ORS salary vs. FSP hourly pay rate

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
AnmGd0Z.gif

8000Shelf

You also forgot to factor in you PAYING for your crappy healthcare plan while the company pays ours...and my deductible is only $100. Now factor in the pension. U mad bro?

What about the less vacation time, having to come in on Saturday and lack of job protection to boot.

DaveA

Management gets the same vacation time and gets it sooner, actually. Management = 5 years for 3 weeks, 10 years for 4 weeks, 20 years for 5 weeks, 25 years for 6 weeks.

My building has forced drivers in on Saturday and Sunday. The argument about not having to come in for Saturday is incorrect. Plenty of job protection. If you don't steal or have an ethics issues, you are not going to get fired as a supervisor. I have been with the company 15 years and can speak matter of factly about this.

While I agree it's not right that an ORS makes less than the person they are supervising, you pretty much know that going in. Make an informed decision. When a new driver asks me about going into supervision, I'm honest with them and tell them the good and bad. I encourage them to talk to the teamsters about it, including the shop steward. I tell them that if they can be talked out of it by anyone, then it truly isn't the job for them. Talk to family, friends, management, teamsters, and make an informed decision. If they do all that, they should have a good idea of what they are getting into.

While everyone talks about the negative to management, lets talk about the positive. And these are my reasons for going into management.

1) 401k match
2) UPS managing my pension versus teamsters. This was a big part of my decision to switch. UPS knows how to manage money. I do realize the pension isn't available to new/younger supervisors.
3) No union dues
4) Tuition reimbursement
5) Brain over brawn. Not to imply drivers don't have to think. They do - and lots of it. For me, this is more in reference to the wear and tear on my body over 30 years of employment. I wanted no part of it. Sure, I occasionally have to pull a route. I want to say three times so far this year. And at 6pm each night, the remainder of my work and pickups was distributed to nearby drivers - as it should be. We may work a 60 hour week but it's not 60 hours of physical work and manual labor. As soon as a driver clocks in he is doing manual labor for the next 10 hours.
6) Sky is the limit for me. You all talk about ORS versus FSP salary. How about CEO versus FSP salary? Because that's how far I can go in the company, whereas FSP is essentially topping out as a feeder driver.
7) Getting out early to go to my kids game. Going in late to go to my kids 'thing' at school. I do this a good dozen times a year without issue.
8) No wait for 'full rate'. If someone starts with the company today and gets promoted to ORS within 6 months, they are at the highest supervisor pay grade for operations. You can argue it does not happen but I would tell you it does. I have seen several just in the past few years.

There are lots of negatives to management. Most have been discussed already. Lets just not forget about the positives. I have seen new drivers leave after a few months because the allure of $100k a year (after a 4 year wait) with 60 hours a week of manual labor does not appeal to them. It didn't appeal to me either. There's more to life than money. I'm okay making 5 or 10% less in exchange for significantly less wear on my body.

I get you can argue 'you have to pay for health care' and 'my union does are my healthcare costs', etc etc etc. Again, do the research and make an informed decision. Management isn't for everyone. No argument there.

Last edited:

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Management gets the same vacation time and gets it sooner, actually. Management = 5 years for 3 weeks, 10 years for 4 weeks, 20 years for 5 weeks, 25 years for 6 weeks.

My building has forced drivers in on Saturday and Sunday. The argument about not having to come in for Saturday is incorrect. Plenty of job protection. If you don't steal or have an ethics issues, you are not going to get fired as a supervisor. I have been with the company 15 years and can speak matter of factly about this.

While I agree it's not right that an ORS makes less than the person they are supervising, you pretty much know that going in. Make an informed decision. When a new driver asks me about going into supervision, I'm honest with them and tell them the good and bad. I encourage them to talk to the teamsters about it, including the shop steward. I tell them that if they can be talked out of it by anyone, then it truly isn't the job for them. Talk to family, friends, management, teamsters, and make an informed decision. If they do all that, they should have a good idea of what they are getting into.

While everyone talks about the negative to management, lets talk about the positive. And these are my reasons for going into management.

