Oil

moreluck

golden ticket member
While that may be a fact the reason for the price hike is not quite so clear.
To Joe Blow just gassing up to go to work, the reason doesn't matter. He sees the price of gas and he knows who's president. It doesn't make any difference to him what the reason is. He just knows that summer vacation is scaled way back if something doesn't give soon.

klein

Für Meno :)
Canadians bristle at Romney comment that Americans ‘deserve’ oil sands crude

It was this remark to his supporters, reported by CTV News, that brought some Canadians up short: "I'll get us that oil from Canada that we deserve."

"I strongly supported the Keystone XL pipeline to Texas, but I'm bothered when he said they deserved our Canadian oil," commenter cixcents said after reading the CTV story. "I guess that's just my Canadian part in me reacting to his arrogance."

"They deserve it!" commented kg1. "Really, besides shooting off at the mouth and bullying every other country to get the resources of that country what exactly have they done to 'deserve' it. Oh wait, they will probably come in and bully us and attack us as well, maybe thats their definition of 'deserve.' "

The Americans' access to oil sands crude was largely taken for granted until Prime Minister Stephen Harper, reacting to the shelving of Keystone XL, made it a national policy to find alternate markets in Asia for Canadian energy via the controversial proposed Northern Gateway pipeline to the West Coast.

Amy Davidson, writing in the New Yorker, recognized the arrogance of Romney's statement.
"He said he wanted the XL Pipeline built to 'get us the oil from Canada we deserve' — is the idea that it would be wasted on Canadians, or that this is crude of a particularly fine vintage?" she wrote.
"I like Romney but don't like the sentiment he expressed there," Jay commented on the CTV story.
"Problem is, I think most Americans share that sentiment - in other words, they feel 'entitled' to our oil .

moreluck

golden ticket member
107207_600.jpg

wkmac

Is oil really going up in price or is the price at the pump an actual manifestation of the declining value of the dollar because of inflation of the money supply as an answer to self inflicted economic crisis?

Others have clearly showed that oil is up in price only in relationship to the value of the Federal Reserve Note denominated in dollars but in relationship to other commodities like gold when compared on par, oil has gone down in price.

Hmmmmm!

bbsam

Staff member
I'm a little slow on this. Why do people think getting an extra X barrels of day of oil is going to do anything but make oil companies richer? If we are close to being a net oil exporter, doesn't that tell you something? It says that if we import 13% of our oil from the middle east, every bit of that 13% (plus a smidge more) is already being produced here and exported to other countries. That is what "net exporter" means, isn't it? If so, increased domestic oil supply in the market as it stands will do next to nothing at the pump and be a (nother) cash cow for the oil industry.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To be fair to moreluck, this is the actual title of the article; however, to be more accurate, the word "an" should be replaced with "one of the". It will take a combination of increased fuel efficiency, improved driving habits/vehicle maintenance and lower fuel prices to truly make a difference.

I traded in my Chevy Colorado for a Nissan Altima a few years ago and improved my mpg by an average of 10. I fill up every 3-4 weeks. Fuel prices do not have a major impact on me personally.

wkmac

I'm a little slow on this. Why do people think getting an extra X barrels of day of oil is going to do anything but make oil companies richer? If we are close to being a net oil exporter, doesn't that tell you something? It says that if we import 13% of our oil from the middle east, every bit of that 13% (plus a smidge more) is already being produced here and exported to other countries. That is what "net exporter" means, isn't it? If so, increased domestic oil supply in the market as it stands will do next to nothing at the pump and be a (nother) cash cow for the oil industry.

Just beyond the eminent domain issue the fact we are or is it were now, net exporting raises questions as to the why of the Keystone XL. But aside from that, the oil industry has cartelized itself to where it does control the market. If new oil enters the market, production elsewhere is scaled back to keep the global inventory at a level to keep prices up. This is also another reason why these same oil companies or rather the industry itself must control all oil resources globally or else rogue states or economic interests could inject inventory which forces prices down and thus profits with it. You know, it's that whole "free market" thingy so many rant about and fear so greatly will take us down. Amazing how well illusions really do work!

bbsam

Staff member
Just beyond the eminent domain issue the fact we are or is it were now, net exporting raises questions as to the why of the Keystone XL. But aside from that, the oil industry has cartelized itself to where it does control the market. If new oil enters the market, production elsewhere is scaled back to keep the global inventory at a level to keep prices up. This is also another reason why these same oil companies or rather the industry itself must control all oil resources globally or else rogue states or economic interests could inject inventory which forces prices down and thus profits with it. You know, it's that whole "free market" thingy so many rant about and fear so greatly will take us down. Amazing how well illusions really do work!
I do believe you just told me that I am more or less correct! Maybe it's the others who are a little slow.

klein

Für Meno :)
Watch out for higher oil prices !

Enbridge pipeline shut down after Illinois car crash won't restart until Thursday

NEW LENOX, Ill. - Enbridge Inc., (TSX:ENB) has shut down a pipeline that carries oil from Canada to the U.S. after two vehicles crashed through a fence outside Chicago and struck the pipeline, causing a fiery explosion.
Police in New Lenox, Ill., say two men were killed and three others were injured in the Saturday crash.
Enbridge spokeswoman Lorraine Little said the pipeline was shut down immediately when sensors detected a drop in pressure. A second, undamaged line was also shut down as a precaution.

The line is 60 centimetres wide and carries various grades of crude from Canada, as well as oil from North Dakota. It normally transports 317,000 barrels per day.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So far (sunday night) oil is down 2% in pretrading overnight. The Oil SPIKE was all for profits for the 1st quarter and its on its way back down. The windfall for the oil companies should be taxed triple!!!!

Peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

BUSH wanted to PROMOTE SWITCHGRASS as an alternative to OIL and YOU were cool with that then, but today, alternatives upset YOU?? BUSH said in the state of the union speech in 2006 that he wanted to promote the use of switchgrass as an alternative source of energy and that he was going to invest tax payer dollars into the project. THE GOP CLAPPED for minutes.
What Happened to Bush Call for Switch Grass? - ABC News

He went on to talk about switchgrass for three more years spending money on the project, but where are the results? Where was your outrage over that?

Please. Pick a side.

TOS

moreluck

golden ticket member
BUSH wanted to PROMOTE SWITCHGRASS as an alternative to OIL and YOU were cool with that then, but today, alternatives upset YOU?? BUSH said in the state of the union speech in 2006 that he wanted to promote the use of switchgrass as an alternative source of energy and that he was going to invest tax payer dollars into the project. THE GOP CLAPPED for minutes.
What Happened to Bush Call for Switch Grass? - ABC News

He went on to talk about switchgrass for three more years spending money on the project, but where are the results? Where was your outrage over that?

Please. Pick a side.

TOS
Show me where I've ever said or wrote that I was or wasn't for snakegrass or whatever you are referring to. Quit saying what you don't know. You gotta quit making up stuff.
I've never discussed Bush and grass in any context!!