Pensions...We all saw this coming.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What we need is growth. More and more employees adding to the kitty. Hard to grow with a tax and spend government with a welfare mentality.

bbsam

Staff member
By the way, remember when Governor Walker in Wisconsin was going after public sector unions and people were certain it would be limited to public sector unions? We might want to rethink that.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
By the way, remember when Governor Walker in Wisconsin was going after public sector unions and people were certain it would be limited to public sector unions? We might want to rethink that.
Only the blind and the kool aid drinkers believed it would be limited.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Our problem is 5000 more retirees than actives and companies pulling out of our plan and offering a 401k rather than a DBPP.
That shouldn't be a problem at all. Current retirees should be pulling out from the money put in for them. Not money put in for current employees.

The problem was over promising to previous employees when enough money for those promises to be kept was not coming in.

ski or die

Ski or Die
What we need is growth. More and more employees adding to the kitty. Hard to grow with a tax and spend government with a welfare mentality.
UPS contributes pension for part time employees. It would be interesting to know how many of them actually work until they are able to retire and draw a pension. Quite a few use UPS as a stepping stone while they complete college. A good percentage of them after completing their degree have seen the challenges they would face at UPS if they made it a career and move on and use their degrees. Those employees of 2 to 4 years contribute pension which helps ours because they will not be receiving a pension.

rod

Retired 22 years
Well I won't say it wouldn't be noticed (a decreased pension) but I still have a backup plan. The wife don't know it be she will be going back to work.

Dutch Dawg

Then again if a Union plan is truly in distress and the Trustees determine it necessary to reduce plan benefits for any new retirees; why should someone that possibly retired just prior to the reduction, yet had no more monie$ contributed on their behalf, still be guaranteed significantly more?

Isn't the Union concept all about equality?

rod

Retired 22 years
Then again if a Union plan is truly in distress and the Trustees determine it necessary to reduce plan benefits for any new retirees; why should someone that possibly retired just prior to the reduction, yet had no more monie$ contributed on their behalf, still be guaranteed significantly more?

Isn't the Union concept all about equality?

Why should you be guaranteed social security just because you've paid a little bit into it while we paid all our working careers?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Why should you be guaranteed social security just because you've paid a little bit into it while we paid all our working careers?
I think you mean because the government made you give them money but only for the betterment of all of course.

brown metal coffin

The table is being set. Over the last year or so I have seen a few companies where the unions have voted to abolish their pension plans in favor of matching 401k. I could see this playing out over the long term as we are completely upside down with people pulling out of the pension as those that are putting into it right now. What I want to know is; if UPS doesn't contribute to the pension fund anymore where does that balance go and how is it dispersed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When a company pulls out of a pension plan they have to pay a withdrawal liability. UPS paid $6.1B to pull out of Central States and just under $1B in New England.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Just read the House attached the amendment to the spending plan to attack our pension plan. Said it would affect 1.5 million workers, 400,000 of them in the Central State Plan. Nancy Pelosi said she hoped the rank and file would support this bill. Can't get a break from the Democrats who are supposed to support workers. If it gets through the House, Harry Reid seems to be supporting the bill to avoid a government shutdown. And most likely Obama will follow along. They don't seem to be able to understand how many of these retiree's rely on their pension and live check to check. Many will end up on numerous Govt programs and lose their homes. Not all of them will have enough savings to prevent this. Lets continue to send more money overseas to support other countries economies and let our own people slide into poverty.

WhatsUP

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-congress-expected-20141210-column.html

I guess this is good for UPS employees and retirees in the Central States Plan?

The new provision effectively places UPS retirees last in line for benefit cuts among all "orphans" getting their benefits from Central States. Pension experts say that arrangement materially reduces the likelihood that the UPS retirees will suffer more than minimal cuts, if any cuts at all. In turn, that reduces the liability of UPS.

The Teamsters on Tuesday said this provision could save UPS $2 billion, calling it an "outrageous government bailout of one of the most profitable companies in America." The union noted, accurately, that it would likely result in deeper benefit cuts for non-UPS retirees--who would effectively be paying for UPS's break with their own retirement stipends.