Peak Miscalculation

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A safe driver would never get out of the seat with just the e-brake on. You should cut the vehicle off, put vehicle in the lowest forward gear and apply the e-brake.
Try telling the DOT that you are only using an e-brake to secure an unattended vehicle ... that could be interesting.

Ahem, you should also turn your wheels :)

FedExer267

If they instruct you to drive a truck with a broken or malfunctioning e-brake, call the DOT after you leave the building to meet you on road
Oh believe me I would call DOT in a heartbeat and I have done it before on my Contractor. The unfortunate thing is that these are the contractors vehicles not FedEx so all you ever hear is I will get to it. Atleast FedEx has mehcanics we have contractors that do the work themselves to save money. I will not drive a deathtrap.
Hoaxster just so you know when I get to a stop truck is off, keys are in my hand, truck is in first gear,e-brake oh sorry bbsam hand brake is on, and flashers are on. However I am one, There are alot of guys out their that don't and those are the ones who end up with problems

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Since when did a Ground driver have to time to safely stop and secure a vehicle??!! All the ones I see here are so busy driving around with the cab wide open, smoking, talking on the phone and not wearing a seatbelt that I thought I minor oversight like stopping was just that, an oversight?

I know it's not all the Ground guys that behave this way, but man, those bad apples give anyone in a FredEx uniform a bad name!

FedExer267

Since when did a Ground driver have to time to safely stop and secure a vehicle??!! All the ones I see here are so busy driving around with the cab wide open, smoking, talking on the phone and not wearing a seatbelt that I thought I minor oversight like stopping was just that, an oversight?

I know it's not all the Ground guys that behave this way, but man, those bad apples give anyone in a FredEx uniform a bad name!

I know there are alot of guys like that probally 80%. There are a few good drivers far and few in between but thats what they get when they offer peanuts. The rest of us are doing what we need to to take care of the family. If this job market ever picks up you will see the good ground drivers leaving one by one.

DorkHead

Oh believe me I would call DOT in a heartbeat and I have done it before on my Contractor. The unfortunate thing is that these are the contractors vehicles not FedEx so all you ever hear is I will get to it. Atleast FedEx has mehcanics we have contractors that do the work themselves to save money. I will not drive a deathtrap.
Hoaxster just so you know when I get to a stop truck is off, keys are in my hand, truck is in first gear,e-brake oh sorry bbsam hand brake is on, and flashers are on. However I am one, There are alot of guys out their that don't and those are the ones who end up with problems
So then wouldn`t the contractor be forced to fix this? If not, would the contractor be fined? Would the car be taken out of service? I mean if the car isn`t out there making the contractor money, it will have to be fixed or a replacement made available for you to use, right?

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I know there are alot of guys like that probally 80%. There are a few good drivers far and few in between but thats what they get when they offer peanuts. The rest of us are doing what we need to to take care of the family. If this job market ever picks up you will see the good ground drivers leaving one by one.

Yessirree buddy! There are a couple of really efficient, presentable, friendly and knowledgable Ground guys around here, but like I said...it only takes one to screw it up for everyone!

FedExer267

So then wouldn`t the contractor be forced to fix this? If not, would the contractor be fined? Would the car be taken out of service? I mean if the car isn`t out there making the contractor money, it will have to be fixed or a replacement made available for you to use, right?
Thats how you get them to fix the problem. I have told my contractor if the truck is not up to snuff he can come drive my route. I have sat in the building and refused to leave until he shows up with a rental. I will not risk the safety of myself or others because he is to cheap to do the right thing. I have one goal everyday and that is making it home to my children.
Ground drivers already get treated like crap, atleast they can do is make sure their equipment is safe, no ones safety is worth delivering a box. Sometimes a call and a fine by the DOT will wake them up for awhile.