Oil

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You are constantly dismissing alternative fuels and energy that OBAMA is attempting to create, YET, you supported a president who was attempting the same thing for 8 years and never UTTERED a word on your outrage.

This is a hypocritical position.

Being for it before you are against it. Pretty simple to understand.

Peace

TOS

klein

Für Meno :)
Moreluck also thinks oil from Canada will be cheaper than world market prices.
Well, maybe, if US tax payers subsidize it.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
NOT ONE of the C9ers will talk about the wasted investments BUSH made in switchgrass, but they will harp on solyndra everyday.

They bag on OBAMAS call for algae investment, but support BUSH when he was going to turn switchgrass into fuel.

Give us a break.

Peace

TOS

moreluck

golden ticket member
Moreluck also thinks oil from Canada will be cheaper than world market prices.
Well, maybe, if US tax payers subsidize it.
Why don't you post just what KLEIN THINKS and not what you think somebody else thinks. If I have a thought on this subject, I'll post it myself.

bbsam

Staff member
In defense of algae (which grows everywhere) diesel engines first ran on peanut oil, B20 is made with soybean oil so why be stupid and poopoo the idea?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Excellent article.

Steven Chu is right---it will take $8-10/gallon gas prices before Americans get serious about alternative energy sources. Europe has had these prices for quite some time and has adapted quite nicely. Americans would be more hard pressed to give up their SUV's and $8-10/gal gas prices would further separate the haves from the have nots.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Europe also has vehicles that regularly get 40/50 mpg.
But we will never get to see those vehicles since many can not be adapted to our standards.
It's not demand that causes Europe's high fuel prices, but taxes on fuel .
So if bhos wants all to pay higher prices now , all he has to do is sign another Executive Order and make us all pay his price.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Europeans have adapted. You rarely if ever see an SUV--most are small, two seaters. You see a lot of bicycles, motorcycles and scooters. Public transportation is a way of life.

Air quality is an issue.

The highways are very well maintained.

My point was Americans won't get serious about alternative energy sources until it really hits them in the wallet.

bbsam

Staff member
Europe also has vehicles that regularly get 40/50 mpg.
But we will never get to see those vehicles since many can not be adapted to our standards.
It's not demand that causes Europe's high fuel prices, but taxes on fuel .
So if bhos wants all to pay higher prices now , all he has to do is sign another Executive Order and make us all pay his price.
I think they are coming close. If Volkswagen can build a Jetta to get 45mpg, so can Ford, Chevy, and Chrysler. New Fiestas do pretty well. The point is that people have to WANT to buy them. Until then, there simply is no need for companies to build them.

Steven Rattner had an interesting graph on Morning Joe the other day showing domestic use of oil over the last 10 years. Conservation is actually doing quite a bit in the United States, but oil prices being so controlled by world market forces is being driven by the emerging markets of India and China.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Heck, china is buying up every new oil contract that appears.
They produce none , so they are forced to import all of it.
They also have the worst cities with smog worldwide.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The pres. has already made an edict that all cars on the road will get 55 MPG or better by 20....and I forget what year he said.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The pres. has already made an edict that all cars on the road will get 55 MPG or better by 20....and I forget what year he said.

For decades in this country, the oil companies and the auto makers worked together to keep standards on fuel economy LOW, and further, the OIL companies would buy up all the small start up companies who invented alternative fuel vehicles and then killed those companies.

That action is coming back to haunt us today. Why have the japanese progressed so far with fuel mileage and alternative fuel cars and we havent?

Oh, thats right, they dont have any BIG OIL interference.

Here, the almighty dollar means more to BIG OIL than the american citizen. They dont care if we all go broke buying gas, they could care less. The first week of april, you will see the profit report for BIG OIL and those numbers will be staggering.

There will be new record for windfall profits in the first quarter.

Ask yourself this question, why when BUSH was in office oil hit 150 a barrel yet prices at the pump were this high (4.50), and early in obamas term oil hit 115 a barrel and prices were at (4.00) and today at 106 a barrel prices are at (4.50)

How does this make sense? There is more oil today in the United States than ever and yet prices are through the roof? Where is the consumer outrage? Dont get mad at OBAMA, this is price fixing by big oil and the speculators.

Peace

TOS