ORION!!! What a mess...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They refuse to get on my truck for an OJS ride. My supervisor tells me that he is not wasting 3 days for a "dog and pony show" with me. I guess that means I do everything by the book and I lose stops on every route that I get an OJS ride on. Only if everyone in our center would work like that, it would force more routes in everyday.

Actually what would force more routes to be in would be for everyone to say I want my 8 hours. Everyday instead of going home. I'm as guilty as anyone of taking a day off but this is one thing we control that can force routes to be in.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Actually what would force more routes to be in would be for everyone to say I want my 8 hours. Everyday instead of going home. I'm as guilty as anyone of taking a day off but this is one thing we control that can force routes to be in.

Never work, they will just offer someone else the day off and they will take it. I understand what you are saying but this a fight we wont win.

raceanoncr

Just heard this yesterday (Sep. 5) that HERE, the company called back as "Consultants", already retired manglers to handle this latest "flavor of the month".

Driver friend of mine witnessed an old feeder mangler that's been retired longer than me (3 yrs) walking in building. Asked what's going on. Said, locally, about 5 have been called back.

Productive, yes?

oldngray

nowhere special
Just heard this yesterday (Sep. 5) that HERE, the company called back as "Consultants", already retired manglers to handle this latest "flavor of the month".

Driver friend of mine witnessed an old feeder mangler that's been retired longer than me (3 yrs) walking in building. Asked what's going on. Said, locally, about 5 have been called back.

Productive, yes?

They are probably less clueless than the current ones. At least they may have been away long enough for some of the brain washing to wear off.

barnyard

KTM rider
Our area has seen a huge increase in hit while parked. We have been told that selection per the methods, should take less than 9 seconds. That is not possible with Orion.

oldngray

nowhere special
Our area has seen a huge increase in hit while parked. We have been told that selection per the methods, should take less than 9 seconds. That is not possible with Orion.

Another bogus made up number. That was probably the allowance when the select section was first 2 feet on shelf so of course no more time was added for digging through load. Just another reason to not worry about their numbers.

barnyard

KTM rider
Another bogus made up number. That was probably the allowance when the select section was first 2 feet on shelf so of course no more time was added for digging through load. Just another reason to not worry about their numbers.

If you are delivering in order and sliding packages up to the 30 inch selection area, less than 9 seconds is very doable. When delivering way out of order, it is not possible. Cannot slide section 8 into section 4 if all of section 4 is still there.

Even if 9 seconds is bogus, spending a lot of time looking for packages is also a safety issue.

The idea behind Orion makes sense and I used to think that maybe it would be useful. Now, I am not seeing it. I have been covering the same route this week. Pretty much an all resi route, the route is run based on where the NDA for the day are. Usually, that means delivering a bit out of section 8, some out of 6, usually not getting till section 1 till after break.

Yesterday, I had no NDA and I delivered in EDD order. The stops flew off. No digging, no looking, slide packages ahead, minor fine sort and away we go.

Usually when I cover this route, I am -.5. Yesterday, I was -2.0. That is a pretty big effen difference. No running, took all my break and had to drive off trace to get it.

Yesterday's experience has me rethinking the wisdom of even looking for other packages when I am doing NDA. Maybe on an all resi route, it is just smarter to deliver NDA and go back and start at section 1. Seems counter-intuitive, but a 1.5 hour difference is huge and I am sure that looking for packages is 100% of the difference. 2 sec selection vs 15-30 second selection over 160 stops adds up.

rudy5150

Orion will never work! Loaders don't have enough time to do a good job inside their trucks. Management knows how to fix the problem. They are too worried about preload numbers instead of how much time drivers spend sorting through there trucks everyday. So lets step over a dollar to save a dime. Imagine the profits UPS could have!

didyousheetit

Orion will never work! Loaders don't have enough time to do a good job inside their trucks. Management knows how to fix the problem. They are too worried about preload numbers instead of how much time drivers spend sorting through there trucks everyday. So lets step over a dollar to save a dime. Imagine the profits UPS could have!
Just so you know they will be starting to loading routes in the order of Orion at least in our center, in early 2014