1) 401k match
2) UPS managing my pension versus teamsters. This was a big part of my decision to switch. UPS knows how to manage money. I do realize the pension isn't available to new/younger supervisors.
3) No union dues
4) Tuition reimbursement
5) Brain over brawn. Not to imply drivers don't have to think. They do - and lots of it. For me, this is more in reference to the wear and tear on my body over 30 years of employment. I wanted no part of it. Sure, I occasionally have to pull a route. I want to say three times so far this year. And at 6pm each night, the remainder of my work and pickups was distributed to nearby drivers - as it should be. We may work a 60 hour week but it's not 60 hours of physical work and manual labor. As soon as a driver clocks in he is doing manual labor for the next 10 hours.
6) Sky is the limit for me. You all talk about ORS versus FSP salary. How about CEO versus FSP salary? Because that's how far I can go in the company, whereas FSP is essentially topping out as a feeder driver.
7) Getting out early to go to my kids game. Going in late to go to my kids 'thing' at school. I do this a good dozen times a year without issue.
8) No wait for 'full rate'. If someone starts with the company today and gets promoted to ORS within 6 months, they are at the highest supervisor pay grade for operations. You can argue it does not happen but I would tell you it does. I have seen several just in the past few years.

There are lots of negatives to management. Most have been discussed already. Lets just not forget about the positives. I have seen new drivers leave after a few months because the allure of $100k a year (after a 4 year wait) with 60 hours a week of manual labor does not appeal to them. It didn't appeal to me either. There's more to life than money. I'm okay making 5 or 10% less in exchange for significantly less wear on my body.

I get you can argue 'you have to pay for health care' and 'my union does are my healthcare costs', etc etc etc. Again, do the research and make an informed decision. Management isn't for everyone. No argument there.

One problem.

They don't want drivers as sups anymore.

I have bad knees. Have my whole life.

I can not get promoted if I wanted to.

I don't have a degree and fsp is the only position at ups that isn't offered tuition reimbursement.

Our last three ors promotions were pt preload sups to ors simply because they had degrees. Only one had a bussiness degree.

Even had a 10 year fsp with an accounting degree passed over in favor of a 6 month pt sup with an MBA who is our worst sup.

There are no more partners only reporting printing ad reading drones

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed

1) 401k match
3) No union dues
4) Tuition reimbursement

You were never a driver yet you're making comparisons, how cute

DaveA

You were never a driver yet you're making comparisons, how cute

You're making assumptions which discredits you. However, fwiw, I was a driver and a damn good one for six months. I learned several routes and this was just over 10 years ago and prior to PAS. It was more than enough time for me to decide that driving was not something I wanted to do for the next 30 years. You can go ahead and make your jokes about six months being a, well, joke. I'm good with it. I have trained enough casuals, many of whom have been given permanent jobs thanks to their quality training, to not be too concerned about your thoughts or comments.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
You're making assumptions which discredits you. However, fwiw, I was a driver and a damn good one for six months. I learned several routes and this was just over 10 years ago and prior to PAS. It was more than enough time for me to decide that driving was not something I wanted to do for the next 30 years. You can go ahead and make your jokes about six months being a, well, joke. I'm good with it. I have trained enough casuals, many of whom have been given permanent jobs thanks to their quality training, to not be too concerned about your thoughts or comments.
Not making assumptions jack wagon. Going off your other posts here.

Lying now or lying then?

Bye

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed

Here's a quote of a post from 2013 Dave. 6 monts driving or several years?

I have worked at UPS over 10 years, several of which were driving, including now. I applied online for a pt FedEx express courier job. They would be nuts not to nab me, right? I'm close to Boston and there seems to be a good number of jobs. How long does a callback take usually? Should I call to express my interest? My intent is to leave UPS. Thanks.

8000Shelf

1) 401k match
3) No union dues
4) Tuition reimbursement

Ummm actually I had 3 weeks of vacations my third year, 4 weeks my eighth year, 5 weeks my

fifteenth year, 6 my twentieth year and 7 my twenty fifth.

Typical supervisor post and attitude though... Don't want to do the hard work and know everything.

6 months as a driver lol, with the supervisor dispatch also. I've turned down several chances

to become a supervisor, mainly because I can't stand the arrogance of you people.

DaveA

Not making assumptions jack wagon. Going off your other posts here.

Lying now or lying then?

Bye

Neither. I have no problem including my time as on onroad as years of driving. I have probably trained upwards of 100 drivers on more route than you will do in your entire career.

DaveA

Ummm actually I had 3 weeks of vacations my third year, 4 weeks my eighth year, 5 weeks my

Typical supervisor post and attitude though... Don't want to do the hard work and know everything.

6 months as a driver lol, with the supervisor dispatch also. I've turned down several chances

to become a supervisor, mainly because I can't stand the arrogance of you people.

Sure, if you add in a conversion week. By that logic add a week to all my numbers too.

8000Shelf

Sure, if you add in a conversion week. By that logic add a week to all my numbers too.

You left that detail out of your original post. What other logic would you assume of me?

Well good for you. I'm sure your glad our union sets the standard for you full time supervisors on your pay on benefits, huh?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

No one with any brains over 30 wants to do the hard work!
Smarter not harder