Obamacare: 40% tax on highend healthcare plans?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
After reading the links from Cheryl it's quite obvious that this law will not cost me or my employer a dime. Yawn. Enough with the hysteria.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm pretty sure rational people can have a rational discussion about the AHCA without calling each other names. Just sayin.

DorkHead

I'm pretty sure rational people can have a rational discussion about the AHCA without calling each other names. Just sayin.

The show "Washington Week" on Friday evening is probably the only show where rational people discuss (without yelling or confrontation) what happened during the week. They explain what happened and what it means for you and me.

bbsam

Staff member
The show "Washington Week" on Friday evening is probably the only show where rational people discuss (without yelling or confrontation) what happened during the week. They explain what happened and what it means for you and me.
Washington Journal on C-Span does pretty well also. For being on MSNBC, Chris Hayes usually has a decent show Saturday mornings.

pretender

You are confusing the Cadillac health plan tax with current income taxes. This is not a tax that is included when you file your 1040 every year with the IRS. This is a 40% tax that is charged to your employer if your healthcare plan is considered to be too expensive or lavish. Our healthcare plans at UPS will fall under this tax when it goes into effect in 2018. The teamsters fought hard for this President to get elected not knowing the hardships it will cause them in the long term as I don't think this has gone unnoticed by UPS management and will be brought up when contract negotiations start later this year or next.

Or---Perhaps the teamsters did know, and that is why it does not go into effect for 6 years, when it is too late for the members to do anything about it...

brown_trousers

I have asked in other threads but haven't gotten an answer. If it is "compensation", why isn't it and why shouldn't it be taxed?
Because it is one of those things people decided shouldnt be taxed. Kind of a deduction/exemption in a way. just like the many other tax breaks we get, ex... mortgage interest, children, physical handicaps, business losses.

But I have realized lately that this obamacare is nothing more than a redistribution of wealth. Its going to give cheap healthcare to the poor at the expense of us here at UPS paying more for health care.

brown_trousers

Because from what Cheryl posted, people are running around yelling "Tax, tax, tax," and yet when you get down to the reality of it all, it's really quite sane and causes very little hardship if any. Damn details.

Itll be a big damn deal when this legislation decreases your healthcare and you find yourself needing it

L

Loufan

So Obama wants us to have Healthcare just not good healthcare? HIS healthcare. I really love my UPS insurance, it's one of the main reasons i'm with UPS. This would really suck if UPSers get screwed in this process.

bbsam

Staff member
So Obama wants us to have Healthcare just not good healthcare? HIS healthcare. I really love my UPS insurance, it's one of the main reasons i'm with UPS. This would really suck if UPSers get screwed in this process.

Do you guys even bother reading what Cheryl linked? Fact is that if you end up getting screwed, it will be UPS that has decided to screw you. A conscious, calculated, greedy screwing and only with the consent of the union.

bbsam

Staff member
Because it is one of those things people decided shouldnt be taxed. Kind of a deduction/exemption in a way. just like the many other tax breaks we get, ex... mortgage interest, children, physical handicaps, business losses.

But I have realized lately that this obamacare is nothing more than a redistribution of wealth. Its going to give cheap healthcare to the poor at the expense of us here at UPS paying more for health care.

And the 40% tax is on only the amount above what is considered cadillac status?

brett636

I purchase my healthcare policy, thankyou very much.

Then you have seen firsthand what the ACA has done to healthcare insurance premiums. I don't think you will admit to it, but a lot of people have seen double digit increases in their premiums since Obamacare was signed into law, and that is just the start of it. Overtime this law will increase costs, decrease services, and lower the overall level of care the American people receive. The sad truth of it is that is what this law was specifically designed to do.

And the 40% tax is on only the amount above what is considered cadillac status?

What exactly is the point of that anyways? If someone has an expensive healthcare plan then that is their business. The government should not tax an employer simply because some politician feels they are offering too lavish of a benefit package at some arbitrary dollar amount.

bbsam

Staff member
Well healthcare premiums have been sky rocketing for the past decade. Why put that on the ACA? And the point is that those on the right are using a tax scare. There's a big difference between taxing the entire amount and the amount above cadillac status, a difference I think you prefer to have obscured. My premium went down $100 a month. Don't know why.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You Obama haters whine that nothing gets done in congress or govt. Shame on the guy for trying to do something. Healthcare sure wasn't getting cheaper the old way. Maybe sit back and look at the results. Some guy in a chat room has no clue of the details, only what Michael Savage and Glenn Beck tells him.