Package car radios?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How many folks are still using car radios in the package cars? Management put the stop to this here, but I still see many drivers wiring up in the AM.

I would like to see the union work out a deal where the shop could wire an approved, fuse protected, safe, cigarette plug type power source. This could be used for radios, GPS, or cell phone recharge. Much safer than clips on the battery.

stink219

Here is you grievance:
Article 18
Section 8. Radios
Transistor radios will be allowed in package cars.

ARTICLE 6
Section 1. Extra Contract Agreements
Except as may be otherwise provided in this Agreement, the Employer agrees not to enter into, or attempt to enter into, any agreement or contract with its employees, either individually or collectively, or to require or attempt to require employees to sign any document, either individually or collectively, which in any way con- flicts with the provisions of this Agreement. Any such Agreement or document shall be null and void. Any such agreement or document may not be placed in an employee’s file or used by the Employer as a basis for discipline or used in connection with any disciplinary proceeding, nor may any such agreement or document nor the contents thereof be divulged to any person or entity.

ups hero

Ryobi makes great battery powered radios, you can get them from Home Depot. This is ideal if you have home tools that are ryobi. I'd recommend getting the lithium battery (thick version). It lasts a good 9 hrs or more with the radio.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Ryobi makes great battery powered radios, you can get them from Home Depot. This is ideal if you have home tools that are ryobi. I'd recommend getting the lithium battery (thick version). It lasts a good 9 hrs or more with the radio.

I have 2 ryobi radios. I bought a small one that you can sit on the dash and it gets GREAT Fm reception but the music quality is sub par. Then I bought the big job site radio who's Fm reception is suspect but the audio quality is MUCH better and I just have my Ipod hooked up to it and I bungee it to the bottom of the seat post, or in the newer PC's (with the black "bin" on the pass side) and just let her play all day long.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
With the car radio, I enjoyed AM radio with no batteries to worry about. The truck had a hot post under the dash which made for easy hook up. Why can't our trucks have a cigarette lighter power supply? [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Article 18 doesn't say anything about that.[/FONT]

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
It is funny how all the old timer carry around these Big ole boxes and huge batteries. Plus the ones that alligator clip into the aux lights. Times have changed old timers. I use my cell to stream with a 22 hour battery back up and a small speaker. Plenty of power and battery to last all day long.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I think that you would agree that the intent of the language would not include some of the boom boxes that we see in some of the package cars.

Why would it not include a boom box? Where do you see language that prohibits this sort of radio? I'm still looking, and I can't see the ban you are referring to.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It is funny how all the old timer carry around these Big ole boxes and huge batteries. Plus the ones that alligator clip into the aux lights. Times have changed old timers. I use my cell to stream with a 22 hour battery back up and a small speaker. Plenty of power and battery to last all day long.

If you wired it in to any hot wire, you never needed a battery. You missed this? Alligator clips and a boom box blasts you all day long. No cost at all.

QKRSTKR

I don't think you can wire a radio to the package car. Didn't somebody do that without a fuse and caught the car on fire? Thought I read that on here b4 . It should be like the tractors and have hook ups for radio/cb box. I don't think speakers would be applicable, but a power source would be nice.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Any electronic device has transistors. They are just a lot smaller than they were when the rule was written. We a not allowed to have radios in our cabs. Must be in cargo area. Whats the point? Cannot hear them. None of us bother. I miss my sirius.