Teamcare Retiree Insurance Doesn't Pay If Spouse is Disabled

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We finally got an answer to our second appeal today. It took eight months, but we won. I would like to thank Rosemary at Local 728 for her help, I'm going to make her something. By law, we will be refunded every cent that we repaid to doctors since last October. This never should have happened in the first place, it has been very stressful for my wife. She was denied treatment by some of her doctors until they were paid back. We will get everything back except co-pays.

3EF4F4B1-0E1B-4FC2-BDFF-1C7D7265B54E_1_201_a.jpeg

Thebrownblob

We finally got an answer to our second appeal today. It took eight months, but we won. I would like to thank Rosemary at Local 728 for her help, I'm going to make her something. By law, we will be refunded every cent that we repaid to doctors since last October. This never should have happened in the first place, it has been very stressful for my wife. She was denied treatment by some of her doctors until they were paid back. We will get everything back except co-pays.

View attachment 430316
That’s great news!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I was pissed off but fairly calm the last eight months. I knew that if we had to we would be able to pay off everybody. The stress really affected my wife though. She was in tears and couldn't sleep at times. She has a big inch-thick notebook she kept of all the bills and the times and who she talked to when she called billing supervisors. We had an autopay account with a CPAP supplier that took $1209 out of our checking account one day without notice. I had to call the bank and block them when they tried to do it again the next month. One hospital had a $20,000 bill for out-patient surgery and a vein-treatment doctor has a $18,000 bill. A couple of cataract surgeries have about $16,000 owed on them. We are about to settle her parent's estate and sell their house next month. We will be able to keep all that instead of paying off doctors with it. We had been putting off vacation but now we can start looking for a house on a beach somewhere.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I was pissed off but fairly calm the last eight months. I knew that if we had to we would be able to pay off everybody. The stress really affected my wife though. She was in tears and couldn't sleep at times. She has a big inch-thick notebook she kept of all the bills and the times and who she talked to when she called billing supervisors. We had an autopay account with a CPAP supplier that took $1209 out of our checking account one day without notice. I had to call the bank and block them when they tried to do it again the next month. One hospital had a $20,000 bill for out-patient surgery and a vein-treatment doctor has a $18,000 bill. A couple of cataract surgeries have about $16,000 owed on them. We are about to settle her parent's estate and sell their house next month. we will be able to keep all that instead of paying off doctor's with it. We had been putting off vacation but now we can start looking for a house on a beach somewhere.
Sounds like answered prayers.

View attachment 430316
Hell yeah!
Congratulations

View attachment 430316
Buddy, that's the best thing I've seen in weeks. Good for you, I can't imagine the sense of relief, your wife deserves the peace of mind. Cheers brother. 🍻

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
wow Scratch I just read this, OMG.
Teamcare is taking its sweet time paying back doctors too. We were told it would take 4-8 weeks to pay off doctors, its now been six weeks since we won. My wife got two letters in the mail today threatening to turn her over to collection agencies, despite her calling billing supervisors and sending them copies of the appeal letters. She was also sending small payments to these same doctors, they want all of it now.

UnionStrong

Teamcare is taking its sweet time paying back doctors too. We were told it would take 4-8 weeks to pay off doctors, its now been six weeks since we won. My wife got two letters in the mail today threatening to turn her over to collection agencies, despite her calling billing supervisors and sending them copies of the appeal letters. She was also sending small payments to these same doctors, they want all of it now.
That sucks. I can only imagine the stress. Stay strong, comfort and support your wife, many times they suffer in silence.

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
When my son was born 30 years ago I was part-time and did not have family coverage yet. My wife's insurance covered the delivery, the insurance would not pay until she returned to work, well she returned 6 weeks later, and they still did not pay. 3 months after he was born we were getting letters that we were going to be turned over to collections. After several phone calls, to the insurance co. talking to supervisors and getting nowhere, I called once again asked for a supervisor repeated my story and calmly asked for the number of the State Insurance Commissioner for my state, and the home state of the Insurance Company. She gladly gave me the numbers, but asked that I wait 2 hours to call them. 45 minutes later she called back and everything will be paid immediately. Apparently insurance companies don't like to have the insurance commissioner called on them,

Good Luck

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I had a bill, shortly after we married, I think before we were teamcare. It was going to collections, and also had hubs name on it. I was working and didnt have time to wait on the phone. They kept giving me the runaround. He got the number, called and tried to talk to them about it, and he said, what kind of donuts you like, coz im going to be on the doorstep, when you open and Im not leaving til this is paid. It worked, got paid that day. Guess they didnt want to meet him. Honestly I was p 'oed. that it took that but I seriously didnt have the time to deal with them. Ridiculous.
Once I had a dental bill and said I didnt work long enough to be covered. My manager had to send them a letter saying I had been under this insurance since 1984.

UnionStrong

I had a bill, shortly after we married, I think before we were teamcare. It was going to collections, and also had hubs name on it. I was working and didnt have time to wait on the phone. They kept giving me the runaround. He got the number, called and tried to talk to them about it, and he said, what kind of donuts you like, coz im going to be on the doorstep, when you open and Im not leaving til this is paid. It worked, got paid that day. Guess they didnt want to meet him. Honestly I was p 'oed. that it took that but I seriously didnt have the time to deal with them. Ridiculous.
Once I had a dental bill and said I didnt work long enough to be covered. My manager had to send them a letter saying I had been under this insurance since 1984.
Unbelievable