Part Timers, 5.5 hrs vs get your job done

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
The problem with some hourlys is that they do everything right at first, always show up and are on time, have a positive attitude, work hard.. But then they get to know the company a bit and realize that after the 30 days they can do whatever they want with very little or no consequence. I'm an hourly and I haven't missed a day of work in about a half year. The other day I went up to my sup and was like do you know why I haven't had an occurance in 7 months? He said no why and I told him I'll be taking two days a month off from April to September so I can play golf. It was funny but he knows there will absolutely be no consequence.

So 12 days off in a matter of 6 months after your cavalier 'declaration' to management? You must work for some true nitwits if you believe that you are magically untouchable and can do what you want.

5 of those will be personal days I assume? Does your local have sick days? Did you plan on using these? If they are just call-in's, you would be fired by the time June got around if you worked for me, especially after you puffed your chest about it.

Furthermore, attendance is the easiest thing to sling disciplinary action on....so I'm a little confused as to how you are so assured you are 'safe'. Your record of the past 7 months does not give you the authority to claim 12 extra days off.

You must have it so nice working for management people who are invertebrates and have no knowledge of progressive disciplinary action.....

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm trying to fool someone? You agree with this delusional employee who thinks he runs the show and takes whatever days off he feels like?
I don't know about anyone else, but I receive personal and sick days for a reason and they aren't to bank up and be paid off at the end of the year.

"occurrences" are wiped after 9 months, so no, the person is not delusional and in fact on the money. By maintaining a clean record, they can't be touched by you or anyone for attendance nonsense (which is simply a cover for your personal control issues, i.e. someone else having control and your discomfort dealing with it)

The only delusions are supervisors (and occasionally "management") who come on here and think it's still UPS and that they're superior. It's part of a twisted mentality.

TxRoadDawg

I don't know about anyone else, but I receive personal and sick days for a reason and they aren't to bank up and be paid off at the end of the year.

"occurrences" are wiped after 9 months, so no, the person is not delusional and in fact on the money. By maintaining a clean record, they can't be touched by you or anyone for attendance nonsense (which is simply a cover for your personal control issues, i.e. someone else having control and your discomfort dealing with it)

The only delusions are supervisors (and occasionally "management") who come on here and think it's still UPS and that they're superior. It's part of a twisted mentality.
I dont call attendance nonsense, tho personally my way of solving it has always been shove the rest of the work on those around whoever didnt show up, and let the co workers deal with it themselves. saves me the hassle of doing hourly work and everyone knows exactly who to blame.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
He never said he was using sick days....he never said he was using optional days.....I am fully aware that nothing can be done if people use optional days and sick days. I was never talking about that. I could give a rats ass if people are using all of their days. That's their right.

But he never said he was using them. He just said he was taking 12 days off, and that nobody would do anything. I am not delusional in saying that is incorrect, nor am I acting 'superior'. I can only work with the information provided, and I had asked him about sick and personal days in another post since he did not state that he was using these.

Sleeve, your bad experiences with the management around you doesn't mean we're all 'bad guys'..... you make a lot of curious assumptions about me that are baseless, and just make you seem extremely butt-hurt about something....I haven't disrespected you on here as of yet, but if that's where you want to take it........

Catatonic

Nine Lives
He never said he was using sick days....he never said he was using optional days.....I am fully aware that nothing can be done if people use optional days and sick days. I was never talking about that. I could give a rats ass if people are using all of their days. That's their right.

But he never said he was using them. He just said he was taking 12 days off, and that nobody would do anything. I am not delusional in saying that is incorrect, nor am I acting 'superior'. I can only work with the information provided, and I had asked him about sick and personal days in another post since he did not state that he was using these.

Sleeve, your bad experiences with the management around you doesn't mean we're all 'bad guys'..... you make a lot of curious assumptions about me that are baseless, and just make you seem extremely butt-hurt about something....I haven't disrespected you on here as of yet, but if that's where you want to take it........

Just don't say anything about him having sex with his sister ... that would not be appropriate!

UnconTROLLed

perfection

That's interesting. It seems you just assumed the worst in someone with your initial post, then? Am I right, you did make an assumption that the person didn't have days, or wasn't using them? Shame on you.

:D
So the irony is - your bad experiences with the hourlies around you doesn't mean we're all 'bad guys'....you make a lot of curious assumptions about hourlies that are baseless, and just make you seem extremely butt-hurt about something... yada...more ...'s....'s

Last edited:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Simple question since we are all salary. Would you rather finish your stuff and go versus being stuck for 5.5 hours a day doing whatever. After years of 2% raises only incentive I have to work faster is to leave sooner. Doesn't make any sense personally to bust everything out then get fed a line of 'well your done early, go help sluggo do their job' until your 5.5 is over. This ESPECIALLY after getting the weekly "NO UNAPPROVED EXTRA TIME" mantra. Personally I'd rather bust it out and leave myself and waste the spare time on what I enjoy doing:devil3:.

Waa waa....I hear the world's smallest violin playing for you...

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
That's interesting. It seems you just assumed the worst in someone with your initial post, then? Am I right, you did make an assumption that the person didn't have days, or wasn't using them. Shame on you.

So the irony is - your bad experiences with the hourlies around you doesn't mean we're all 'bad guys'....you make a lot of curious assumptions about hourlies that are baseless, and just make you seem extremely butt-hurt about something... yada...more ...'s....'s

Oh, that's right. You are the one who read in a book that "...'s" mean something.

