PAS/EDD

Overpaid Union Thug

Big--keep in mind that this was done prior to the implementation of EDD. I would also be hard pressed to get them to make wholesale changes at this point.

Well, they didn't really except much feedback from the drivers prior to, during, or after the implementation here. Only a select bunch of drivers were able to sit down and make their routes perfect and even some of them didn't get what they wanted. IE came back and changed the DOLs back to the way they had them. Pure arrogance if you ask me. Most of the problems we have now can be fixed but it isn't getting done. I gave up on trying to fix things about a year ago it seems. Now I just go with the flow. During peak I have to run the areas just as trace dictates no matter how ridiculous it is because I can't skip over stops on a route that is stuffed with packages.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Your loader still can make you or break you. I've had loaders whose loads are tight and almost follow EDD stop for stop. With other loaders, every delivery is a search and rescue attempt. But whether you have a good or bad loader, time is wasted looking for a package EDD says you have but just isn't there.
:dissapointed:This is sounding all to familiar.:dissapointed:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
.......................................................... One point that has not been mentioned is how easily and quickly you can find a pkg if a consignee stops you on road or if you happen to see a consignee that you know you have a pkg for. For example, I was at WalMart and one of my neighbors asked me if I had a pkg for him. I simply scrolled down through EDD, saw that he did, located it and handed it to him. Less than a minute, one less stop and another happy shopper. I also use PAS to see if I have stops that I can indirect at another stop. For example, I have a screen print shop who also live on my area so I will check to see if they have any personal pkgs and will indirect to them if they do.
I have already used this and it is very nice.

New Englander

Big--keep in mind that this was done prior to the implementation of EDD. I would also be hard pressed to get them to make wholesale changes at this point.

We were absolutely told to put the time in while they were there. That after they left it would feel near impossible!

The ones that did put the time in don't cry every morning, the one;s that didn't????

Overpaid Union Thug

We were absolutely told to put the time in while they were there. That after they left it would feel near impossible!

The ones that did put the time in don't cry every morning, the one;s that didn't????

Here most of the ones that did (the select few the PAS/EDD team actually pretended to listen to) and the ones that didn't are both both "crying." We were told that errors could be fixed but two years out most of them haven't been fixed. It's not because they can't either. That is a straight lie.

New Englander

Here most of the ones that did (the select few the PAS/EDD team actually pretended to listen to) and the ones that didn't are both both "crying." We were told that errors could be fixed but two years out most of them haven't been fixed. It's not because they can't either. That is a straight lie.

Your right we were told they won't get fixed because of the time involved.
The simple fact that they do not want to invest the time after they leave.

We were told all this upfront. Some thought it was a joke to get them to work harder on it so management didn't.

Funny thing was ------ they were not joking.

DenverBrownDotCom

PAS has/had all the potential in the world. Without the DOL's being finished by IE there are still a lot of problems. The good thing is the acurate counts, and knowing how many packages to a stop. Still the pre-load is the key to success or failure. The trouble is we've moved on to Telematics, and the changes will be huge as to the effectiveness of PAS. Without the correction of the DOL and with the push to stay on trace, some routes will get very interesting.

brownrodster

Has the PAS system solved anything? There just is no substitute for a driver's area knowledge. The implementation of the program goes hundreds of thousands of dollars over budget. Not to mention costs of stickers, computer upkeep, spa personnel, etc..Anyway the mom and pop business don't get serviced or get delivered and picked up very late. The system proves they don't matter to us. Loads change on a daily basis, changed by people who have never driven, managed, or are fresh out of college. A microcosm of what is wrong with this system is shown in this short story. The other day I saw a driver confront the PAS manager. 3 service providers were delivering on the same street. That street had 3 houses on it and was at best 50 yards long. The driver wanted to make his day more efficient because he had to drive 8 miles out of his way for this one particular delivery. He was told not to cause trouble. Managerial incompatence is guaranted overtime.

Sounds like easy money to me. Who cares if their system doesn't work right? I just deliver what they put on my truck.

Sorry, I don't know what it's like. We had a couple IE jokers working on putting PAS in our building. But after about 6 months of work they sent those IE guys elsewhere and told us they could not afford to put PAS in our center.

They actually did sit down with most drivers. They talked to many cover drivers who had a lot of area knowledge. Our center manager seemed pretty gung ho about implementing PAS properly. He seemed like he wanted to take the time and do it correctly. Maybe that's why they abandoned the idea... ?

Last edited:

GUTHREE

Mrs. Smooth
Has the PAS system solved anything? There just is no substitute for a driver's area knowledge. The implementation of the program goes hundreds of thousands of dollars over budget. Not to mention costs of stickers, computer upkeep, spa personnel, etc..Anyway the mom and pop business don't get serviced or get delivered and picked up very late. The system proves they don't matter to us. Loads change on a daily basis, changed by people who have never driven, managed, or are fresh out of college.

i was one of the chosen ones who had to have a lock in. it was proven that running it in trace jacked the miles up and you would run over. certain people would not listen to driver's input, and just set it up there own way. i don't know what driver thinks that driving past stops and then coming back to deliver them establishes anything. we look dumb to our customers who might be waiting on stuff. if i'm there, i'm getting it. call me lazy if you want, but i don't wanna come back. and don't get me started on the add/cut hell we're in. i don't mind extra work, at all, but do you have to shove 100 stops in one section and the leave the other shelf empty? does pas really work? it could be so great. maybe our pds people need some more training, what ya think.. million dollar system, $5 training class.

GUTHREE

Mrs. Smooth
anybody know about special counts? a, b, c, d, e? they are there, and what are they for. nobody seems to know here, or just won't say. i think some are for over 70's, unscheduled pickup, anybody?

Arty S.

As a utiity driver I think PAS helps me much more than it hurts.

Before, running routes you didn't know was extremely difficult. You didn't know the area. You didn't know what you had on car. You didn't know what order to run those stops. Yes, you could work through shelves 1000 through 8000 but there were a lot of custom loads, splits, etc.

Now, you know every package on car and what order (UPS wants you) to do them in.

I used to lose time lining up shelves (with map in hand) and prerecording stops as a shortcut to limited area knowledge and brick loads, and hope that nothing had been cross shelved by preload, or loads transferred during driving.

For route drivers with a quality preloader the difference may not be as significant, but for those of us who average 3 to 4 routes a week I definitely appreciate it, despite its imperfections. I just wish that the people doing dispatch actually knew what they were pointing and clicking on when they do add/cuts.