Part time hourly guarantee confusion

I was always under the impression that part timers are allowed to work at least 3.5 hours, assuming they show up on time and don't go home voluntarily.

Article 22 section 5 of the national contract states:
All part-time employees governed by this Article shall be provided a minimum daily three and one half (3-1/2) hour guarantee."

However at the end of the contract there is a memorandum of understanding stating:
if a part-time employee completes his assigned duties and leaves work in less than three-and-one-half hours he shall be considered to have forfeited the right to his daily three-and-one-half hour guarantee. This shall not effect an employee’s right to a minimum three (3) hour daily guarantee.

This seems contradictory to me. Why does it say we have a 3.5 hour guarantee, and then say we have a minimum 3 hour guarantee.

Could someone explain this to me?

UPSBluRdg03

Not sure. My advice would be to stay in your work area until the work is done. If it is done and you are under 3.5 and the sup tells you to clock out. Tell them you need your 3.5 and he needs to find you something else to do to meet that.

Work right slow and safe

Not sure. My advice would be to stay in your work area until the work is done. If it is done and you are under 3.5 and the sup tells you to clock out. Tell them you need your 3.5 and he needs to find you something else to do to meet that.

+1 This is what I do they will give you some bs job that you will not like to do so you wil take off stay it will get better

Kae3106

It depends on your job. I've seen some job functions where a 3.0 hour guarantee is correct. Check your local contract rider.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I believe that is intended to mean if you leave voluntarily, but I could be wrong. Is that in the NM or a supplemant, the supplement language always supercedes the NM so read it thru to see if the guarantee is covered in it.

JonFrum

I believe that is intended to mean if you leave voluntarily, but I could be wrong. Is that in the NM or a supplemant, the supplement language always supercedes the NM so read it thru to see if the guarantee is covered in it.
Sometimes the Supplement supercedes the Master, other times the Master supercedes the Supplement. Depends on the language.

Dark_Team_135

However at the end of the contract there is a memorandum of understanding stating:
if a part-time employee completes his assigned duties and leaves work in less than three-and-one-half hours he shall be considered to have forfeited the right to his daily three-and-one-half hour guarantee. This shall not effect an employee’s right to a minimum three (3) hour daily guarantee.

I have been trying to get my BA to call the IBT and find out exactly what this means for months with no luck. Can someone on here with a BA that will actually take the time to find out what this language means, do us all a favor and ask him/her to investigate it and post the answer here?

Also, ask them exactly who they got the information from when they come up with it...

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I was always under the impression that part timers are allowed to work at least 3.5 hours, assuming they show up on time and don't go home voluntarily.

Article 22 section 5 of the national contract states:
All part-time employees governed by this Article shall be provided a minimum daily three and one half (3-1/2) hour guarantee."

This seems contradictory to me. Why does it say we have a 3.5 hour guarantee, and then say we have a minimum 3 hour guarantee.

Could someone explain this to me?

Please see my posts on the " Part time Holiday Pay/3/12 hour" thread from the middle of December .It explains the guarantee and the memorandum of understanding.