied up the dough they owed those who worked for them.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
These people were promised , by O's campaign staff a living wage. That reflects directly back to him. Since no one from that staff replied to what they promised, then the reporter is correct to assume that eyewitness accounts are known to be true.