Paying people extra to show up for a week straight. BS!

Overpaid Union Thug

I haven't been around forever, but at my hub I talked to a loader who says that he gets paid 100 extra dollars a check as long as he showed up for that entire week. Is this not BS? It is my understanding that he has attendance issues, but is this seriously okay to do? I feel a bit jipped. I do my part, and so does he. He isn't a bad worker by any other means actually, just calls off sometimes. It's just that he makes time.5 just for going to work and working regular hours now, and I also understand this is going to go on for months. He is not the only one either. I have a pending grievance that is almost a year old now, they cant pay me a few dollars, but they pay what end up being sub-par loaders [the above is the exception] much more money than someone who has been there for years part-time. A hundred dollars can make or break someones standard of living. WHYYYYY?

What do you guys think?

Sounds like an Article 6 Grievance (Extra Contract Agreement) to me. The hub I started in used to have retention bonuses that were given well after employees had made book but were approved by the local union.

Yes, I asked the loader today, and he confirmed everything I had suspected so tomorrow I will be speaking with my steward. I will post anything useful that I hear back here so perhaps someone else might benefit. I'm just worried that it was approved the union.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I haven't been around forever, but at my hub I talked to a loader who says that he gets paid 100 extra dollars a check as long as he showed up for that entire week. Is this not BS? It is my understanding that he has attendance issues, but is this seriously okay to do? I feel a bit jipped. I do my part, and so does he. He isn't a bad worker by any other means actually, just calls off sometimes. It's just that he makes time.5 just for going to work and working regular hours now, and I also understand this is going to go on for months. He is not the only one either. I have a pending grievance that is almost a year old now, they cant pay me a few dollars, but they pay what end up being sub-par loaders [the above is the exception] much more money than someone who has been there for years part-time. A hundred dollars can make or break someones standard of living. WHYYYYY?

What do you guys think?
Can you really load over 9000?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sounds like BS to me. Have you actually seen it on this guy's check? Maybe he's the type of guy that doesn't realize he's actually making an extra $100 by working an entire week.

A negotiated attendance bonus would have to apply to all part-timers in a facility. We had it on the midnight sort long before I was hired and the local discontinued it as the company refused to offer it to the other sorts. Any type of "bonus" offered to "at risk" employees to encourage them to come to work is a side agreement and thus null and void unless the union specifically agreed to it.

Unless there's more mules than people in your town, UPS would much rather fire a part-timer and hire a new one for $10/hour (~$200/week pre-tax) than give him a 33% bonus just for coming to work.
It is not BS...our hub does the same thing. $100/week to newly hired part-timers who show up every day for a week.
Oops, I should have read the rest of the responses.

Deemster

We just had a new hire fail to show up lastnight. Now that I think about it. In the 4 years I've worked on my dock, I have seen every single new hire quit except for one. And we get a handful every quarter

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We just had a new hire fail to show up lastnight. Now that I think about it. In the 4 years I've worked on my dock, I have seen every single new hire quit except for one. And we get a handful every quarter
None of the guys I worked with on the sort when I was hired are still at UPS. I was thinking about that the other night. Only 2 of the 10 guys on my sort have been there for peak too.

RealPerson

Why work at UPS for $10 in extreme conditions? Hot, Cold, Wet, Yelled at, More physical than most jobs, so on so on. When Retail and fast food is paying $9 with raises.

hyena

Why work at UPS for $10 in extreme conditions? Hot, Cold, Wet, Yelled at, More physical than most jobs, so on so on. When Retail and fast food is paying $9 with raises.
To get get full time and make way more after 4 years then you'll ever make in retail

cardboard-surfer

I'd never believe the bonus talk...just like the shift sup promised every new hire during Peak last year they could get a dollar an hour skilled-worker increase if they learned the sort. It was all the old-school management tease "if you work hard there are bonuses and rewards" crap. I was talking with him a month later about it and his face said, "Wow you actually believed I'd do that?". He never intended to give out a penny extra.

hyena

It's a different world now. I worked 9 years preload to get to a driver, now people quit jobs as soon as the wind changes directions. That's scary for the future if UPS.
I hear you bro it took me about the same but it's still worth it, keep your eyes on the money

T

Turdferguson

I hear you bro it took me about the same but it's still worth it, keep your eyes on the money
drivethru.gif

hyena

It
No doubt brother!!! [emoji6]
s funny how a lot of people say a lot of bad stuff about UPS, and I go through all the crap too but I love it, and I'm glad I'm here ultimately , I mean your gonna have :censored2: everywhere you go, but at least I get paid good to deal with it, not always fair but that's life. Nothing's ever been handed to me

Anthonysg0113

It

s funny how a lot of people say a lot of bad stuff about UPS, and I go through all the crap too but I love it, and I'm glad I'm here ultimately , I mean your gonna have :censored2: everywhere you go, but at least I get paid good to deal with it, not always fair but that's life. Nothing's ever been handed to me
And it's a job for life. I'm glad I stayed too. I love it also.

T

Turdferguson

It

giphy.gif

Deemster

As an old head part-timer on on my dock says. UPS pays minimum wage, everything else is extra pay to put up with the minute by minute bull:censored2: