Off Street Hire

non union clerks are "outside" hires also. I worked as a non union clerk three years before getting into driving. The last year of that three was spent begging CMs (3) to give me the chance, but they kept hiring peak temp drivers instead. We were on the 1 for 1 ratio at the time. I even had one center manager tell me that I wasn't getting the chance because I kept his butt out of the ringer too much. I guess excellence is not always rewarded. :happy-very: I think my age at the time had something to do with it also, I was 37 years old.
I'm still trying to find out if I get any time toward retirement for those three years.

steamroll

Rodeo,

the answer lies with your package rider. Is there a formula for off the street hires? Usually, its a 5 to 1 ratio or, 5 inside promotions to 1 off the street hire.

No matter, once the off the street hire was terminated, the company has an obligation to promote from inside the company ranks regardless of the term of the off the street hire.

Lately, the company has hired off the street and put these people directly into cover driving positions and this is a complete violation of both seniority and the established hiring practice going back to 97.

Just because they hired the guy off the street and he was fired, that does not mean they replace him with an off the street hire.

The process starts all over again.

File a grievance on behalf of all the part time employees in your building, there should be a full time driving list posted in HR. I would talk with the HR rep and advise them that this practice is going on.

Contact your agent and demand that the agent look into the hiring practices of the company in your area and accept a greivance for a seniority violation.

Should the company hire again off the street before an inhouse hire, the top seniority part timer on the full time driving list would be entitled to be paid for all time that the off the street hire worked.

Peace.:peaceful:
at my hub, a lot of cover drivers are being sent back to their positions, feeder drivers being sent back to package & package car drivers being laid off & also there's a hiring freeze until february. right now at my yard drivers are being terminated for minor reasons & air drivers are going to HR to have their names removed from the list.