One more.....

Discussion in 'The Archives' started by johnny_b, Sep 30, 2003.

1. johnny_b

johnny_b Guest

I can't help it.

"LABORER"

I went to college for a BS in computer science. Grades got me, but I earned 80% of the hours I needed and got an AA and an AS.

So one day I hear that a TSG position is available. At this time, I had my letter in, my full-time supervisor signed the sheet saying that I was good for the job. That sheet, my cover letter, and my resume, all came back with "LABORER" written on them at least three times.

I love UPS. I think it does a wonderful job at being Santa Claus and all. But this stuff is just stupid.

If anything, the people that get the work done, and the biggest reason I am not a supervisor is because I get the work done, are people that should be thought of as better than laborers.

(Message edited by johnny_b on September 30, 2003)

2. deliver_man

deliver_man Guest

I'm rather proud to be a laborer.....but that's just me [​IMG]

3. dannyboy

dannyboy Guest

Nothing wrong with working hard for a living. FAct is, there IS a pride in doing a job well. And honest work never killed anyone;)

d

4. johnny_b

johnny_b Guest

I don't mind being called a laborer, but I just hate being put down (ie not being allowed to interview for a job) because of it.

5. tieguy

tieguy Guest

To be perfectly honest I don't know if I've found a term that adequately represents your jobs. I have always thought terms such as laborer or hourly were demeaning. I think service provider is too cutsey. Driver does not cover everything you folks do.

6. dammor

dammor Guest

We are the front line of UPS. Some go down, but there are many ranks behind us. Find a tree to get behind. [​IMG]

7. rd0127

rd0127 Guest

"I went to college for a BS in computer science. Grades got me, but I earned 80% of the hours I needed and got an AA and an AS."

Johnny b, go back to school and get that BS. It will make a world of difference in your chances of promotion into management. UPS is a different company today (years ago a degree didn't matter as long as you were a hard worker, this is definitely not so today), you will need that degree if you want that promotion. JMHO