Nevermind...

Dynomite

I don't know what your talking about LTC. I was a loader so that naturally means I was a hard worker. When I became a supervisor they put me in the inbounds and it was like a different planet. Unloaders are terrible. They can show up 3 days out of the week, we discipline them for it. They get the warning letter, grieve it and keep their job. Just to do the same thing 2-3 weeks later. Funny thing is they make us to be the bad guys for disciplining them when they were raised by ****ty parents that didn't teach them work ethic. I know I wouldn't have to work if my employee did what he is suppose to. The worse people are the 40+ year old pt's that do this. If you are 40 and have 0 work ethic you are a waste.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I don't know what your talking about LTC. I was a loader so that naturally means I was a hard worker. When I became a supervisor they put me in the inbounds and it was like a different planet. Unloaders are terrible. They can show up 3 days out of the week, we discipline them for it. They get the warning letter, grieve it and keep their job. Just to do the same thing 2-3 weeks later. Funny thing is they make us to be the bad guys for disciplining them when they were raised by ****ty parents that didn't teach them work ethic. I know I wouldn't have to work if my employee did what he is suppose to. The worse people are the 40+ year old pt's that do this. If you are 40 and have 0 work ethic you are a waste.
Some of this is probably true, however I would point out that "you get what you pay for". The minimum wage will soon be $9/hr (or so I have heard, anyway) and UPS/Teamsters don't want to pay that.

Simple question since we are all salary. Would you rather finish your stuff and go versus being stuck for 5.5 hours a day doing whatever. After years of 2% raises only incentive I have to work faster is to leave sooner. Doesn't make any sense personally to bust everything out then get fed a line of 'well your done early, go help sluggo do their job' until your 5.5 is over. This ESPECIALLY after getting the weekly "NO UNAPPROVED EXTRA TIME" mantra. Personally I'd rather bust it out and leave myself and waste the spare time on what I enjoy doing:devil3:.

Usually stayed until it gets done. Especially if the center manager "has your back". There was a while where I felt like I was getting abused by my direct supervisors and I didn't go very far out of my way to give a bunch of extra time and effort for nothing, but for the most part I "sucked it up" and got it done. I think the UPS system relies pretty heavily on management at all levels putting in the extra time and effort to get it done. As bad as 6-7 hours could be, there were always the 12+ hour days for driver supervisors and center managers that were pretty humbling (even if they DID get paid a lot better!)

I work over 5.5 every day and I get paid, fortunately my FT sup has my back. I would never work over 5.5 and only put 5.5 on my PTRS card, for one thing that's false documentation and there is no way I'm doing that, for another this company can afford to pay me for the time I spend there. The few weeks a year that we do get the "no PT sups over 5.5" decree, I get as much as I can get done in 5.5 a day and then I'm gone.

RolloTony Brown Town

I regularly go over 5.5 hours. Sometimes I get sent home early on a Wednesday or Thursday. Sometimes I work over 27.5 hours that week and get paid. At the end of the day I work the amount of hours necessary to get the job done. I don't know about many centers or hubs outside of my own, but most of the hourlies that work for me are good employees that do a difficult job for less than stellar pay. I understand that. If I see one of my guys in trouble, then I offer a demo to clean him up or give him a break. It goes a long way. Obviously there's always your ****bags shmucks who do the bare minimum and leave the rest on the table for their coworkers but for the most part the union is filled with hardworkers. I'm a pretty simple management guy. Show up everyday, on time, work safe, and do what I ask and it'll always be a smooth day. There doesn't have to be this animosity between the two sides.

curiousbrain

I regularly go over 5.5 hours. Sometimes I get sent home early on a Wednesday or Thursday. Sometimes I work over 27.5 hours that week and get paid. At the end of the day I work the amount of hours necessary to get the job done. I don't know about many centers or hubs outside of my own, but most of the hourlies that work for me are good employees that do a difficult job for less than stellar pay. I understand that. If I see one of my guys in trouble, then I offer a demo to clean him up or give him a break. It goes a long way. Obviously there's always your ****bags shmucks who do the bare minimum and leave the rest on the table for their coworkers but for the most part the union is filled with hardworkers. I'm a pretty simple management guy. Show up everyday, on time, work safe, and do what I ask and it'll always be a smooth day. There doesn't have to be this animosity between the two sides.

Agreed.

Skooney

LTC, you're a real gem. However, you don't fool anyone with your "boss" nonsense.

He is sup. Hear him roar. Lol.

Honestly, sups actually think they have the ability to do this. The bottom line is, the full time sups, nor their managers want to deal with the paper trail or do the work. Much less, none of them want to sit in a panel, and UPS doesn't want to pay for arbitration. I've seen it first hand with an employee that was caught sleeping 7 times - it took the 8th time and him lying before he was told no more. Our center barely keeps track of it's attendance. We had a driver that called in sick every Friday for over 7 months because he was out doing a stand up comedy gig every Thursday night. He finally no call no showed a couple times and they bagged him.

It's just the way it is - the quality of work and employees is a direct reflection on the environment they work in.

Attitude reflects leadership.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
There is no 'thinking' involved. It is quite easy to write people up for attendance, and it requires less of a paper trail than most other types of discipline. Just because you work with lazy management people doesn't mean that we don't have the ability....

I'm not puffing my chest here......it's a simple fact. But you are not incorrect, either. Many supervisors and managers don't deserve the positions that they hold. They are an embarrassment.