Obamacare: 40% tax on highend healthcare plans?

klein

Für Meno :)
kLEIN,

Sure klein,

And the tooth fairy still leaves money under the pillow.

In the real world --huge numbers of Canadiens with serious health problems come to the U.S. to avoid the weeks if not months of waiting periods.

Did your mother apply for her hip replacement twenty years ago ???

No, actually she fell and broke it !
Our system works by urgency.

Just like when I went into the walk-in clinic with a bloody dog bitten hand.
I didn't need to wait a minute to get care.
Those with a cold or flu waiting in line before me, were still waiting when I walked out.

I know, in the USA, you can get a hip replacement, even though you don't need one.
No need to wonder why healthcare costs in the US are the most expensive in the world. And if Canadians can afford to jump the line and pay cash in the US, well, good for them. It's peanuts for us, I guess, that so many of us Canadians have that extra luxery.

Next time, for whatever reason it may be that your visiting a hospital, please ask the front desk out of curosity how many Canadians are currently in here getting surgery they couldn't in Canada. (Tourists not included - that may have fallen ill, or broke a bone, while vacationing).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just like when I went into the walk-in clinic with a bloody dog bitten hand.
I didn't need to wait a minute to get care.
Those with a cold or flu waiting in line before me, were still waiting when I walked out.

Klein, when you or anyone else goes to a walk-in clinic or ER, you are triaged, which means you are evaluated and seen based upon the severity of your condition. That is basic medicine.

Can you explain the number of Canadian professional athletes that come to the States for treatment rather than wait in line in Canada?

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam,

You are behind in the real facts. The AARP that is supposed look out for seniors --SUPPORTED Obamacare care for the sole reason --that they --the AARP will SELL very high price premium supplemental policies that only rich seniors will be able to afford. The middle class and poor will recieve the free aspirins. Remember it is Obamacare --that is removing 500 BILLION from senior care. When Ryan or any Republican looks to cut back Medicare the left Press and the libs cry about throwing Grandma under the BUS.

Obama has thrown both Grandma and Grandpa middle class under the bus and then has backed over them
if this is true, I'mm cool with it. Bring on the generational warfare. Personally, I think there are alot of companies that stand to make huge money off this

klein

Can you explain the number of Canadian professional athletes that come to the States for treatment rather than wait in line in Canada?

You tell me, I have no clue.
How can they hold the Olympics anywhere but in the US, if all hospitals in the entire world lag so far behind ?

40 and out

This will most likely affect our next contract negotiations. Because of this cadillac healthcare plan tax that starts during our next contract the company will have no choice, but to ask for heavy concessions on our healthcare plans in order to avoid this massive tax increase. There is a good chance we will all get to pay for this massive tax increase in the forms of lowered healthcare benefits. Remember to send your thank you cards to Obama and the democrats for this great improvement in our lives!

2018 is 5 years into a new contract. Should have little or no effect on our next contract. Contract after that could be problem if this is still in effect.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You tell me, I have no clue.
How can they hold the Olympics anywhere but in the US, if all hospitals in the entire world lag so far behind ?

The US Olympic team brings their own medical staff with them. A local chiropractor is a member of that staff. The athletes receive the highest level of care---they most certainly don't wait in line holding their Medicaid cards.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

2018 is 5 years into a new contract. Should have little or no effect on our next contract. Contract after that could be problem if this is still in effect.

I had asked either earlier in this thread or in another thread whether our next contract would expire in 2018 or whether there would be provisions built in to it to deal with Obamacare. I think the contract will expire and 2018 will be our most contentious contract to date.

klein

The US Olympic team brings their own medical staff with them. A local chiropractor is a member of that staff. The athletes receive the highest level of care---they most certainly don't wait in line holding their Medicaid cards.

Oh, guess what ? So do pro athletes ! Such as the Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Vancouver Canucks, etc.
You think they wait in line, or fly to the US for every injury ? You're way off !

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Oh, guess what ? So do pro athletes ! Such as the Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Vancouver Canucks, etc.
You think they wait in line, or fly to the US for every injury ? You're way off !

I wasn't talking about for a sprained ankle or some other minor injury---I am talking about major surgeries.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
I don't see it that way. It seems to me that the Supreme Court's decision is just holding our republic accountable. The rising cost of healthcare is in large part due to the high numbers of uninsured and under insured people.

When they hit the system (via emergency rooms) they're a lot sicker and it costs so much more money to get them back on their feet. So just like people who stage auto accidents and shoplift, companies pass the cost on to the rest of us.

For all our talk....nobody is going to turn sick people away and let them die in the streets. If they make it to a hospital, they're going to be treated.

So I guess this is the price we're going to have to pay for living in a civilized society.
But even if the Supreme Court had struck down this healthcare bill......we would still be paying anyway.

Because it is one of those things people decided shouldnt be taxed. Kind of a deduction/exemption in a way. just like the many other tax breaks we get, ex... mortgage interest, children, physical handicaps, business losses.

But I have realized lately that this obamacare is nothing more than a redistribution of wealth. Its going to give cheap healthcare to the poor at the expense of us here at UPS paying more for health care.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I don't see it that way. It seems to me that the Supreme Court's decision is just holding our republic accountable. The rising cost of healthcare is in large part due to the high numbers of uninsured and under insured people.

When they hit the system (via emergency rooms) they're a lot sicker and it costs so much more money to get them back on their feet. So just like people who stage auto accidents and shoplift, companies pass the cost on to the rest of us.

For all our talk....nobody is going to turn sick people away and let them die in the streets. If they make it to a hospital, they're going to be treated.

So I guess this is the price we're going to have to pay for living in a civilized society.
But even if the Supreme Court had struck down this healthcare bill......we would still be paying anyway.

So call it a healthcare tax in the bill, debate it properly, and have a vote on a new tax. The law was sold under false pretenses. Roberts' logic was flawed because the bill levies a penalty and not a tax for failing to carry insurance. Who is the Supreme court to change a law after it's passed and call it a tax? They should have made congress go back and reword the law if they wanted to call it a tax.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
I see your point but it makes no difference. Tax or penalty, passed or rejected, everybody pays. We pay through higher productivity demands from UPS. Others with high copays get the bill upfront.