Old Trucks vs New trucks

clean hairy

So, we know the oldies with 6 cyl engines would run forever so it seemed.
What was the most miles an old timer driver went before their 6 cyl truck went into the shop for engine issues, compared to the newer trucks?

bbsam

Staff member
So, we know the oldies with 6 cyl engines would run forever so it seemed.
What was the most miles an old timer driver went before their 6 cyl truck went into the shop for engine issues, compared to the newer trucks?
And consider how hard and fast they had to be run to make power. Newer engines, gas or diesel, spin at 2/3 the speed of the old engines.

brostalss

Waiting for my new engine to be put in my P12

6.0L heavy duty GM Silverado truck engine.

Back in June a utility driver threw two rods. One out each side of the oil pan. Glad I was off that week.

Bottom rung

New diesel engines have too many federally mandated emissions systems that fail and require constant maintenance. They also have horrible fuel mileage now, due to the emissions systems.

oldngray

nowhere special
I remember when UPS was replacing the 292 straight 6 GMC engines with that 4.3 V-6. The 4.3 had more power but not durable enough. Those old 292's were slower than molasses but would run almost forever.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Had my freightliner (700)since it had 30 miles and now i think im up to 85000 roughly. Fast , been in the shop maybe 10 times for various small things an probably 2 road calls. Its a diesel and compared to the pos hybrid, i wouldnt want one. I think their hybrid was a waste of money only to please the publics environmental eye.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
It is because of the cost of engine replacement and the price of diesel fuel. 1/10th the cost to replace a gas engine.
A reman VT365 is about $12k and a 6.0 Chevy is about $3k, with about equal life spans and about a third the down time for the Chevy and better performance in general.

barnyard

KTM rider
A reman VT365 is about $12k and a 6.0 Chevy is about $3k, with about equal life spans and about a third the down time for the Chevy and better performance in general.

I was thinking the replacement costs for the 4.3 (even though we don't use them anymore) was around $1500.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Had an old 500 that rolled over a million miles one day I had it. I can only imagine how many miles that thing had put in it.