Off the street package car hires

Indy317

I'm in Indiana if that matters. Maybe someone can explain this to me.

9 years working in the hub, the last 3 of which been trying to become a driver. So I took a seasonal position, figured it might be a foot in the door. Was shocked to hear that 1 out of every 5 new drivers is brought in off the street!? ***? And all these guys will have seniority over me?

Have asked numerous people around my center, and the typical explanation is"that's how it is, that's the contract".

This whole deal just seems counter-intuitive to the whole point of being in a Union. Here I've been sweating in the hub this whole time, and some Johhny Nobody is gonna get a job before me?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It use to be 1 of every 2 positions was filled from outside.
The contracts over the years has increased inside union bids.

midwestmess

I worked 9 years part-time and then 1 year 22.3 job before I got hired on as a driver. I too worked as a seasonal driver, did Saturday air and ran EAM's from time to time. During my seasonal driving there were two drivers from off the street that did seasonal and after Labor Day they were hired on. I was irked that I got overlooked but now I like to rub the fact that I have 5 weeks vacation and that they only have three. I also plan to retire well before they do, so don't beat yourself down too much there are things you will have over them when you do finally get the call. Oh by the way there are many days I wish I would have stayed 22.3 (carwash/airport couldn't be easier than that)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would like to introduce myself--my name is Johnny Nobody. I was hired off the street in 1989 after spending 8 years in the Air Force.

As Hoax said, the ratio used to be 1 out of 2. It is now 1 out of 6 in my area.

While I do agree that working on the inside does give you a greater appreciation of the operation, you most certainly do not need to work on the inside to be a good package car driver.

P

pickup

Didn't realize it was worse before. But like I said, what's the motivation?

I would like to introduce myself--my name is Johnny Nobody. I was hired off the street in 1989 after spending 8 years in the Air Force.

As Hoax said, the ratio used to be 1 out of 2. It is now 1 out of 6 in my area.

the motivation? What UpstateNY said is partially true! Another part is that if the job for seasonal driver is truly seasonal and hence temporary, many people wouldn't take the job , knowing that there is no chance to become permanent. Another aspect of the possibility of an outside guy becoming permanent is that the management can use that possibility (and do they ever) to get the most out of the outside hires by convincing them that there is a real possibility(and sometimes there isn't , especially in a small center for example ) that the person might be hired on and that all that the driver has to do is pass the audition (driving peak period for example) .

Well, the driver does everything in his power to do a great job believing this and will ask around to confirm that ,yes ,in past years , people indeed have been hired from the outside . Basically, this outside hire rule allows management to almost promise something that will not happen in a lot of cases (for example, with the economy the way it is, a hub might only need to hire 3 guys in the next year, those three guys have to come from within). The outside guy who did seasonal driving - not a chance with a 5 to 1 hiring ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pickup

the motivation? What UpstateNY said is partially true! Another part is that if the job for seasonal drivers was truly seasonal and hence temporary, many people wouldn't take the job , knowing that there is no chance to become permanent. Another aspect of the possibility of an outside guy becoming permanent is that the management can use that possibility (and do they ever) to get the most out of the outside hires by convincing them that there is a real possibility(and sometimes there isn't , especially in a small center for example ) that the person might be hired on and that all that the driver has to do is pass the audition (driving peak period for example) .

Well, the driver does everything in his power to do a great job believing this and will ask around to confirm that ,yes ,in Past years , people indeed have been hired from the outside . Basically, this outside hire rule allows management to almost promise something that will not happen in a lot of cases (for example, with the economy the way it is, a hub might only need to hire 3 guys in the next year, those three guys have to come from within). The outside guy who did seasonal driving - not a chance with a 5 to 1 hiring ratio.

Now if that guy keeps coming back for seasonal driving, then he might have a chance when the floodgates open up and they are able to hire a bunch of guys in one shot. That is my understanding of it, everyone seems to have different interpretations of how this 5 to 1 rule is implemented.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
The 1 in the 5:1 ratio for outside hires includes PT sups that want to become drivers. PT sups are treated as outside hires because they are not Teamsters. The fastest route to becoming a full time permanent driver, in areas where there is a long wait, may be to become a PT sup, then get hired as an outside FT driver. Before the economy tanked, my district hired hundreds of drivers off the street each year. All the PTers that were qualified were used up. We have people being hired as PT package handlers now, that will actually begin work as full time reg/temp drivers through peak.

bigbrownhen

Let me introduce myself as Jane Nobody. I was an off the street hire. I worked for a small trucking company for 5 years and got to know a few of the UPS drivers in my area. One mentioned to me one day there was a outside hire position coming up. This job is alot harder as far as the pace in concerned, but Im not unloading full pallets of paper or hauling drums of hazmat material either. The bennies and wages were a God send to my family. I can now provide a lifestyle for them that was way out of reach for us. There is no way I could have taken a part time job and supported my family. I understand your frustration, but you also should look at it from the other side.

I know several part timers who have no desire to go full time. There a few drivers that are close in seniorty to me that will retire long before I will. So be it. I have only had one person who had a problem with me being an outside hire. Too bad. You might be surprised how many drivers you work with were outside hires. When the economy picks back up and the upper seniority drivers retire, you will have the job you desire and will move up in seniority at a fast pace. Be patient, you are almost there.

brett636

I suppose it its any consolation to the OP in the area that they work layoffs are done by company seniority, not classification seniority. So all they have to do is get into package car, which shouldn't be a long wait given their current seniority, and when or if layoffs come around those off the street hires will be the ones working in the hub. All they really get is better vacation picks and first dibs on an available route.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I suppose it its any consolation to the OP in the area that they work layoffs are done by company seniority, not classification seniority. So all they have to do is get into package car, which shouldn't be a long wait given their current seniority, and when or if layoffs come around those off the street hires will be the ones working in the hub. All they really get is better vacation picks and first dibs on an available route.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. There are several drivers who were hired before me as preloaders whom I have seniority over in regard to vacations, bids and, yes, layoffs, which are based upon classification seniority, not company seniority.

bigbrownhen

Same way in my center Upstate, the ones with company seniority may get more weeks of vacation and will retire earlier than me, but I have seniority when it comes to picking vacation weeks, 8 hr days, option days and layoffs.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yes, here in NE, PT seniorty has no bearing on layoffs between two FT'ers.

A 20 year PT'er has less seniority than a 31 day FT'er. I disagree with that but it is what it is.

brett636

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. There are several drivers who were hired before me as preloaders whom I have seniority over in regard to vacations, bids and, yes, layoffs, which are based upon classification seniority, not company seniority.

Perhaps in your area of the country this is true, but not here. The local 135 supplement clearly states that layoffs are done by "company seniority", and that is how it is done here. It may be different where you work.

An off the street hire for package car brought in in 2005 will get laid off before the OP will if he were also working in that same center.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Perhaps in your area of the country this is true, but not here. The local 135 supplement clearly states that layoffs are done by "company seniority", and that is how it is done here. It may be different where you work.

It is and based on some of the others posts it is different in other areas of the country. It doesn't really matter to me as I am #9 in the bldg so I am not that worried.

brett636

It is and based on some of the others posts it is different in other areas of the country. It doesn't really matter to me as I am #9 in the bldg so I am not that worried.

I wasn't trying to worry you nor was I directing my post at you. I was speaking to the original poster and you attempted to tell me I was wrong based on how layoffs are handled in your area when it is obviously different elsewhere.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I wasn't trying to worry you nor was I directing my post at you. I was speaking to the original poster and you attempted to tell me I was wrong based on how layoffs are handled in your area when it is obviously different elsewhere.

No, I told you that you were wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.:wink2: